News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

DON'T PARK HERE!!

Started by quavers59, March 07, 2024, 07:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kylongspur88

Quote from: arkrem870 on March 19, 2024, 09:14:23 AM
Saturday late morning I drove around an area and checked it for vehicles. A couple access spots lead into the same big block. Everyone had left for the morning so I unloaded my bike and proceeded. I got in the area I wanted to start and fired up a hen right off. Within seconds a gobbler hammered. I saw him through the woods out in front of me. He started skirting me to the right. When he got in a bunch of brush I repositioned. I got a glimpse of him at about 40 yards. He then went back left. And was well in range just in a bunch of junk and I was catching glimpses. I had a window and took the shot at about 35 yards and stoned him. I looked up through the woods about 120 yards away....At my 10 o'clock and another hunter was walking away. I was met at my truck by the hunter that dropped off the other hunter in the area and I took a cussing over the close call.    No way I could know the other hunter was there.....if a vehicle was there I would have moved on.
IMO that's on the other guy. If I see someone coming I'll get on the crow call or owl call and let them know I'm around. A little shave and a hair cut on the crow call and they'll get it. The fact the guy met you at your truck is pretty ballsy. That's not a good idea around here

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on March 20, 2024, 09:42:17 PM
Quote from: arkrem870 on March 19, 2024, 09:14:23 AM
Saturday late morning I drove around an area and checked it for vehicles. A couple access spots lead into the same big block. Everyone had left for the morning so I unloaded my bike and proceeded. I got in the area I wanted to start and fired up a hen right off. Within seconds a gobbler hammered. I saw him through the woods out in front of me. He started skirting me to the right. When he got in a bunch of brush I repositioned. I got a glimpse of him at about 40 yards. He then went back left. And was well in range just in a bunch of junk and I was catching glimpses. I had a window and took the shot at about 35 yards and stoned him. I looked up through the woods about 120 yards away....At my 10 o'clock and another hunter was walking away. I was met at my truck by the hunter that dropped off the other hunter in the area and I took a cussing over the close call.    No way I could know the other hunter was there.....if a vehicle was there I would have moved on.
IMO that's on the other guy. If I see someone coming I'll get on the crow call or owl call and let them know I'm around. A little shave and a hair cut on the crow call and they'll get it. The fact the guy met you at your truck is pretty ballsy. That's not a good idea around here
Exactly. I can tell you that if the guy met me at my truck after being that stupid to put himself in that situation to begin with and then tried to cuss me, he'd either think I was a drill Sargent or a sailor. He'd hear words that would make Samuel L Jackson blush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spurs

Quote from: ruination on March 20, 2024, 09:01:13 PM
Quote from: Spurs on March 20, 2024, 08:45:37 PM
Quote from: ruination on March 20, 2024, 04:53:34 PM
Quote from: Spurs on March 20, 2024, 03:45:35 PM

Now I do not do the mean mugging, I will talk to everyone with respect, and if there is another option, will discuss how we may tackle an area together/separately.  But if someone gets upset because they are asked to leave a public spot after getting beat, that sounds like a YOU problem and not a ME problem.

Kinda sounds like a you problem since you're the one asking someone to leave.

Work is relative, too.
I don't see how it's my problem as my plan worked out and you should be understanding.  Therefore, your problem to figure out what plan b is...which any public land hunting should have at a minimum 4-5 backups...so not really a problem per se, but a less desirable option.  But that's semantics.

No, work is not relative.  Personal life decisions does not factor in either if that is what you are referring to.  Nor does scouting, pop up blinds, grand pappy's old spot, or any other excuse on the day of the hunt.  Hunting is hunting and life is life. 

If you are working on a night shift, get off at 4, make it to the gate at 4:30, and that's your excuse....sorry, you should be have backups on top of backups.

If you walked that same road for a week straight for the opener, cleared out every twig off the train, did your duty and picked up trash...that was yesterday and you got beat. 

There is absolutely no excuse.

But I want to stress that I have and will NEVER tell someone to get lost or mean mug them.  I've been dog cussed, even when I was the first to the gate.  I treat everyone with respect.  I've had, on many occasions, people hear me out, just to come right in with me and screw me up.  That's all part of it though. 

Embrace the suck and be thankful that I wake up just to have the same conversation the next day.  :character0029::character0029: :character0029:
Really I was just joking.

I don't think I've ever been 2nd to a gate.

But it could take someone who lived further away with two toddlers a lot more work to get to the spot as say someone who is retired and lives down the road.  So work hardly factors into it.

I think everyone would like to have the property to themselves.  But I think there's a whole bunch of states where that's just not a reality.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
You are talking about personal decisions that no one can affect but yourself.  The guy with 2 toddlers made that decision and chose to be a father.  Also, that old retired guy put in his time.  If I get beat to a gate by a person, presumably in their 60s, you dang right I'm rolling to the next gate.  I have kids myself, but if they are the reason I got beat, then I move to the next spot. 

What you are referring to is what is wrong with so much of the world today.  Everyone thinks they deserve to have a ranking system that is dependent on their own good/bad decisions.  Just because someone made a conscience decision to walk a certain path does not give them some kind of special pass.  There is sacrifice in everything and those sacrifices need to be honored.
This year is going to suck!!!

ruination

Quote from: Spurs on March 21, 2024, 07:55:09 AM

Now I do not do the mean mugging, I will talk to everyone with respect, and if there is another option, will discuss how we may tackle an area together/separately.  But if someone gets upset because they are asked to leave a public spot after getting beat, that sounds like a YOU problem and not a ME problem.

Work is relative, too.
I don't see how it's my problem as my plan worked out and you should be understanding.  Therefore, your problem to figure out what plan b is...which any public land hunting should have at a minimum 4-5 backups...so not really a problem per se, but a less desirable option.  But that's semantics.

No, work is not relative.  Personal life decisions does not factor in either if that is what you are referring to.  Nor does scouting, pop up blinds, grand pappy's old spot, or any other excuse on the day of the hunt.  Hunting is hunting and life is life. 

If you are working on a night shift, get off at 4, make it to the gate at 4:30, and that's your excuse....sorry, you should be have backups on top of backups.

If you walked that same road for a week straight for the opener, cleared out every twig off the train, did your duty and picked up trash...that was yesterday and you got beat. 

But I want to stress that I have and will NEVER tell someone to get lost or mean mug them.  I've been dog cussed, even when I was the first to the gate.  I treat everyone with respect.  I've had, on many occasions, people hear me out, just to come right in with me and screw me up.  That's all part of it though. 

Embrace the suck and be thankful that I wake up just to have the same conversation the next day.  :character0029::character0029: :character0029:

But it could take someone who lived further away with two toddlers a lot more work to get to the spot as say someone who is retired and lives down the road.  So work hardly factors into it.

I think everyone would like to have the property to themselves.  But I think there's a whole bunch of states where that's just not a reality.

You are talking about personal decisions that no one can affect but yourself.  The guy with 2 toddlers made that decision and chose to be a father.  Also, that old retired guy put in his time.  If I get beat to a gate by a person, presumably in their 60s, you dang right I'm rolling to the next gate.  I have kids myself, but if they are the reason I got beat, then I move to the next spot. 

What you are referring to is what is wrong with so much of the world today.  Everyone thinks they deserve to have a ranking system that is dependent on their own good/bad decisions.  Just because someone made a conscience decision to walk a certain path does not give them some kind of special pass.  There is sacrifice in everything and those sacrifices need to be honored.

And the point went right over your head.  You're the one that said who ever put in the most work should have priority.  Maybe what you meant to say is "who ever got their first".  Work has little to do with it.

But again, you're talking circles.  You're trying to justify something that's nothing but a personal opinion.  "Honor sacrifices".  You can sacrifice more and still show up to the gate 2nd.  That's the point.

Personally, I don't want to share a gate, so I will move on. 

And it's my problem because that's what I believe, but it's not what the guy busting the roosted bird I was set up on believes.
.410 Favors the Bold

jb1069

So, does everyone that says "if they show up first then the property is theirs for the day" or if they show up 2nd "they will just move on" apply this same practice to showing up at the boat ramp? And please don't tell me this is all about safety. Safety is just the excuse being used to want everything to yourself. Moving to a different spot is very courteous and respected but it isn't always an option for everyone. 

arkrem870

jb1069

Please explain how you see the difference. ^

Vintage

Wmas in different states are different sizes some are small and some are huge. I think that has to come into play some how.

Spurs

Quote from: jb1069 on March 21, 2024, 12:10:44 PM
Please explain how you see the difference. ^
There are some situations that were described earlier in this thread referencing this.  I have been to places where there was literally 3,000+ acres behind a gate with a 4 mile long road that ended at private.  Sure, that situation would warrant multiple people.  The places I am referencing are not that. 

I had a guy just last year pull up to me at a gate on a small ridge that is less than a half mile long.  Had a bird there the morning before and I had to jet out early to make it to work.  Dude actually gave me attitude when I ask him to let me hunt it by myself.  This was on a Wednesday half way through season and I knew for a fact there were 4-5 more gates further down the road with twice as much territory behind them.  These are the guys I am referencing when I explain my disgust for laziness and some sort of entitlement plainly because it is public.

Spurs

Quote from: ruination on March 21, 2024, 08:36:22 AM
Quote from: Spurs on March 21, 2024, 07:55:09 AM

Work is relative, too.

And the point went right over your head.  You're the one that said who ever put in the most work should have priority.  Maybe what you meant to say is "who ever got their first".  Work has little to do with it.

But again, you're talking circles.  You're trying to justify something that's nothing but a personal opinion.  "Honor sacrifices".  You can sacrifice more and still show up to the gate 2nd.  That's the point.

Personally, I don't want to share a gate, so I will move on. 

And it's my problem because that's what I believe, but it's not what the guy busting the roosted bird I was set up on believes.
No, you just have the thought in your head that because someone has a different lifestyle, they should get some kind of brownie points if they show up late.  Turkey hunting is turkey hunting and life is life.  Trying to intertwine those two activities is what you seem to be over looking.

If someone puts in the work, gets up early, gets to the gate first, they when the day.  If someone else has a late night with the kids, hits the snooze 3 times, stops by the diner for an egg sandwich, and is 2nd...move it on down the line.  First guy put in the work that day.  Nothing else matters. 

Like I said previously, semantics...but it all boils down to work kills turkeys more consistently than any other thing out there.  Wake up early, go to be late, walk further, study maps, learn behaviors, read the weather, etc.  Nothing beats hard work in the long run.

runngun

So according to what I am reading here......There's 2 kinds of people in this world.......Givers and Takers. Which one are you?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Spurs

Quote from: runngun on March 21, 2024, 01:59:17 PM
So according to what I am reading here......There's 2 kinds of people in this world.......Givers and Takers. Which one are you?

To me, that is an over signification.  There are always circumstances to weigh and conditions to mull over before making decisions.

The biggest take away is to have respect no matter who makes it to the gate first and understand that it is ultimately outside of your control.  All I can do is request that someone move on, but if they chose to hunt that area with me, I just have to do whatever I can to make my approach aggressive and be the one who walks out with a gobbler over my shoulder.

runngun

Absolutely. My statement was not intended to be a put down to anyone. Just trying to get folks to take a moment and think.

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

eggshell

I will introduce one more parameter to this discussion. Are we more concerned that someone will kill "our turkey" or at least mess it up or are we more concerned about safety? My personal opinion is that subconsciously losing the kill is what is more the concern here. I wonder if sometimes hunters don't confuse enjoying the hunt with killing as a litmus test to a good hunt. In my younger years I would be right there in the mix, because I wanted the kill more than the peace. Time has a way of teaching us to grow and be content in whatever we have. Jesus said, "blessed are the peace makers".  I tell young people all the time it is way more fun to live at peace than at war. So ask yourself before your next hunt, "am I killing or am I hunting". If your hunting then why even be concerned with that highly popular gate. Go on down the road and find a peaceful spot and enjoy your day in the woods, maybe you'll even find a gobbler. At the end of the day you go home way more relaxed. Decades ago an old sage told me I would rather have one gobbler to myself then compete with 10 hunters over 5 gobblers. I will kill the one more often then the many. Sure I hunt to call to turkeys, but not at the expense of my safety or happiness, I choose peace. Peace may mean politely making a deal at the gate or it might mean moving on down the road, but peace never has contention and anger as a partner, the two do not go together. Hunting should be what we do to get away from life's stress, why make it stressful too?