OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Be a responsible consumer and Mississippi

Started by arkrem870, March 09, 2024, 10:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkrem870

I don't think Mississippi is wrong here. I appreciate them taking care of their residents amongst the onslaught of non resident pressure since their state was burned. They have the data to back it up.  It doesn't take a genius to see how much has been lost so far and what's coming down the pipeline in other states. Loose Lips sink ships. Bet it. You know it and I know it.

Old Gobbler

It's the typical pattern with all southern states ..one will initiate a" protectionist " (raised fee)out of state hunters and all the surrounding states follow suit QUICKLY

Florida started with the 100 or 125 turkey stamp ..all the others will likely reciprocate

Florida in the south zone ...started 1 week before the rest of the state ...then moved it to 2 weeks BIG MISTAKE .....people swarmed in

There are several other rules in Florida they need to revise...
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

mcw3734

Has anybody ever floated the idea of a delayed opener for non-residents, even if just on public land?

It's not unheard of. South Dakota, who I would assume has struggled with non-residents swamping their state chasing a prized gamebird, has a staggered pheasant season. For 2024: Youth 9/28-10/6, Resident ONLY 10/12-14, Traditional (includes non-Res) 10/19-1/31.

The famous Big Hole River in Montana has sections that have Saturday or Sunday closures to non-resident float fishing and all floating outfitters.

Look, I know it's not apples to apples, and I get it that the the main reason FL and MS are feeling hammered is because of their early openers and limited public lands. But... if increased fees and limited draws aren't relieving the non-resident pressure, maybe restrictive dates could be explored? I don't know, just a thought.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on March 09, 2024, 05:27:25 PM
I know people don't like that sort of thing but I certainly understand why a state would do that. I'd personally like to see my state increase fees and go to a draw hunt for non residents to increase revenue and limit out of state pressure. The public land here has suffered from over pressure and the limit has had to be reduced on how many birds can be taken on public land. I hunt about 50/50 public/private but it's not uncommon to be outnumbered 3-1 by out of state hunters on public land. It's a states right to set whatever fees it wants when it comes to its recourses. If it's too high people won't pay it and the state will adjust accordingly.
I agree with this 100% and have been considering drawing something up to present to the commissioners about this.

I hunted the first 13 days of our season last year, the first 5 of that were on vacation time from work, getting to the public areas at 3 am and being in the woods until their feet touched the limb. And I can tell you, during those first 13 days, I saw 90% out of state tags. And it was like trying to use the urinal at a MLB game, as soon as one truck left there were 3 waiting to fill its spot. I've never seen anything like that. I would like to see a draw myself here. Or like Mississippi, a wild turkey stamp that costs more than a couple bucks. The way I see it, guys will pay 200$ to 600+$ for a call, 150$ to 700$ for a vest, 2,000$ for a gun, 500$ for a sight on that gun, and 500$ on the newest camo that's in style that year, 100,000$ for a truck, and 50+$ for a couple shells, they'll pay a couple hundred extra for a license. And if not, they don't need to be after them anyway. I'd gladly pay an increase in license fee if the money is going to turkeys in this state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruination

The best option is just to draw out of state licences like SD does for ducks.  Otherwise your just shifting the pressure.

But like OG said, this is going to have a domino effect that's going to hurt everyone, the prolific among us the worst.
.410 Favors the Bold

deathfoot

As a traveler, I think it wouldn't hurt for them to have limited licenses for non residents. And hike up the price slightly. $500 is rather steep.

There are many states I hunt that have limited tags. These states have good turkey populations and public land isn't too crowded (from my experience).

I do have a chance every year to hunt private in MS. I tend to bypass southern states tho. Nothing against them, I just love being out west from my home state. But if I decided to take my friend up on a free private land hunt, I'd hate to pay $500 for a weekend and I won't do it. I would pay $2-300 and put in for a draw with an application fee, no problem.

Just my two cents. But I can see where residents of MS and other states are tired of their public land being bombarded. Again, a reasonable increase in licenses and a limited draw for non resident tags would help.

Kylongspur88

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 10, 2024, 07:11:15 AM
I know people don't like that sort of thing but I certainly understand why a state would do that. I'd personally like to see my state increase fees and go to a draw hunt for non residents to increase revenue and limit out of state pressure. The public land here has suffered from over pressure and the limit has had to be reduced on how many birds can be taken on public land. I hunt about 50/50 public/private but it's not uncommon to be outnumbered 3-1 by out of state hunters on public land. It's a states right to set whatever fees it wants when it comes to its recourses. If it's too high people won't pay it and the state will adjust accordingly.
I agree with this 100% and have been considering drawing something up to present to the commissioners about this.

I hunted the first 13 days of our season last year, the first 5 of that were on vacation time from work, getting to the public areas at 3 am and being in the woods until their feet touched the limb. And I can tell you, during those first 13 days, I saw 90% out of state tags. And it was like trying to use the urinal at a MLB game, as soon as one truck left there were 3 waiting to fill its spot. I've never seen anything like that. I would like to see a draw myself here. Or like Mississippi, a wild turkey stamp that costs more than a couple bucks. The way I see it, guys will pay 200$ to 600+$ for a call, 150$ to 700$ for a vest, 2,000$ for a gun, 500$ for a sight on that gun, and 500$ on the newest camo that's in style that year, 100,000$ for a truck, and 50+$ for a couple shells, they'll pay a couple hundred extra for a license. And if not, they don't need to be after them anyway. I'd gladly pay an increase in license fee if the money is going to turkeys in this state.

Problem is getting KDFWR commission to actually deviate from anything that wasn't already being done 40 years ago. I honestly don't think any of them have any kind of vision for what hunting in general will look like in the next 10 years. The only way they'll budge is if groups like nwtf and other sportsman's groups put pressure on them, or if the media starts sniffing around and pointing out the issues they fail to address.   

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on March 10, 2024, 11:13:56 AM
Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 10, 2024, 07:11:15 AM

Problem is getting KDFWR commission to actually deviate from anything that wasn't already being done 40 years ago. I honestly don't think any of them have any kind of vision for what hunting in general will look like in the next 10 years. The only way they'll budge is if groups like nwtf and other sportsman's groups put pressure on them, or if the media starts sniffing around and pointing out the issues they fail to address.
I'll be honest with you, I don't think that would help. I was a board member of the KY chapter of the Backcountry Hunters and Anglers for 2 years. I attempted to speak with the commissioners many times, most won't give you the time of day. They follow the money, plain and simple. And even within themselves you've got a couple that actually turkey hunt, and not like we do on the forum. You're weekend, pretty weather guys. The rest are clueless about the wildlife, habitat, season structure, etc.

mudhen

When hunting midwest states, many of the OOS  vehicles have MS and/or AR plates... 
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

joey46

Obviously time for total reciprocity.  If my state's residents can't hunt your state's public nationally owned land with your residents during a part of the season then your residents can't hunt my state's public nationally owned land for an equal time period.  I guess the Big Cypress and the Ocala National Forest will be the place for the Florida resident to be in the early season while chasing the Osceola.  No pesky MS or others from a few nearby states will be there.  Of course if your state doesn't discriminate enjoy the freedom of being an American with equal access to Florida's, and the nations',  public land.  For some reason the word "hypocrites" keeps popping up in my mind.   

ruination

Quote from: joey46 on March 10, 2024, 06:26:05 PM
Obviously time for total reciprocity.  If my state's residents can't hunt your state's public nationally owned land with your residents during a part of the season then your residents can't hunt my state's public nationally owned land for an equal time period.  I guess the Big Cypress and the Ocala National Forest will be the place for the Florida resident to be in the early season while chasing the Osceola.  No pesky MS or others from a few nearby states will be there.  Of course if your state doesn't discriminate enjoy the freedom of being an American with equal access to Florida's, and the nations',  public land.  For some reason the word "hypocrites" keeps popping up in my mind.   

For sure.
.410 Favors the Bold

arkrem870

The worst part is........it wasn't always like it is now.  Crowded yes. Suffocating no. Loose lips sink ships.

Howie g

The price didn't detour any out of staters in my region of ms public on the youth hunt .
Several Arkansas tags invaded my favorite area .

mcw3734

If it helps any, it's worth reiterating that the feds (Forest Service and BLM) manage public land and that recreational access is open to all US citizens (and foreign visitors, for that matter). The specific act of taking game animals and fish is managed and regulated by the individual states.

All states allow for non-residents hunters and anglers to participate. How many they allow and how they manage those non-resident numbers is a balancing act with many factors, including resource (animals/fish), political (residence acceptance) and economic (outfitters/tourism), as well as others I'm sure.

silent tom

Quote from: Howie g on March 10, 2024, 09:01:00 PM
The price didn't detour any out of staters in my region of ms public on the youth hunt .
Several Arkansas tags invaded my favorite area .
You guys do a dang good job in the assistance of ruining our duck hunting WMA's.