OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Just a Hypothetical

Started by zelmo1, March 10, 2024, 08:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffC

Dead Tom, then dead coyote. Why I still carry semi, like having options.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Kylongspur88

Shooting the turkey. At this point I'm kind of indifferent to coyotes

PalmettoRon

Since I'm turkey hunting not coyote hunting, I'd shoot the turkey and try to kill the coyote after the shot which would be very unlikely.

I did have a weird scenario last year where I shot the gobbler and low and behold a coyote I hadn't seen came running up an embankment and towards me. Really bad and weird move on her part which was even a better bonus taking out a female.

However, shooting or even trapping coyotes is about as productive in the long run as pizzing in the wind. It's virtually impossible to make a dent in the population, but it still feels good.

Turkey shot vs Coyote shot repeated a 1000 times, I'd make the same choice without thinking.

TrackeySauresRex

Definitely doing my best to get Two off.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

GobbleNut

That possibility is a real "hypothetical" around these parts.  I have only had one coyote show up in all the years I have been turkey hunting...and I didn't shoot him even though it did not involve a gobbler and a choice to be made at the time.  The choice would be the same regardless...I would shoot the gobbler every time...and the coyote would go on his merry way even if I did have the time to shoot him. 

I have watched a lot of interactions between turkeys and coyotes over the years and have never witnessed a coyote attempting to catch a turkey.  Once again, "in these parts" they just don't seem to be a problem for adult turkeys. Now, I do question what their impact is on poults since I have never witnessed that circumstance, but as far as predators go, I think coyotes are pretty far down the list of concerns around here.  As we have discussed previously, the benefits of coyotes possibly taking out other predators...especially nest raiders...seems to me to be something worth considering.

On the other hand, I have witnessed coyotes harassing deer and pronghorns...especially does with fawns...on many an occasion.  Now, THAT is a real concern for me, but it also occurs in entirely different habitats where we don't generally have turkeys.  I would take those coyotes out in a heartbeat if I had the chance, but that hypothetical situation where I am in a position to do so also very rarely occurs.

Tail Feathers

I'm shooting the turkey. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

bowbird87

Im not passing on a gobbler at 25 yards for any other critter.  Im not even shooting one while I'm turkey hunting period.

jb1069

I probably would have shot the gobbler at 35 yards and never seen the coyote. I know I know Patience!

Badger

While hunting in mid-west, I had about 6 to 8 jakes at about 10 yrds. away and a gobbler was calling and coming to me; however, I could not see gobbler.  Out of the CRP grass this coyote charged at the jakes and I put a stop to the coyote at about 10 yrds.  A year before approx. 150 yrds. away in same area, when I was walking in dark I keep hearing something in field, I turned on a light and a coyote was about 20 yrds from me.  After the second time coyo came close I loaded my gun.  I was in some brush and calling, but after a few hours I decided to move and when I did 2 coyotes jumped up in the brush near me and ran away. I have seen up to three together hunting and running deer.  However, I have heard packs in night time when walking out of woods while bow hunting. 

jhoward11

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Paulmyr

Back in the day when I might have set out a decoy out, I seen a coyote walk right up to a Jake decoy from across a field. The closer the yote got the slower his movement became, seemed like he was getting ready for some action. There was no attempt  by him to hide, he just walked right up. When he got to about 5 yds, he stretched his nose out to get a sniff. When I said 'kick mud" the critter promptly exited the field.

The approach the coyote took seemed to me like he was expecting the turkeys to move and was looking for indications of sickness or injury. If he would have seen any indication one if the decoys was less than 100% I'm sure the chase would have been on.

The question I have for those so readily willing to shoot a coyote because they killing turkeys is when all the coyotes, and larger carnivores are gone what's going to be around to remove the sick diseased animals from the flock/herd? Natures balance has these animals for a reason. They're generally not taking down the healthiest of the flock/herd. They prey on the weak, the sick and the dying.

If you take all or severely limit carnivores you'll most likely be removing one of the natural checks and balances that has the ability to help limit the spread of disease through a flock/herd.

The law of unintended consequences rears it's ugly head once again because not only will you be removing an animal that has the possibility to help control the spread of disease your also removing one of the few natural predators that helps control populations of omnivorous mammals(the ones that like to eat turkey eggs).

So the next time your hypothetically shooting a coyote for reasons other than harvesting for use, please consider the coyote your seeing sneak a check list gobbler is most likely assessing then situation trying to figure out if he has a chance to accomplish one of the intended jobs assigned to him by nature.

What isn't natural is for the healthiest of the flock/herd to be removed on a regular basis along with the predators that help remove disease from the flock that's already been weakened because many of the healthiest, the ones with the best genes for survival, are shot every year.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

JeffC

Quote from: Paulmyr on March 11, 2024, 01:00:38 PM
Back in the day when I might have set out a decoy out, I seen a coyote walk right up to a Jake decoy from across a field. The closer the yote got the slower his movement became, seemed like he was getting ready for some action. There was no attempt  by him to hide, he just walked right up. When he got to about 5 yds, he stretched his nose out to get a sniff. When I said 'kick mud" the critter promptly exited the field.

The approach the coyote took seemed to me like he was expecting the turkeys to move and was looking for indications of sickness or injury. If he would have seen any indication one if the decoys was less than 100% I'm sure the chase would have been on.

The question I have for those so readily willing to shoot a coyote because they killing turkeys is when all the coyotes, and larger carnivores are gone what's going to be around to remove the sick diseased animals from the flock/herd? Natures balance has these animals for a reason. They're generally not taking down the healthiest of the flock/herd. They prey on the weak, the sick and the dying.

If you take all or severely limit carnivores you'll most likely be removing one of the natural checks and balances that has the ability to help limit the spread of disease through a flock/herd.

The law of unintended consequences rears it's ugly head once again because not only will you be removing an animal that has the possibility to help control the spread of disease your also removing one of the few natural predators that helps control populations of omnivorous mammals(the ones that like to eat turkey eggs).

So the next time your hypothetically shooting a coyote for reasons other than harvesting for use, please consider the coyote your seeing sneak a check list gobbler is most likely assessing then situation trying to figure out if he has a chance to accomplish one of the intended jobs assigned to him by nature.

What isn't natural is for the healthiest of the flock/herd to be removed on a regular basis along with the predators that help remove disease from the flock that's already been weakened because many of the healthiest, the ones with the best genes for survival, are shot every year.

Coyotes show up on my cameras every spring when fawns are born, I have seen our population keep increasing, like someone said, keep shooting them and doesnt seem to put dent into population. I do my part to keep coyote population in check.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

bbcoach

Coyote gets it, because the Gobbler isn't going to be hanging around with a yote at 60 yards.  That gobbler won't let you get within 200 yards of him, so he isn't going to hang around with a yote at 60.    Hypothetically! 

dan

The gobbler, as quickly as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk