OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DON'T PARK HERE!!

Started by quavers59, March 07, 2024, 07:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eggshell

I have a solution for that, go fishing

Vintage

If you drive by because there is one car in the lot in my state you may as will just go home. Because there will be more than that in the rest of the Parking lots.

GobbleNut

All this discussion makes me wonder how far everybody is willing to drive to get to a spot where this crowd problem might not be an issue?  My minimum drive time to get to the nearest turkeys is two hours...and other places I regularly hunt are four to six hours away.  Are there places in the country where a six-hour drive cannot put you in an area without the crowds?  ...Just curious...

quavers59

Scott Taulbee uploaded the picture that describes many areas of New York State- especially within 100 miles of New York City.
      The practice of Hunters Sleeping next to the Gate for 1,2,3 or more Days seems to be increasing.  Often these are out of State Turkey Hunters  who don't  want to pay for Lodging in a Hotel with the added Benifit of Controlling Thousands of Acres of Public Lands.  Usually- there is more then 1 Man in a Big SUV with enough space to Sleep 2 Men .
      Personally, I think it is not fair to Sleep next to the Gate for 1 to 3 or 4 Nights . The Public Areas,I hunt- you arrive at 3.45am and you are late. Men are parking in all the Parking areas. Usually- about 3.25am puts me First 99% of the Time. Unless there is a Truck or SUV that has no inner lights on as 2 Men are Sleeping in a parking area as close to that Gate as possible.
      Do they get to control Thousands of Acres for Themselves for up to 3 or 4 days and Bag 4 Gobblers before hitting the next State.
    Back in the 1990s,I would drive on. 2000s- same. Since around 2015 or so- the explosion  of Spring Turkey Hunting sees more and more Spring Hunters out every year.
    I have a 2004 Clunker SUV. Just how far can,I drive on. Not far.  If there is 1 or 2 Vehicles there,I am parking and walking that 1 1/2 miles in.  But as,I wrote,99% of the time,I am first to Park.

eggshell

I sympathize with anyone dealing with those crowds. It makes me realize how blessed I am to have what I have and to live where I do. There are no easy answers for overcrowding. It's the world we live in and the tension often leads to an atmosphere of contention. You can quit and find some other form of recreation. Like I said, I would just go fishing. I do have one question, does this pressure level stay on all through the season or does it fall off after the first week
I love calling in turkeys so I would consider taking a camera and calling in birds during closed hunting and have my fun that way, after all many of us claim it's not about the kill as much as the hunt. If you aren't willing to take up camera hunting then maybe it is more about the kill then we thought. Me I love calling to them all year long. I often have a call with me even when I am in the woods cutting firewood or just walking. If I encounter birds I am calling to them, I love that angle.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: eggshell on March 22, 2024, 07:46:04 PM
Buddy, I used to fish all the time as a kid to spend time with my dad, but I'll be honest with you, fishing to me is about as exciting as mowing the yard with a pair of scissors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 22, 2024, 10:35:55 PM
All this discussion makes me wonder how far everybody is willing to drive to get to a spot where this crowd problem might not be an issue?  My minimum drive time to get to the nearest turkeys is two hours...and other places I regularly hunt are four to six hours away.  Are there places in the country where a six-hour drive cannot put you in an area without the crowds?  ...Just curious...
I'm not sure but I'm going to find out this season. Any where within a hour and a half of home is way over crowded. I have some land I've been checking out about 3 1/2 hours west of me and some land about 2 hours east of me that I have been scouting. Fingers crossed they're my ticket. For the first time in 14 years, I'm not even going to fool with my childhood stomping grounds. There is no sense in it

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: quavers59 on March 23, 2024, 05:03:58 AM
Scott Taulbee uploaded the picture that describes many areas of New York State- especially within 100 miles of New York City.
      The practice of Hunters Sleeping next to the Gate for 1,2,3 or more Days seems to be increasing.  Often these are out of State Turkey Hunters  who don't  want to pay for Lodging in a Hotel with the added Benifit of Controlling Thousands of Acres of Public Lands.  Usually- there is more then 1 Man in a Big SUV with enough space to Sleep 2 Men .
      Personally, I think it is not fair to Sleep next to the Gate for 1 to 3 or 4 Nights . The Public Areas,I hunt- you arrive at 3.45am and you are late. Men are parking in all the Parking areas. Usually- about 3.25am puts me First 99% of the Time. Unless there is a Truck or SUV that has no inner lights on as 2 Men are Sleeping in a parking area as close to that Gate as possible.
      Do they get to control Thousands of Acres for Themselves for up to 3 or 4 days and Bag 4 Gobblers before hitting the next State.
    Back in the 1990s,I would drive on. 2000s- same. Since around 2015 or so- the explosion  of Spring Turkey Hunting sees more and more Spring Hunters out every year.
    I have a 2004 Clunker SUV. Just how far can,I drive on. Not far.  If there is 1 or 2 Vehicles there,I am parking and walking that 1 1/2 miles in.  But as,I wrote,99% of the time,I am first to Park.

Around here the distance doesn't seem to be a factor for these boys. I guess if they're brave enough to hike these mountains then they don't mind to walk. I've ran in to trash 4 miles deep on some of these places and there ain't but one way in and it isn't an easy one either.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: eggshell on March 23, 2024, 07:52:45 AM
I sympathize with anyone dealing with those crowds. It makes me realize how blessed I am to have what I have and to live where I do. There are no easy answers for overcrowding. It's the world we live in and the tension often leads to an atmosphere of contention. You can quit and find some other form of recreation. Like I said, I would just go fishing. I do have one question, does this pressure level stay on all through the season or does it fall off after the first week
I love calling in turkeys so I would consider taking a camera and calling in birds during closed hunting and have my fun that way, after all many of us claim it's not about the kill as much as the hunt. If you aren't willing to take up camera hunting then maybe it is more about the kill then we thought. Me I love calling to them all year long. I often have a call with me even when I am in the woods cutting firewood or just walking. If I encounter birds I am calling to them, I love that angle.
In my neck of the woods, it used to fall off after the first 2 weeks. But with most of these guys doing that super slam deal, it's like this every day of the season any more with the exception of a very large, gale force winds, thunderstorm rolling through. As far as the video thing, We're not allowed to have a turkey call in our possession from March 1st until the opening day of turkey season here. Our season runs 23 days, typically until Mother's Day or there about. By that time, it's high 80's or 90° here and I doubt they want to do much talking.

eggshell

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 23, 2024, 11:36:48 AM
Buddy, I used to fish all the time as a kid to spend time with my dad, but I'll be honest with you, fishing to me is about as exciting as mowing the yard with a pair of scissors.

I understand, but I probably fish 250 days of the year. This time of year I may fish every day for 10 days straight. I missed Tuesday of this week, but went every other day and I'm loading up the boat in about an hour. We all have different interest and that's great. If i was given a choice between losing turkey hunting or fishing I would give up turkey hunting. Part of the reason for that is the hassle it has become to simply be able to go and enjoy it. I made a career working with fish, so it's been my life's pursuit. I was fishing when I was very young, it's always been my first outdoor love, but turkeys are big too.

arkrem870

I love the fact you fish 250 days a year. Thats amazing.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: eggshell on March 23, 2024, 12:09:52 PM
Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 23, 2024, 11:36:48 AM

I understand, but I probably fish 250 days of the year. This time of year I may fish every day for 10 days straight. I missed Tuesday of this week, but went every other day and I'm loading up the boat in about an hour. We all have different interest and that's great. If i was given a choice between losing turkey hunting or fishing I would give up turkey hunting. Part of the reason for that is the hassle it has become to simply be able to go and enjoy it. I made a career working with fish, so it's been my life's pursuit. I was fishing when I was very young, it's always been my first outdoor love, but turkeys are big too.
Nothing wrong with that at all. Different strokes for different folks buddy. My dad is the same way, he loves to hunt but that rascal will fish nearly every day. I on the other hand, live to turkey hunt and would give up any other hunting or hobby before I gave up the turkeys. I just about have anyway. But you're right, it's definitely a hassle to turkey hunt anymore.

High plains drifter

I'm putting a thumbs down on these limp noggins.

eggshell

Home with a limit of walleye and no hassles with other fishermen..... ;D

High plains drifter

I'm putting a thumbs down on fishing.