OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rangefinder ? Binocular Chest Harnesses Pack

Started by Greg Massey, March 06, 2024, 11:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

Rangefinder is built in to my scope, at least enough that it tells me under 40 yards, Bino Harness no, I have a hip pack and it has an open pocket for that, but I carry them.

MK M GOBL

Stickbow98

Leica 8x32 binocular and Leica rangefinder carried in a Marsupial Bino pack & rangefinder pouch.
Won't hunt without my Binos! The rangefinder... don't use it often, nice to have when I do want to
check ranges in more open areas. It's so small and light why NOT carry it?
"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

ElkTurkMan

I own a pair of range finding binoculars. The bino case with harness i use is Alaska Guide creations XL they hold my 10 x42 leica geovids real well. With that said i bit on the new DSD harness because I liked the idea of how it held calls as well. It came today and my Leica fit in it fine. I put some calls in it and i think It's going be great. I will hunt it hard this year and we shall see how it holds up.
I will still always use the alaskan guide harness for deer, Elk, etc.

Manager8

Brillo

RF...no
Bins.. 7x28 Maven  on simple strap.  I hunt flat and thick mainly. Rarely open.

ScottTaulbee

I don't use a range finder, the way I set up, when he steps out and I first see him, I know he's close enough to shoot. I will sometimes, very rarely, carry binoculars. They have helped me on occasion but not enough to justify carrying them with me all the time. I have tried to chest pouch deals and I just don't like the things. I have a very nice, and expensive to me one from badlands that has been collecting dust since the day I got it. When I do carry them, I use a Rick Young Outdoors ultra light harness. I use vortex, I don't remember the model but they're 12x50. Also have a pair of 10x42 from a brand called bresser. They're just as nice as the vortex and typically if I do carry any, those are what gets carried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hillbillyfab

I carry a rangefinder. I keep it in a pocket of my pants or my satchel. I actually reach for it before binos. The finder I use is a cheap one, that just keeps on working. I keep saying I'm going to upgrade but haven't.

SEAL108

Leica range finders for me. The glass is excellent and they fit in a vest pocket. I don't carry binos in the field.

mountainhunter1

Guess I am a creature of habit, have carried a rangefinder turkey hunting for right at thirty years. Been carrying the same Bushnell for all those years and it has only needed three batteries the whole time and never failed me. So old, it uses a 9 volt battery. I don't care how good I get at estimating range, on the side of a steep drop off, or a rolling mtn ridge, it is very easy to misjudge distance. Using a range finder, I have only shot one bird in 33 years over forty yards. Most are shot at around 28-32 yards.

But, starting shooting TSS just two years ago, and I wonder if I really need it now. Unlike it was all the years I used lead, even if I misjudge the range now by ten to twelve steps in steep terrain and he is at say 50 yards, - with TSS, he is still dead. But old habits are hard to break and the range finder may go back into the satchel again this year.

Main time I use a rangefinder is before the trees leaf out. Once the woods are fully green, there are not many places you can see over 40-45 yards where I hunt anyway. But it is a safety blanket as I do not want to wound or mis a turkey as that is the worst thing in the world as far as spring hunting. I never use the rangefinder during the heat of the hunt, but just always range a few trees with it as I sit down to know exactly where the 40 yard cut off is at.

As to the other part of your question - I do not carry Bino's. 
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

WildTigerTrout

I carry a vintage(1988, made by Leica) Leupold Gold Ring green armored 7x20mm binocular.  It's very compact, I carry it in my vest.  I also carry a more recent manufactured Leupold RX1400i TBR/W rangefinder.  I wear that around my neck and tucked into my left front pocket.  If forced to leave one at home it would be binocular as the rangefinder also has 5X magnification.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!