OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Just a Hypothetical

Started by zelmo1, March 10, 2024, 08:36:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

You have worked a bird that is on your hitlist into range, just waiting for a good shot. Then you see a coyote sneaking in. The coyote is 35 yards and the Tom is at 25, opposite directions. Which do you shoot? Just stretching my brain, lol. Z

P.S.
         I shoot the gobbler first and try a follow up on the yote. Z

Paulmyr

I plan on eating the turkey sooo........the coyote? Not so much.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Howie g

Probably shot the gobbler , but the yote gets it to if he hangs around .

Sir-diealot

If I had been hunting the turkey pretty much exclusively and the coyote came in I would take the turkey. That said Coyote aren't in season and I lost being able to hunt for to many years because of my last car accident and am not going to lose it again to shoot a coyote out of season.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

WV Ridge Reaper

They don't call me wild bill fur nothing

Personal experience that has happened..i don't believe coyotes hurt the turkeys as much as everyone thinks..And ill leave it at that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squidd

Coyote, as i've had fewer opportunities to shoot one!

mcw3734

Greg Massey

If it's a hit list gobbler and i had been hunting him for a long time, I'll shoot the gobbler... But i hope in the future the coyote gets run over or hit by a train... trap

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Big Jeremy

I thought the hypothetical part was a "hit list" turkey...

I'm shooting the turkey every time. But the similar situations I've had have ended up with both getting away. Dog bumps bird, both flee unscathed.

crow

Dtrkyman

Both!

Sixes

100 percent, I'm shooting the turkey.

But, I have shot coyotes that came in while working a bird on a couple of occasions. I had one bird fired gobbling on the roost and lightly calling to him when a yote came in to investigate. I killed the coyote and the bird went silent.

Still worth killing it.

I've also shot hogs on turkey hunts

joey46

Dr Juice

Gobbler first and then the Coyote if he remains in shooting distance to experience the same fate.