OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Do you travel to hunt?

Started by mcw3734, March 09, 2024, 05:44:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mcw3734

There is always talk about out-of-state hunters during the spring, makes me wonder what percentage of OG members travel. Non-scientific poll of course, but just curious. What over simplified category might you fall into?

A) I generally only hunt my home state on PUBLIC land.
B) I generally only hunt my home state on private/club/outfitted land.

C) I'll also go to a neighboring state, but fairly close to home, to hunt PUBLIC.
D) I'll also go to a neighboring state, but fairly close to home, to hunt private/club/outfitted.

E) I'm a traveling hunter. Many hours from home and hunt multiple states if I can on PUBLIC.
F) I'm a traveling hunter. Many hours from home and hunt multiple states if I can on private/club/outfitted.

G) I generally only plan to hunt my home state. But... should I tag-out and have the time and money, I may look out-of-state to extend the season.

Jwall

G

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quavers59

I am in the "C" category.  I live in New York and drive 20 miles South to hunt in New Jersey on Public.

Treerooster

E        But I hunt a little private too.

mcw3734

Quote from: quavers59 on March 09, 2024, 05:57:44 PM
  I am in the "C" category.  I live in New York and drive 20 miles South to hunt in New Jersey on Public.

Thanks Quavers! And folks like you are why I thought to make that category. Many live near a state border and so I would think there are a lot of situation where out-of-staters are actually still fairly 'local'.

310 gauge

B for now and the past, but I'm leaning towards the  G  category if I can talk some friends into going.

Dtrkyman

My first out of state turkey hunt was in the 90s, travel every year and hunt public 95% of the time.

So I guess E.

CALLM2U

E - That's the closest to what I normally do.  About 3-4 states a year and all on public. 

squidd

PaLmbHngr

bbcoach

B and F, but I haven't been out of state in a few years

dan

G

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

arkrem870

I'll be hunting 5-10 states like I've done for the last 20 + years. A totally different grouping compared to years past though due to closed seasons. Draws etc.

Vintage