OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DON'T PARK HERE!!

Started by quavers59, March 07, 2024, 07:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runngun

Just like the POLITICIANS
YOU CANNOT LEGISLATE MORALITY!!!

RECKON THE SAME GOES FOR TURKEY HUNTING.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Old Swamper

Most of todays turkey hunters have no "manners". I won't park and come in on someone else, and I expect the same respect. You can come at me yelling, screaming, and cussing all you want, and I will act like you don't even exist. But get in my face, within reach of my extended fist, acting like a fool, and it would take a bullet to the head to get me off of you.

Bottomland OG

Quote from: Old Swamper on March 22, 2024, 12:44:41 PM
Most of todays turkey hunters have no "manners". I won't park and come in on someone else, and I expect the same respect. You can come at me yelling, screaming, and cussing all you want, and I will act like you don't even exist. But get in my face, within reach of my extended fist, acting like a fool, and it would take a bullet to the head to get me off of you.
Im not one to put my 2 cents in on everything that comes up but  You just hit the nail on the head. I have been saying this same thing for years now. I've always lived by if you leave me alone I will leave you alone. Not say everyone is that way but alot of the new age hunter is very disrespectful.

Vintage

So if there is a 10 car parking lot and 3 thousand acres to hunt if some one is there first you would drive on?

Bottomland OG

I'm not gonna say what's right or wrong in a situation like that. But I can tell you I won't hunt there. The chances of someone messing up someone else is pretty high even if it's not on purpose.

Happy

Quote from: Vintage on March 22, 2024, 02:34:32 PM
So if there is a 10 car parking lot and 3 thousand acres to hunt if some one is there first you would drive on?
I personally will not go in there. We have a spot like that here. It's a fairly narrow access to a large chunk of ground. I will not risk screwing someone's hunt up even if I have intentions of going in further than they are. Most places, I can access the large chunks of ground from the other side and keep a respectable distance from everyone. I always have multiple back up plans for those situations.

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

ScottTaulbee

Personally for the way I hunt and common courtesy, yes I am. There may be 3 thousand acres there, and let's say there are 5 gobblers on that 3k acres. Of those 5, let's assume one is gobbling on a given day. If it's me and one other guy on the place and we both park and walk in from the same parking lot, chances are we are both going to hear that bird and wind up in the same spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CALLM2U

A place I hunt often is this exact scenario.  9 times out of 10, The other hunter and I can split that up and hunt safely and effectively.  I've actually met a few people that have become friends this way. 

ruination

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 22, 2024, 03:10:46 PM
Personally for the way I hunt and common courtesy, yes I am. There may be 3 thousand acres there, and let's say there are 5 gobblers on that 3k acres. Of those 5, let's assume one is gobbling on a given day. If it's me and one other guy on the place and we both park and walk in from the same parking lot, chances are we are both going to hear that bird and wind up in the same spot.

If there's only 5 gobblers on 3k acres I wouldn't hunt there regardless.  You think you're all going to hear the same turkeys 2 miles away?

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
.410 Favors the Bold

RutnNStrutn

When I've hunted public land, and for many years that's all I did, I've found that most hunters are lazy. If you hoof it in 1/2 mile from the parking area, you normally leave the vast majority of hunters behind. Then you have less pressured birds, less hunters and a more enjoyable hunt.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: ruination on March 22, 2024, 03:32:45 PM

If there's only 5 gobblers on 3k acres I wouldn't hunt there regardless.  You think you're all going to hear the same turkeys 2 miles away?

From my experience with the public around my area, If a turkey gobbles, you're not going to be the only one after it unless you're the only one at the gate. It used to not be like that, in fact,from 2009 until 2020, I would argue our public land hunting was better than any private land hunting. But from 2021 on, i pray to god I see my turkey on the roost and he doesn't make a sound until I shoot him.  This is one tract of a 8500 acre WMA I've hunted since I was a kid. This was last year, roughly 4,000 acres total and this is only the parking lot on the upper end of it. 99% OOS since 2021. Are you risking your life to fight that army for a turkey or are you driving on?. This is every WMA and national forest pull off within 100 miles of my house the last 3 seasons.

ruination

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 22, 2024, 04:06:12 PM

From my experience with the public around my area, If a turkey gobbles, you're not going to be the only one after it unless you're the only one at the gate. It used to not be like that, in fact,from 2009 until 2020, I would argue our public land hunting was better than any private land hunting. But from 2021 on, i pray to god I see my turkey on the roost and he doesn't make a sound until I shoot him.  This is one tract of a 8500 acre WMA I've hunted since I was a kid. This was last year, roughly 4,000 acres total and this is only the parking lot on the upper end of it. 99% OOS since 2021. Are you risking your life to fight that army for a turkey or are you driving on?. This is every WMA and national forest pull off within 100 miles of my house the last 3 seasons.

Lol nope.

And I stopped hunting the WMA close to my house for the exact same reason.  I actually had to do a double take cause it looks so similar.

.410 Favors the Bold

RutnNStrutn

This was last year, roughly 4,000 acres total and this is only the parking lot on the upper end of it. Are you risking your life to fight that army for a turkey or are you driving on?

I wouldn't even stop. Way too many hunters, that's a ruined hunt waiting to happen.  :TrainWreck1:

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: ruination on March 22, 2024, 04:09:38 PM

Lol nope.

And I stopped hunting the WMA close to my house for the exact same reason.  I actually had to do a double take cause it looks so similar.

It's bad around here buddy. If there isn't a truck at a spot and you pull in today, there will be tomorrow. Last year, on 3 different occasions I had OOS hunters cruise the road back and forth at a spot I was hunting until I went back to the truck, when I got there to leave they pulled in right beside me and I told them "yes sir, they are burning it up back there in that far holler, I don't know enough about turkey hunting to call one in, good luck to you boys" and sent them on a wild goose chase after nothing. 3 different groups of hunters. One from Michigan, one from Ohio and one from New York.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on March 22, 2024, 04:16:21 PM
This was last year, roughly 4,000 acres total and this is only the parking lot on the upper end of it. Are you risking your life to fight that army for a turkey or are you driving on?

I wouldn't even stop. Way too many hunters, that's a ruined hunt waiting to happen.  :TrainWreck1:
That's 98% of the public land within an hour and a half of my house since 2021. I've spent more time the last 3 seasons trying to find a place on public to stop and hunt than I have hunting