OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Boot suggestions?

Started by Tca126, March 11, 2024, 06:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tca126

I will be primarily hunting SW PA, OH, and WV this spring. I have been running Salomon Quest 4D Forces 2 GTX EN in the past. I like them but looking for other options.

Howie g

Hooka lace up hiking shoes/ boots are very nice .
I have terrible feet issues , these seem to be helping .

Tom007

Danner Vital 8 inch. They are light and it feels like you are walking on air. They come uninsulated and insulated. I hunt Northeast, so I got them insulated. They are waterproof for sure. They have more space in the toe area, most boots are tight there. They figured it out. My last pair of Danners lasted 15 years....Good luck!
"Solo hunter"

Prohunter3509

Russell moccasins  I started wearing them 5 years ago
Wouldn't trade them for any other.
Buy once , cry once. And be done with it

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

nyhunter

What Crispi Boot do you guys like for turkey hunting?

Dtrkyman

Go somewhere and try some on, I bought Crispi on their reputation, first boot I had bought in a long time without trying on first, though they seemed to fit ok something just did not work for me, they torched my heels!

Went back to Asolo, they fit my feet well and hold up, Soloman are super comfy and fit great but I torched two pairs I tried in under a year each, I put a lot of miles on hunting and just hiking, Soloman's are not up to par for off trail abuse.

10th Legionaire

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 11, 2024, 09:45:41 AM
Go somewhere and try some on, I bought Crispi on their reputation, first boot I had bought in a long time without trying on first, though they seemed to fit ok something just did not work for me, they torched my heels!

Went back to Asolo, they fit my feet well and hold up, Soloman are super comfy and fit great but I torched two pairs I tried in under a year each, I put a lot of miles on hunting and just hiking, Soloman's are not up to par for off trail abuse.

Good advise here. I try to buy boots from brick and mortar stores.

I was in Montana a couple years ago and went to the Kennetrek distribution center to try on a couple pairs super glad I did because I really didn't like the fit.

I did just by a pair of Chippewa snake boots on line. So far I think I got lucky.
Less is more

vt35mag

Crispi Thors

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

I've been using Irish Setter VaprTrek for a few years now and have been very happy with them.  I was thinking about ordering a new pair just this last week and today got a catalog from Sportsman's Guide where they are on sale for quite a bit less than I have ever seen them.  If there's interest, take a look at the S.G. online site.  I have no clue how they might compare to some of the more expensive boots in terms of comfort and wear, but I have pretty beat-up feet from years of abuse and they fit well, give good support, and have been very good boots for the money.   :icon_thumright:

ruination

If it's dry, danner hiking boots.

If it's swampy - lacrosse alpha agility.
.410 Favors the Bold

MS TurkeyHunter

Quote from: appalachianassassin on March 11, 2024, 08:13:49 AM
Crispi
+ 1 my pair is going on 5 years now and got plenty of life left. This is coming from someone who has done a few elk trips and hunts turkey In very steep terrain every year. By far best boot I have owned!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tad1

Really gonna be no shortcut but just trying the boots on and seeing what you like.  Footwear super personal, people's feet  and needs very different.
I generally prefer lace up for better support, but of course high rubber boots have their place.  Got 10 years out of a pair of Cabela's Meindl .  They still sell their comfort fit models under their own website, but you're gonna pay for them.  Most recently I bought a pair of  Lowa renegades open box for a steal.  So far they seem like a nicely supportive and quite comfortable boot.  I've also been running a pair of Solomon ultra 4 mid.  People seem to really like these , They are crazy light with great traction.  I don't think I love them though, not enough support for me.  Just cannot have it all it seems. 
Good luck and let us know what you end up going with.
JT

tad1

Another thought, you can maybe buy a few pairs/sizes if a retailer has a good return policy, eliminate stress of getting the right fit.  Some retailers will even let you return footwear after you've worn it a good bit.  Carpet testing only takes you so far.  I think REI for  instance will let you return even if you put some miles in them and your feet were just not happy.  You may need to be a special "club " member though.