turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

DON'T PARK HERE!!

Started by quavers59, March 07, 2024, 07:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ruination

Sheltered would be thinking the rest of the world works the same as yours.  Or just the country as in this case.

Not everyone lives in a large state with little population.

.410 Favors the Bold

Hook hanger

Quote from: ruination on March 25, 2024, 07:19:54 PM
Sheltered would be thinking the rest of the world works the same as yours.  Or just the country as in this case.

I have standing invitations to hunt some of the most populated states in the Northeast on private land. I know the people that complain about 10 trucks in a parking lot on public ground must not try at all to find other spots to hunt.

ruination

Quote from: Hook hanger on March 25, 2024, 07:49:48 PM
Quote from: ruination on March 25, 2024, 07:19:54 PM

I have standing invitations to hunt some of the most populated states in the Northeast on private land. I know the people that complain about 10 trucks in a parking lot on public ground must not try at all to find other spots to hunt.
Good for you.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

.410 Favors the Bold

WV Flopper

But we complain and laugh about people trying to be ethical and gaining permission the correct way, by asking...

ruination

Quote from: WV Flopper on March 25, 2024, 08:31:37 PM
But we complain and laugh about people trying to be ethical and gaining permission the correct way, by asking...
Nah, ya see.  The appropriate way to go about it is be a standup person and have connections.  And since these people know turkey hunting is your life they know what your angle is....er I mean they just invite you to hunt their land unprompted.

Simply asking permission is crass.

.410 Favors the Bold

WV Flopper

You have named yourself properly!

ruination

Quote from: WV Flopper on March 25, 2024, 08:48:38 PM
You have named yourself properly!
Twas sarcasm.

Still, I won't deny I am named appropriately.

.410 Favors the Bold

aclawrence

Man the picture with all the trucks makes me so sad. I feel so bad for y'all guys who are stuck with that. I mean my WMA's are covered up and there's trucks everywhere but I haven't seen a parking lot that bad. I think I feel sad because I know I wouldn't go. That would just take all the fun out of it.  If that many people will park in the same spot they'll probably set up on the same bird to. I guess I really feel bad for the turkeys. Dang. I'm amazed every year that any survive where I'm at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: aclawrence on March 25, 2024, 09:45:04 PM
Man the picture with all the trucks makes me so sad. I feel so bad for y'all guys who are stuck with that. I mean my WMA's are covered up and there's trucks everywhere but I haven't seen a parking lot that bad. I think I feel sad because I know I wouldn't go. That would just take all the fun out of it.  If that many people will park in the same spot they'll probably set up on the same bird to. I guess I really feel bad for the turkeys. Dang. I'm amazed every year that any survive where I'm at.

On that particular WMA, from around 2009 until 2020 the average number of turkey taken was around 30 give or take a few. 21,22,23 it has been closer to 60 give or take a few. The pressure has tripled if not quadrupled. It's always been pretty crowded from the locals but up until 2021, it was a big even to see an out of state plate and you'd typically make an effort to talk turkey with that guy. 2021 on, 10 to 1 license plates are OOS on that WMA and every one of those guys are run n gunning, I don't know how long the turkeys can sustain that, and not to mention our DFWR put in the state magazine that it's the best WMA in the state for turkey hunting last year, because after 20 years they decided to do habitat work and want a pat on the back.

arkrem870

Loose lips sink ships. Make sure to like and subscribe

aclawrence

Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 26, 2024, 07:11:09 AM

On that particular WMA, from around 2009 until 2020 the average number of turkey taken was around 30 give or take a few. 21,22,23 it has been closer to 60 give or take a few. The pressure has tripled if not quadrupled. It's always been pretty crowded from the locals but up until 2021, it was a big even to see an out of state plate and you'd typically make an effort to talk turkey with that guy. 2021 on, 10 to 1 license plates are OOS on that WMA and every one of those guys are run n gunning, I don't know how long the turkeys can sustain that, and not to mention our DFWR put in the state magazine that it's the best WMA in the state for turkey hunting last year, because after 20 years they decided to do habitat work and want a pat on the back.

Ah you must be from Tennessee lol.  The double harvest numbers are scary. That seems like emergency level intervention is needed.

Also by the way my son has been practicing on the pot call you gave him last year. Thanks for that awesome gift.

Kylongspur88

Quote from: Hook hanger on March 25, 2024, 04:28:42 PM
I wasn't even going to make a comment about this but it amazes me the comments I read. A true turkey  hunter hunting his home state should have a few different private  farms to hunt. When I run into guys that say all I have to hunt is public ground I truly wonder why that is.
In the early 2000s I could lock in 5 or 6 places just by knocking on doors and asking politely. Those days are long gone. Most of the old timers who'd let you hunt are either dead or sold their land to people who just aren't willing to let others hunt. In addition to land changing hands and attitudes changing hunting has become a big business in my state. A lot of the prime spots are now high dollar leases. There's a certain leasing company in my area that has gobbled up thousands of acres where they sell hunts to people who are willing to pay an arm and a leg. A guy working to keep a house over his head and feed his family may not be able or willing to dish out thousands of dollars just to hunt turkeys the few weekends he has free. Basically, around my area if you or your family doesn't already have land you can hunt or your not willing to pay top dollar for a lease your stuck with public land. Just for comparison, country club and greens fees are cheaper than most leases in my area. I do think this trend will subside. People are going to get fed up with the crowds and the hassle and hang it up.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: aclawrence on March 26, 2024, 07:41:24 AM
Quote from: ScottTaulbee on March 26, 2024, 07:11:09 AM

Ah you must be from Tennessee lol.  The double harvest numbers are scary. That seems like emergency level intervention is needed.

Also by the way my son has been practicing on the pot call you gave him last year. Thanks for that awesome gift.

I'm glad he's liking it!. And I'm over in Ky.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on March 26, 2024, 07:55:18 AM
Quote from: Hook hanger on March 25, 2024, 04:28:42 PM
I wasn't even going to make a comment about this but it amazes me the comments I read. A true turkey  hunter hunting his home state should have a few different private  farms to hunt. When I run into guys that say all I have to hunt is public ground I truly wonder why that is.
In the early 2000s I could lock in 5 or 6 places just by knocking on doors and asking politely. Those days are long gone. Most of the old timers who'd let you hunt are either dead or sold their land to people who just aren't willing to let others hunt. In addition to land changing hands and attitudes changing hunting has become a big business in my state. A lot of the prime spots are now high dollar leases. There's a certain leasing company in my area that has gobbled up thousands of acres where they sell hunts to people who are willing to pay an arm and a leg. A guy working to keep a house over his head and feed his family may not be able or willing to dish out thousands of dollars just to hunt turkeys the few weekends he has free. Basically, around my area if you or your family doesn't already have land you can hunt or your not willing to pay top dollar for a lease your stuck with public land. Just for comparison, country club and greens fees are cheaper than most leases in my area. I do think this trend will subside. People are going to get fed up with the crowds and the hassle and hang it up.
You must not be far from me. It's the same here, hardly anyone will let you hunt, and I've noticed a lot of animal rights folks with land lately. And I bet I have a very good idea of what outfit you're talking about. I leased a farm once. 80 acres, leased it for turkey season only. 400$ thought I got a deal. I hunted it a handful of times, my dad hunted it a couple dozen times while I was working. We saw one hen on the whole place. I won't lease another.

Vintage

I'm in the northern part of the state and it is the same here. If you don't own land you basically don't hunt. Most landowners only allow family and good friends to hunt there land.