turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Be a responsible consumer and Mississippi

Started by arkrem870, March 09, 2024, 10:59:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkrem870

Mississippi added a required $100 turkey permit on top of all the other fees. Be a $500 hunt now. Not to mention a non resident draw requirement to hunt all public lands including national forest and fed ground.

This is a disturbing trend that's playing out all across the country including my home state Arkansas. Directly related to the major increase in non resident hunters

Social media is the driver of the trend. I urge everyone to be a responsible consumer / user this season.

Good luck to everyone and remember loose lips sink ships

runngun

Mississippi is doing exactly what they have always done, do whatever Arkansas and Louisiana does.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Tail Feathers

I understand they have to do something to slow the OOS'ers.  But Federal land belongs to all and limiting access to that doesn't sit well.  I don't know the answers, but I'm not liking the ones we are getting right now.  The costs of some of these licenses is getting out of hand as you stated.  I'm told AR is considering backing off some of their recent price increase. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

runngun

I don't understand how they get away with limiting "Non Residents" on federal land versus "Residents". Total BULL. Last I checked I am an American citizen.
And I don't care about Colorado or what they have done. They have become a different breed.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Greg Massey

The YEAR of Covid, changed everything about turkey hunting... IMO

Delmar ODonnell

https://sgp.fas.org/crs/misc/R44267.pdf

Page 5:
"Do States Have Legal Authority to Manage Federal Lands Within Their Borders?

Although Congress has ultimate authority over federal lands under the Property Clause, states have legal authority to manage federal lands within their borders to the extent that Congress has chosen to give them such authority. The existence and extent of any such authority is determined by looking to the statutes applicable to the federal agency and management topic in question.

For example, a number of land-management statutes recognize states' traditional authority to allocate water rights and to manage fish and resident wildlife. The National Wildlife Refuge System Administration Act, for instance, states

(m) State authority. Nothing in this Act shall be construed as affecting the authority, jurisdiction, or responsibility of the several States to manage, control, or regulate fish and resident wildlife under State law or regulations in any area within the System. Regulations permitting hunting or fishing of fish and resident wildlife within the System shall be, to the extent practicable, consistent with State fish and wildlife laws, regulations, and management plans.

States' ability to license and otherwise manage hunting and fishing therefore generally extends to federal lands within their borders, barring specific preemptions. In contrast, states do not have legal authority to regulate certain aspects of grazing, wild horse management, or oil and gas development on federal lands, where federal statutes entrust that management to federal agencies. Even where Congress has left certain aspects of federal land management to the states, unless Congress has enacted an exemption, otherwise-applicable federal laws or regulations override any
contrary state laws under the Supremacy Clause of the U.S. Constitution.

Thus, in the above example, state hunting and fishing laws and regulations do not apply to the extent that they conflict with applicable federal laws, including wildlife-related laws such as ESA or MBTA, as well as federal restrictions on uses of certain areas of public lands."

CALLM2U

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 09, 2024, 12:08:58 PM
The YEAR of Covid, changed everything about turkey hunting... IMO

Yup!  I personally know several people who started turkey hunting for the first time during covid because they were out of jobs.  A couple of them I don't think could even tell you what YouTube is. 

arkrem870

And these people started traveling to hunt public land out of state and continue to do so?

hunter85

I sure would like to see Florida go to something like that!!!!!

ruination

Quote from: hunter85 on March 09, 2024, 03:16:44 PM
I sure would like to see Florida go to something like that!!!!!

It's just an arms race then.  No more out of state hunting unless you are wealthy.  Good job everyone.
.410 Favors the Bold

WCD4

$500 for 3 turkeys and a month to hunt if you don't get drawn. Sounds like a bargain to me.

Kylongspur88

I know people don't like that sort of thing but I certainly understand why a state would do that. I'd personally like to see my state increase fees and go to a draw hunt for non residents to increase revenue and limit out of state pressure. The public land here has suffered from over pressure and the limit has had to be reduced on how many birds can be taken on public land. I hunt about 50/50 public/private but it's not uncommon to be outnumbered 3-1 by out of state hunters on public land. It's a states right to set whatever fees it wants when it comes to its recourses. If it's too high people won't pay it and the state will adjust accordingly.

joey46

What needs to happen is for one of the multitude of "protected" classes to start complaining that they are being discriminated against by this common practice in several states. I've said this for years that the national lands belong to everyone equally.  Keeping a resident of any of the other 49 states from hunting national land in MS while allowing their residents to run around wilynille is horse crap. Since I'm in a slam MS mood I'll mention again that their printed hunting guide has a quarter page Non-discriminatory policy regarding their NATIONAL Forest. Good for a chuckle.

joey46

Quote from: WCD4 on March 09, 2024, 05:15:22 PM
$500 for 3 turkeys and a month to hunt if you don't get drawn. Sounds like a bargain to me.

Let's have the non-res hunt the first two weeks with the residents then lock them out for last two weeks. An even better bargain.  After all two weeks is two weeks. Fat chance.

Coldbeer

Guess you'd prefer the other approach they could've taken? Which is drop the season back to an April start date in line with everyone else. Then you would have no opportunity to hunt Mississippi in March.