OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Rangefinder ? Binocular Chest Harnesses Pack

Started by Greg Massey, March 06, 2024, 11:46:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Is a rangefinder something you need and carry or do you find it's just another item taking up room in your vest / satchel?

What Brand do you like and why?

Do you use a chest rig / harness for your binoculars / rangefinder ?

OR just a stretchy adjustable binocular harness?

jhoward11

Binoculars on harness and yes to the range finder, on a lanyard tucked into my hunting vest. Vortex brand, it fits well in my hand, and in my vest pocket. Good eye relieve

tad1

I don't carry a rangefinder, don't hunt very much open country/fields where that might come in handy.  I also don't bowhunt turkeys.  I did once pass on a bird and later learned he was about 40 yards out, probably could have hammered him.. he just seemed super far.  I think if you hunt open areas or bowhunt ranging could be real handy.  The amount of gear can just get absurd though.
I do use a simple bino harness with a cover that keeps the eyepieces from getting debris in them.  Its a basic cheapie harness made by tenzing, but works good.  I switched from 8x40 to a smaller maybe 6x32 bino just bc its lighter and easier to haul around.  Again open country could justify some bigger optics.    Some folks are getting pretty tactical with chest rigs, seems handy but I'm still running a vest.
     JT

paboxcall

I periodically carry the rangefinder in the kangaroo pouch of the North Mountain leafy pullover.

Shooting 3-D with my bow many years, got pretty good at judging 15 - 40 yards. So I'll take the rangefinder out on a slow and quiet morning, guesstimate trees and stumps from my position using my method, and verify with the rangefinder. Helps keep that skill sharp.

When I practice like that, and confident, the rangefinder usually stays in the truck, one less thing to carry.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Tail Feathers

I usually carry a rangefinder in my vest.  At 6X it also allows me to leave the binos home.  And it weighs less than binos.   It has worked for me the last two seasons.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

bbcoach

Vortex 10X40 in a Vortex Chest Harness--Comfortable, Easy Access, a little heavy but worth it IMO

Bushnell Rangefinder in a breast pocket--range various distances when setting up, if time

bowbird87

I like to carry one nice to range objects when you sit down to have an idea of distance. I've tried lots of range finders through the year for bowhunting deer and 3D. My advice stay from the vortex ranger series. There binos are fine but the rangefinders are subpar. The distances would be off +/- 3-5 yards it struggled the range past 300-400 yards and dark objects were almost impossible. I swapped to a leupold rx1600 and it's 100% better. Zero issues in three years and leupold also has a great warranty if needed.

IhateMud

My binoculars came with a magnetic closure chest pouch. It has just enough space to fit my range finder in it. I like to carry the range finder as I am terrible at judging distance, especially when hunting an open field. I will use it to get range on a few objects when I first sit in a spot to give myself a reference. Currently I am using the Bushnell Bone collector 850 range finder. I got it as a gift and it seems to work very well. I would stay away from any cheap range finders you might find on Amazon. I bought one for $50  thinking I got a deal only for it to die about 6 months later.

Turkeybutt

Is a rangefinder something I need and carry? No. When I'm shooting birds at 35 yds or less why bother. At that point its just something more I need to carry.

What Brand do I like and why? I do carry binoculars and I like Vortex.
Why: Vortex has the best warranty and return policy and they stand by their products. You can do something stupid like run over your rangefinder or binoculars with your truck and they will replace them no questions asked!

I use a simple stretchy adjustable binocular harness when turkey hunting.

When bow hunting my rangefinder which is a vortex is attached to my harness or to my belt.

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Dtrkyman

I have hunted forever without a range finder, but hunting mountain country every year has me thinking about carrying it?

derek

I do not carry a rangefinder. 

I do carry a pair of binocs (very important to me) and prefer them on a stretchy chest strap. 

If I'm going vestless, I'll wear a Nomad bino harness/chest pack and will keep them in that with a few other important items.  Its a very small pack, doesn't get in the way too much and has enough room for what I consider the essentials. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

CALLM2U

I've never carried a rangefinder turkey hunting, but I'm considering doing it this year.   Simply for after the fact and curiosity of confirming my estimates. 

Howie g

Leopold binos / and range finder . Nomad chest harness .  Seldom hunt anything without em .

Hook hanger

I carry a rangefinder sometimes very seldom do I ever carry binos to the turkey woods.