OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Be a responsible consumer and Mississippi

Started by arkrem870, March 09, 2024, 10:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird22

Quote from: ruination on March 18, 2024, 09:19:47 PM
Sure.

Put your opener in line with or slightly after others.  That has been shown to be good for the turkeys anyways.

Reduce NR bag limits.

Cut down on permits.

But there absolutely should be reciprocity.  You should pay $500 wherever you go.  Specially since your pushing hunters to other states.
Neighboring states who pushed their openers back is what pushed more hunters here. Kudos to MS for not following suit so far.

Pretty sure it'd cost me $500 to go to Ark and kill 1 bird. So they'd be getting a bargain to pay $500 for 3 here, right?

I'm done replying to folks who have NO experience with hunting MS? Come hunt here next year and see for yourself is all I can say.

ruination

Quote from: Jbird22 on March 18, 2024, 09:32:12 PM
Quote from: ruination on March 18, 2024, 09:19:47 PM
Sure.

Put your opener in line with or slightly after others.  That has been shown to be good for the turkeys anyways.

Reduce NR bag limits.

Cut down on permits.

But there absolutely should be reciprocity.  You should pay $500 wherever you go.  Specially since your pushing hunters to other states.
Neighboring states who pushed their openers back is what pushed more hunters here. Kudos to MS for not following suit so far.

I'm done replying to folks who have NO experience with hunting MS? Come hunt here next year and see for yourself is all I can say.
Yep.  And instead of pushing yours back you're making a money grab.

People are still going to pay it.  But hey, at least you guys will have money to...do something totally unrelated to turkeys with.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

.410 Favors the Bold

Howie g

OPINIONS,,,  the old saying , there like ———— , everybody's got one ,comes to mind . 

Coldbeer

Reciprocity? Should Mississippi only allow Wisconsin residents to 7 days worth of hunting and a draw?

Iowa residents to their portion of a 252 total non resident tags drawn per 7 day season?

Or Illinois residents to draw only, and 1 bird?

Indiana residents to 1 bird?

Arkansas to 1 bird and 2 weeks to hunt?

Missouri to 2, and only one in the first week so they have to come twice to fill them both?

Kansas to a draw?

Mississippi's season is wide open for 30 days and 3 turkeys to everyone in the country. During the draw, it's what, one of 2 states that are open? Again, let them drop it back to April first, instead of a 2 week draw, then no one can hunt in Ms in March.  What good does that do for anyone? I do not see how Mississippi is the enemy here.

ruination

Quote from: Coldbeer on March 18, 2024, 09:57:06 PM
Reciprocity? Should Mississippi only allow Wisconsin residents to 7 days worth of hunting and a draw?

Iowa residents to their portion of a 252 total non resident tags drawn per 7 day season?

Missouri to 2, and only one in the first week so they have to come twice to fill them both?

Kansas to a draw?

Mississippi's season is wide open for 30 days and 3 turkeys to everyone in the country. During the draw, it's what, one of 2 states that are open? Again, let them drop it back to April first, instead of a 2 week draw, then no one can hunt in Ms in March.  What good does that do for anyone? I do not see how Mississippi is the enemy here.

This really isn't a hard concept.  Youyr comparing things done in the name of hunting quality and conservation, a lot of which residents themselves have to abide by, to something done to make money.
.410 Favors the Bold

sasquatch1

Quote from: Jbird22 on March 18, 2024, 09:14:43 PM
Quote from: ruination on March 18, 2024, 09:10:40 PM
Quote from: Jbird22 on March 18, 2024, 09:01:06 PM
Quote from: ruination on March 18, 2024, 08:57:03 PM
Quote from: Jbird22 on March 18, 2024, 08:56:04 PM
Quote from: ruination on March 18, 2024, 08:48:31 PM
Quote from: joey46 on March 18, 2024, 08:27:13 PM
Quote from: dublelung on March 18, 2024, 04:59:15 PM
Quote from: Jbird22 on March 18, 2024, 03:22:29 PM
Quote from: joey46 on March 18, 2024, 01:08:21 PM
Reciprocity for all.  Anything else is hypocritical.  Don't want to see any resident of these non-res restricting states in a Florida area such as Big Cypress or any of Florida's three NATIONAL Forest until the season is two weeks old.  As my mother always said "what's good for the goose is good for the gander".  I can't hunt your nationally owned land for the first two weeks you don't hunt mine for an equal period. 
Again, when is the last time you hunted MS?

There's a reason he's dodged that question twice jbird!

Yes there is a reason because it means nothing in this discussion.  If you think it does you are missing the whole point.You have a problem with reciprocity ?
Wonder how many of these boys go to Florida and then north to extend their seasons.

Never hunted Florida a day in my life.
And....this was a two part statement lol.

Ok..AND I've never hunted in another state after season was closed in my own. Did I miss anything else or are you just out of bullets now? Lol
But you have hunted other states.

There's no real bullets.  And there's more than one person in this thread.

For example, I have zero desire to hunt MS.  But even I can recognize shitty money grabs.

Yes, but you plainly said starting early and extending. I've never done either.

Again, come hunt here and you'll probably understand that something HAS to be done. The reports I've heard from a certain NF here over opening weekend were insane.
I've been a life time NF non resident hunter. Do I like the new draw? Hell no especially since I didn't draw and see the odds just getting worse.

Do I think a move was needed? Yes, I just don't know which move would be best. One move that would have been nice is to ban videoing for profit on public lands. Really kick the teeth in on the ones that made this become a mess so fast.

Now, on to the "claims to unreal crowds". Most of it is from big cry babies. I've seen the crowds, been part of the crowds, and hunted with the crowds for years in some of the heaviest hunted areas. I've likely hunted more of the NF as a NR than you have as a resident. So I'm not speaking on "what I have heard".

To make that claim now with the limited numbers in the draw makes it seem even more like just cry babies being babies. I've never struggled to find a place to hunt in peace or to kill my birds. I rarely ever had to even hunt into April.

Alabama and such pushing seasons back def did not help the Ms situation. I do think if just a few states opened together it would accomplish the same thing pressure wise as the draw did, without needing a draw but I do think it's good MS didn't push theirs back and penalize the residents. The WORST thing to do is have different seasons public/private. WTF Bama? Georgia???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jbird22

Quote from: Coldbeer on March 18, 2024, 09:57:06 PM

Kansas to a draw?

Exactly my point! People love throwing around words like reciprocity until they realize what true reciprocity means. I'm glad you fully understand the full version as I do.

TauntoHawk

Nearly all of us here like turkey hunting, and id wager most also don't like crowds.

I don't know what the answer is because I see a scary trend in restricted access and pricing hunters out of opportunity but there's also a massive rise in demand on a finite resource.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

sasquatch1

Quote from: TauntoHawk on March 18, 2024, 10:44:49 PM
Nearly all of us here like turkey hunting, and id wager most also don't like crowds.

I don't know what the answer is because I see a scary trend in restricted access and pricing hunters out of opportunity but there's also a massive rise in demand on a finite resource.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk
Only true way, or easiest way out of this is more public lands but there likely won't be any meaningful increases there. Timber companies owning tons of the land and turning it into nothing more than pine thickets don't help.

The pricing excuse is just that, a made up excuse. If people can't afford a few hundred dollars a year to do what they love, then they just don't love it like they claim. Those same guys likely can be seen buying $7 cans of dip everyday, drinking all week, driving around in new vehicles, and letting their ole lady shop Amazon all day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

joey46

The only TRUE way out of this in many areas is quota hunts for everyone on public land, reduced limits (3 public land birds - really - oink), and shortened seasons.  Squeezing the non-res out of NATIONALLY owned land is discrimination and no quarter page statement in a hunting guide gets around that.  It is discrimination and is no matter what State does it. It will at some point come back and bite you in the butt.  Anyone that thinks squeezing the non-res out by any means possible will return their state to the glory days is foolish. I play the Florida quota game with preference points and limited draws and while a PIA does assure an occasional good public land hunt.  A non-res here is playing on equal footing.  Some believe too equal and also whine about to the game commission. I like being able to head north and hunt the Daniel Boone on opening day in KY or the Wayne in Ohio on opening day if I desire.  So far they haven't caved to their state's whiners.  If you don't see this MS non-res discrimination is politically motivated your head is in the sand.  Is it really all about the birds or all about the locals' votes?

slave601

Quote from: arkrem870 on March 18, 2024, 02:00:39 PM
Alabama delaying there regular season 10 days and farther delaying public land until April 1 has a lot to do with the situation. Also add Georgia, Tennessee, and Oklahoma from an early season to the delayed season group...... more turkey hunters than ever pursuing turkeys on public lands influenced by social media. It's the perfect storm. 

I had a good discussion Saturday with a young man with a camera and a pinhoti hat.  He told me about all the guys coming to hunt from out of state and it used to not be near this bad.  I explained to him the evolution of Arkansas duck hunting and now the evolution of turkey hunting taking place before our eyes. I hope he took it to heart. Loose lips sink ships.  Hunt because you love to play the game. Don't hunt because you need to be validated by strange men online.
WELL SAID!
"thinnin the flock"

slave601

I'm not for a big pushback on the season here in Mississippi but I'd like for it to match bamas. At least it wouldn't be all crosshairs on Mississippi come March 15th. I've hunted Florida and I've seen what social media has done to south Florida. It's ridiculous and they better get a grip on it fast. Last year was crazy. This year was worse!!
"thinnin the flock"

joey46

I believe even a portion of the Big Cypress went into an early quota this year BUT the non-resident was on equal footing in the draw.  That's the meaning of "National".

Shiloh

I am not a fan of pushing back season.  There is no evidence that it has helped in any other states.  Also, MS has the best guy in the country at the helm as lead turkey biologist, so for that we should be thankful.  The public that I hunt is no worse than it was in 1997 when I took a college visit day to hunt and road a bike several miles in only to have a guy slip in between me and the turkey and shoot him 75 yards in front of me.  We've got it pretty good down here. 

Kygobblergetter

I personally think Mississippi handled things perfectly... as stated, there's no evidence to support pushing seasons back has helped. Too many states jumping on that bandwagon in my opinion. Other states doing that meant Mississippi had to make a change. They did so to relieve pressure but also remove as little opportunity as possible. Sure I hate that I have to draw a tag if I want to hunt there. It sucks. But  I think it was really the best option to handle the increased pressure without removing tons of opportunity. I don't like the trend of trying to price people out of hunting in general but it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk