OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do you travel to hunt?

Started by mcw3734, March 09, 2024, 05:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottTaulbee

A. Door knocking doesn't get you anywhere around here, and with 3 kids, the oldest being 6. Working 6 to 7 days a week, sometimes 40 or 50 days in a row without a day off, I can't stray too far from home. Most of the public I hunt is somewhere between 1 and 3 hours from home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paintbrush

C & D for me now, but have done E & F in the past.

deathfoot

ruination

This will be my first year traveling.

Just local states just to see what's out there.  Won't extend my season any.
.410 Favors the Bold

PALongspur

Most years it's C, but some years it's E.

Sir-diealot

B

Sent from my SM-S136DL using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Jhp6767

B for now, plan to do some out of state hunting once my son is a little older!

MichaelC

I don't post much but I'll chime in. 
I'm a solid F on landowners I've met and maintained a great relationship with over many years- always DIY, never an outfitter or club. Almost always hunt solo, put on a ton of miles in all directions for spring turkeys as well as fall/ winter ducks, geese and upland.  Would bring my lab turkey hunting but he's crappy running a diaphragm call- he's a mess with a wingbone.  Definitely ratcheted it up and focus on week days being retired 5 yrs... and the key of it all having a loving and supportive wife. 

GobbleNut

...A fitting poll for this bunch...   ;D
Personally, I don't fit any of the categories exactly.  I would say I am a hybrid of C and E for the most part.  Wherever I go, I prefer to hunt public land where it is available and that has a reasonable number of turkeys as well as a tolerable number of hunters.  There are a few places (and an increasing number with each passing year, it seems) where that is an unrealistic expectation and I generally try to avoid them.  In those cases, I sometimes have to resort to going the private route, but those cases have been few and far between over the years. 

topnotch

ddturkeyhunter

Strong E been traveling ten hours every year for past twenty years to SD Black Hill, every since I got hooked on turkey hunting. Because I was not fortunate to be born in a souther state that allow you to chase turkeys for a month. When I start in MN in my area we got five days to hunt, and drew permits every couple of years. Now at least I get to hunt seven days every year in my home state. But now you might understand why I am one of them wicked non-resident hunters trying to hunt in different states. Just to make my season longer.

Kyle_Ott

E - 7-10 states every spring; mostly public when out of state but sometimes private

RutnNStrutn

F, because early in my turkey hunting experience, I hunted public land out of state, and spent several hundred dollars on unsuccessful hunts. So nowadays when I travel to hunt, it is even more expensive, so I try to increase the odds of my success.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

TonyTurk

95% of the time, it's D for me.  I hunt private land in 2 states, all within a 5 hour drive from the house.

I will occasionally hunt some nearby public, but do so later in the season once the crowds have thinned out a bit.

I hope to become more of a traveling hunter after my youngest is done with college in a couple of years and I actually have some money.