News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Be a responsible consumer and Mississippi

Started by arkrem870, March 09, 2024, 10:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkrem870

Quote from: Kygobblergetter on March 19, 2024, 08:35:06 AM
I personally think Mississippi handled things perfectly... as stated, there's no evidence to support pushing seasons back has helped. Too many states jumping on that bandwagon in my opinion. Other states doing that meant Mississippi had to make a change. They did so to relieve pressure but also remove as little opportunity as possible. Sure I hate that I have to draw a tag if I want to hunt there. It sucks. But  I think it was really the best option to handle the increased pressure without removing tons of opportunity. I don't like the trend of trying to price people out of hunting in general but it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree

arkrem870

Quote from: Shiloh on March 19, 2024, 06:48:13 AM
I am not a fan of pushing back season.  There is no evidence that it has helped in any other states.  Also, MS has the best guy in the country at the helm as lead turkey biologist, so for that we should be thankful.  The public that I hunt is no worse than it was in 1997 when I took a college visit day to hunt and road a bike several miles in only to have a guy slip in between me and the turkey and shoot him 75 yards in front of me.  We've got it pretty good down here.

Yes

BB30

Quote from: arkrem870 on March 09, 2024, 10:59:34 AM
Mississippi added a required $100 turkey permit on top of all the other fees. Be a $500 hunt now. Not to mention a non resident draw requirement to hunt all public lands including national forest and fed ground.

This is a disturbing trend that's playing out all across the country including my home state Arkansas. Directly related to the major increase in non resident hunters

Social media is the driver of the trend. I urge everyone to be a responsible consumer / user this season.

Good luck to everyone and remember loose lips sink ships

Ha this was basically a retort to Arkansas pulling all of the oos shenanigans they did with their waterfowl season. It always cracks me up someone from Arkansas complaining about other out of state fees and then some of those same people complaining about out of staters ruining flooded timber in Arkansas.

I am in agreeance with you that is is a little ridiculous. You may not be one of those Arkansas guys that hates oos duck hunters coming to your state but you can thank those that do have a problem with it for the sudden cost rise in Mississippi oos turkey costs.

arkrem870

Except Arkansas left full access to federal lands..... whereas Mississippi did not. They only restricted state owned lands for non residents

Prospector

As a Mississippi rez I see both sides. It is NF and Public land but IT IS Ridulous the amoiunt of OOSH that pour in bc of a M15 opener. Not sure of the answer that solves ALL the pblms but a handle has got to be gotten on that! Maybe all the Southern states could open the same day or something? As far as limitations on non rez licenses I think our fat cat politicians are pulling the wool over our eyes. As in" the last 10 years we have averaged 1,498 non Rez licences so let's " limit" it to 1497 and try to keep the locals happy..."????
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

Howie g

Quote from: Prospector on March 20, 2024, 05:45:50 PM
As a Mississippi rez I see both sides. It is NF and Public land but IT IS Ridulous the amoiunt of OOSH that pour in bc of a M15 opener. Not sure of the answer that solves ALL the pblms but a handle has got to be gotten on that! Maybe all the Southern states could open the same day or something? As far as limitations on non rez licenses I think our fat cat politicians are pulling the wool over our eyes. As in" the last 10 years we have averaged 1,498 non Rez licences so let's " limit" it to 1497 and try to keep the locals happy..."???

The last sentence in this post is 100% spot on . 

Spurs

Quote from: BB30 on March 19, 2024, 03:12:19 PM
Quote from: arkrem870 on March 09, 2024, 10:59:34 AM
Mississippi added a required $100 turkey permit on top of all the other fees. Be a $500 hunt now. Not to mention a non resident draw requirement to hunt all public lands including national forest and fed ground.

This is a disturbing trend that's playing out all across the country including my home state Arkansas. Directly related to the major increase in non resident hunters

Social media is the driver of the trend. I urge everyone to be a responsible consumer / user this season.

Good luck to everyone and remember loose lips sink ships

Ha this was basically a retort to Arkansas pulling all of the oos shenanigans they did with their waterfowl season. It always cracks me up someone from Arkansas complaining about other out of state fees and then some of those same people complaining about out of staters ruining flooded timber in Arkansas.

I am in agreeance with you that is is a little ridiculous. You may not be one of those Arkansas guys that hates oos duck hunters coming to your state but you can thank those that do have a problem with it for the sudden cost rise in Mississippi oos turkey costs.
Arkansas resident here and I was a HUGE opponent to the BS they have done to the Non Residents.  It is horrible on the WMAs now.  The splits that they can hunt are freaking crazy.  Boats are stacked up like they have never been before.  Now you got growing support for a draw system for OOS...It's like people cannot understand how this could negatively impact their hunting opportunities. 

I'm for opening things up and letting nature take it's course.  If you can't handle the heat on public ground, then hang it up.
This year is going to suck!!!

joey46

Forum member Prospector added a reasonable suggestion in reply #9 on the Kansas Advisory thread.  Some might want to take a look at it.  Good topic for another "discussion" or be added to this one.  It would be reciprocity most could live with in regards to public land turkey just about anywhere.

Jbird22

Quote from: joey46 on March 22, 2024, 05:58:57 AM
Forum member Prospector added a reasonable suggestion in reply #9 on the Kansas Advisory thread.  Some might want to take a look at it.  Good topic for another "discussion" or be added to this one.  It would be reciprocity most could live with in regards to public land turkey just about anywhere.
That is why I have said multiple times in this thread that reciprocity must apply from ALL angles if you're going to apply it at all. It can't just apply to license fees but to not bag limits/season length/etc... Otherwise, it's not true reciprocity!

sasquatch1

Restrictions sound good until they affect you.

Now, it wouldn't matter to a large majority as most probably don't hunt as much as they act like they do,  but there's tons of early opener states residents who can't wait to run up north and catch openers elsewhere after they kill some at home.

This can be a very slippery slope that needs to be well thought out long term.

I do believe residents should reap some benefits but at what cost I'm not sure. I do think the WORST solution is different openers in the same stat from public/private. That probably HURTS the public lands more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WV Flopper

North Dakota and Reciprocity wouldn't work to well. But, I don't live in ND, works fine for me.

WV Flopper

My boys came home early from their trip to Mississippi. They had a good time and didn't see an overly large amount of pressure. They had good luck, especially for never being in the state before. Happy with the three bird limit.

Only had one day that they interacted with another hunter!

Seen one rattler late last week. Other than that a great trip, worth their price of playing in the game. I wasn't there but it didn't sound too bad to me. They even camped with some young Arkansas guys one night...

arkrem870

It really sucks to not draw two years in a row.... What crap luck

joey46

Quote from: WV Flopper on March 22, 2024, 08:10:57 PM
North Dakota and Reciprocity wouldn't work to well. But, I don't live in ND, works fine for me.
Won't work in Alaska either.  Reciprocity of some type would be a reasonable compromise for most of the States in the Eastern turkey's range.  Just another IMO to piz off some but any State acting like they are worried about turkey numbers that allows their hunters (res or non-res) to take three birds  on public land is playing a political game.  Play all they want but not on federal land that I should be able to access and hunt the same as any other of the nations residents.