Main Menu

DON'T PARK HERE!!

Started by quavers59, March 07, 2024, 07:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GobbleNut

Quote from: High plains drifter on March 24, 2024, 12:09:20 AM
I'm putting a thumbs down on fishing.

:TooFunny: ;D
Ahhh, yes...the old fishin' or huntin' debate!  For me, there's an "and" between the two instead of an "or". 
Referring to my own personal history, I was a really avid fisherman, mostly in the spring...until turkey hunting came along.  Then, the "spring gobbler bug" gradually latched on and in a period of about five years, I went from dreaming about big trout and bass to dreaming about big gobblers.  Fishing became the afterthought, rather than the focus. 

I hate to admit it, but it got so bad that for a few decades, I rarely went fishing at all, even though I had a perfectly good bass boat and a smaller trout-lake boat sitting in the garage, and concentrated instead on my ever-increasing passion for spring gobbler hunting.  Only in the last few years has my interest in fishing returned. That is somewhat a function of the that bugaboo we have been discussing here...that is, the ever-increasing crowds in our turkey woods which, quite honestly, have decreased my enthusiasm for putting up with the nonsense that comes with those crowds.  Then again, "retirement", and the need to fill all the time that used to be consumed by that ugly beast we call "work" with something exponentially more enjoyable, might have had something to do with it.   :D

Recently, I have "dusted off" the tackle, drug the old trout-fishing john boat out of the forgotten heap in the back of the garage, and have again rekindled that fishing itch.  Frankly, I should never have stopped scratching it and found time for both.  I plan on doing what I can in my remaining time on the planet to rectify all those years of oversight.

Now, don't get me wrong.  I have no plans to give up spring gobbler hunting until all the joints finally freeze up for good, but in the meantime, I plan on scratching both itches quite a bit more...   ;D

eggshell

Here is my perfect day, in May:

Out before daylight and kill a big old longbeard after a duel
Get him cleaned and put to soak
Tend a little garden and maybe pick some early straw berries or produce
Go fishing and catch a limit of Saugeye (hybrid walleye)
come home to a dinner of morel Mushrooms I found while packing out my gobbler
Then watch a good movie while having strawberries and ice cream.

Yes I have actually done this on more then one occasssion

owlhoot

Quote from: eggshell on March 24, 2024, 11:40:51 AM
Here is my perfect day, in May:

Out before daylight and kill a big old longbeard after a duel
Get him cleaned and put to soak
Tend a little garden and maybe pick some early straw berries or produce
Go fishing and catch a limit of Saugeye (hybrid walleye)
come home to a dinner of morel Mushrooms I found while packing out my gobbler
Then watch a good movie while having strawberries and ice cream.

Yes I have actually done this on more then one occasssion

It doesn't get any better than that!

jakebird

I really hate hunting around other folks in turkey season. Deer season, a vehicle or two doesn't bother me in the least. But I know that with even one other vehicle, as sure as the sun shines there will be one gobbler back in there and before you know it we are both trying to put a move on him and work that bird. I just can't see a happy outcome. If I'm not first, I will keep driving. I wish others would be as courteous, though. I have been known to sleep in the truck and park "extra wide" in order to secure a spot, though.  :goofball:
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

ruination

Couple of years ago....I don't want to think about how long in actuality...Opening day of Turkey Season corresponded with opening day of Trophy rockfish (striped bass) season.

It was real easy to get away from people in the turkey woods, but you could walk across the bay on boats and planer boards.  You want to talk about stress.  Nothing like 4 boats trolling board to board and another boat trying to split you coming the opposite direction.

I think the removal of Trophy rockfish created an increase in Maryland turkey hunters, sadly.
.410 Favors the Bold

Hook hanger

I wasn't even going to make a comment about this but it amazes me the comments I read. A true turkey  hunter hunting his home state should have a few different private  farms to hunt. When I run into guys that say all I have to hunt is public ground I truly wonder why that is.

ruination

Quote from: Hook hanger on March 25, 2024, 04:28:42 PM
I wasn't even going to make a comment about this but it amazes me the comments I read. A true turkey  hunter hunting his home state should have a few different private  farms to hunt. When I run into guys that say all I have to hunt is public ground I truly wonder why that is.

Because you're sheltered.  Probably why you also care about getting blood on you.

Next question.
.410 Favors the Bold

Archivist13

Not everyone has the connections you do I guess. Gaining access to private land here in Maryland is extremely difficult. Most parcels are very small and the buildup of the area is making it even harder to find huntable areas.

Archivist13

Quote from: ruination on March 25, 2024, 02:51:51 PM

I think the removal of Trophy rockfish created an increase in Maryland turkey hunters, sadly.

100%. I'm in southern Maryland and have definitely noticed that.

jakebird

Some folks actually avoid farms and prefer to chase the birds in the mountains and hills/ big woods. Which is often public land. State forests/ game lands. I drive right past many farms on my way to the mountain to hunt. Sure, plenty of them have turkeys. Could probably get some permission if I tried.  I used to hunt some private farms some years back,but I truly love wandering in those endless mountains. Big woods hunting just FEELS different, to me.
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

CALLM2U

Quote from: jakebird on March 25, 2024, 06:02:18 PM

Some folks actually avoid farms and prefer to chase the birds in the mountains and hills/ big woods. Which is often public land. State forests/ game lands. I drive right past many farms on my way to the mountain to hunt. Sure, plenty of them have turkeys. Could probably get some permission if I tried.  I used to hunt some private farms some years back,but I truly love wandering in those endless mountains. Big woods hunting just FEELS different, to me.

I couldn't have said it better.  I just don't have any desire to hunt field birds anymore. 

Hook hanger

Quote from: CALLM2U on March 25, 2024, 06:18:12 PM
Quote from: jakebird on March 25, 2024, 06:02:18 PM

I couldn't have said it better.  I just don't have any desire to hunt field birds anymore.

One of my farms is 800ac solid timber/ hills. I also hunt public ground too. But I am a stand up person and hardly ever ask permission on spots its usually an invitation by the landowner unlike some of these new hunters that just run around with onx begging to get permission.

WV Flopper

At least they are asking! I find that pretty sad when someone complains about people asking for permission.

ruination

Lol

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

.410 Favors the Bold

Hook hanger

Quote from: ruination on March 25, 2024, 04:39:53 PM

Because you're sheltered.  Probably why you also care about getting blood on you.

Next question.

Don't know what you call sheltered? Hunted over half of this country and I am not chasing the 49 or whatever that is called. Of course I care about getting blood on me I hope all the youths and newer hunters I take have success  with me too get them hooked on our fine sport. And just to let you know I watched 42 get blood on me just last spring.