OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Be a responsible consumer and Mississippi

Started by arkrem870, March 09, 2024, 10:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Howie g

Quote from: joey46 on March 17, 2024, 08:27:33 PM
Reciprocity reciprocity reciprocity for any state that pulls this stunt on a non-resident.  Don't want to see a MS license tag in Big Cypress or any Florida National Forest the first two weeks of next year's turkey season.  Stay home or be a hypocrite.  Let's see how this works out.
Yeah right ,,,  because it's the common sportsman from Ms fault. 
Get real .

joey46

Yes it is since they have been the ones crying about the non-res hunting "their" NATIONAL FOREST.  It isn't all about the money it is all about the votes.

runngun

Quote from: joey46 on March 17, 2024, 08:55:13 PM
Yes it is since they have been the ones crying about the non-res hunting "their" NATIONAL FOREST.  It isn't all about the money it is all about the votes.
BAM!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Jbird22

Quote from: joey46 on March 17, 2024, 08:55:13 PM
Joey, when's the last time you hunted MS?

roberthyman14

Florida needs to join the others with no out of state hunters for the 1st 2 weeks.  Plenty of Alabama trucks around this weekend. And looks like THP was around the area as well.  To many residents hunting now as well.  Gonna need a quota draw just to make it safer. 

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

silvestris

The major cause of the problem is people.  Too many consumers chasing a limited resource.  If only people had shut their mouths rather than blabbing about what an exciting and "inviting" endeavor turkey hunting "was".  We have met the enemy an it is US.  This the circumstance in which we find ourselves, Get used to it or find another endeavor .
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

sasquatch1

Quote from: roberthyman14 on March 17, 2024, 09:59:24 PM
Florida needs to join the others with no out of state hunters for the 1st 2 weeks.  Plenty of Alabama trucks around this weekend. And looks like THP was around the area as well.  To many residents hunting now as well.  Gonna need a quota draw just to make it safer. 

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk
Nothing has taken away our rights more than the good ole safety excuse.

Let me do what I can to protect me, not the government with more restrictions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cowboy

Quote from: mudhen on March 10, 2024, 05:57:52 PM
When hunting midwest states, many of the OOS  vehicles have MS and/or AR plates...
This is accurate for my state.....public land for us is absolutely covered up last 3 or 4 years...just saying.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

arkrem870

Make sure to like and subscribe.......loose lips sink ships.

Howie g

Covid , you tubers and the new "look at me " young hunters craze " has certainly added to the over abundance of hunters on public ground in ms . 
But I can assure you that nobody on this forum or anybody else drives though Ms public on a daily basis more then I ..... it was over crowded way before all these new issues .   Facts ...
   I honestly don't see this new Oos draw thing helping ... it's still over crowded .
Like silvestris stated , it's simply to many people in the timber .   Adjust , or just don't go . 

Prohunter3509

Mississippi really needs to start there season april 1st

dirtnap

Quote from: silvestris on March 18, 2024, 12:40:59 AM
The major cause of the problem is people.  Too many consumers chasing a limited resource.  If only people had shut their mouths rather than blabbing about what an exciting and "inviting" endeavor turkey hunting "was".  We have met the enemy an it is US.  This the circumstance in which we find ourselves, Get used to it or find another endeavor .

I agree and I've been saying this for years.

ruination

The major problem is your states don't reinvest in the resource.

Garbage land that holds plenty of turkeys is not exactly expensive.

But you guys would rather sell public land than buy more.

Extra couple acres here and there really adds up quick.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
.410 Favors the Bold

paboxcall

Quote from: ruination on March 18, 2024, 08:16:09 AM
Extra couple acres here and there really adds up quick...

Pennsylvania is a good example of this practice. Decades of doing just this.

Quote from: ruination on March 18, 2024, 08:16:09 AM
But you guys would rather sell public land than buy more.

Of course, the new short-sighted thinking is the Game Commission has too much public land. Legislature is pushing back on the Game Commission's further expansion using funds from licenses, sales of timber, and natural gas extracted from those public lands they manage. Same legislature attempted to transfer $150 million of those funds from the Game Commission into the general fund.

Even when a state gets it right, along comes a misguided faction who think only about today.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

sasquatch1

While helping to limit the amount of hunters, something else goes on it seems when these draw type of things happen. Like a psychological type deal with people or something. It's as if somehow a draw CREATES demand.

Example. This draw has now been in place for only 3 seasons.

Year 1, everyone who applied drew. Roughly 1k ppl applied (probably the same amount that mostly went before the draw)

Year 2, I think around 1500 applied so about 80% of the apps drew

Year 3, I believe over 2k people applied and now the odds were 50%.

Do you guys really think, if the draw never happened we would've had over 2k hunters that first 2 weeks this year? I somehow don't but I'm not sure. Maybe it's people having their whole
Families apply to try and up their odds? Maybe now the thing to do is like the YouTubers. All 6-8 people apply and long as 1 draws we can hunt and video and look cool.

The same sort of thing happened to the Idaho elk draw when they got away from OTC. The demand skyrocketed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro