OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Tippah and Lee Counties Mississippi

Started by Jwall, March 05, 2024, 08:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jwall

Does anyone on here hunt Tippah and Lee Counties in MS? I will be down there next week for opening day and my wife's family has land in both counties but I have never stepped foot on either property. I plan to get there and scout a day or so before opening morning but from what I've gathered, Tippah county has had more birds harvested over the years and both counties are on the decline. Any thoughts or feedback?

superblackeagle

I live in Tupelo and hunt in both counties. Lee county can sometimes be tough since it contains the population of Tupelo and the surrounding area. However, just depends on the property. I do hunt in Lee county so not trying to say it's a fruitless endeavor. I would generally say the further away from Tupelo the better. But again, just depends on the property. What are the respective acreages of each property? Feel free to PM me if you prefer.

Coldbeer

I've been fortunate enough to hunt properties in all corners of the state in some capacity or another. My experience over the last few years is that Central and Northern Mississippi turkey populations have been plummeting. Southwest Mississippi seems to be the only part of the state with a thriving and even growing turkey population.

Jwall

Quote from: Coldbeer on March 07, 2024, 12:34:09 PM
I've been fortunate enough to hunt properties in all corners of the state in some capacity or another. My experience over the last few years is that Central and Northern Mississippi turkey populations have been plummeting. Southwest Mississippi seems to be the only part of the state with a thriving and even growing turkey population.
Thanks for the info. That's what I interpreted from the county harvest numbers the last couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haypatch

Im not 100% sure on the regulations now for out of state hunters and hunting private land opening week .. they made some changes in the past couple years though that you may need to check on before you go affield! i know they apply to public grounds not sure on the private!

Jwall

Quote from: Haypatch on March 07, 2024, 01:28:03 PM
Im not 100% sure on the regulations now for out of state hunters and hunting private land opening week .. they made some changes in the past couple years though that you may need to check on before you go affield! i know they apply to public grounds not sure on the private!
I had read that non residents can hunt private land opening weekend but cannot hunt public land until after April 1 I believe.

Jwall

Well I visited both properties this morning and they are overgrown with briars and not fit to hunt. I didn't hear the dust gobble either so back to Tennessee.

joey46

Just an IMO of course but if you're willing to spend that kind of money to hunt hind teet in MS as a non-res then God luv ya.  Let them finance their folly.  That conglomeration of southern states is shooting themselves in the foot. Plenty of Eastern's available in other areas.

aclawrence

Quote from: joey46 on March 14, 2024, 06:24:44 PM
Just an IMO of course but if you're willing to spend that kind of money to hunt hind teet in MS as a non-res then God luv ya.  Let them finance their folly.  That conglomeration of southern states is shooting themselves in the foot. Plenty of Eastern's available in other areas.
It was family land. I don't think he chose that out of all the options for a place to go.

Jwall

Quote from: joey46 on March 14, 2024, 06:24:44 PM
Yeah it's my wife's family land and we drove down to visit her grandparents. Me thinking I would be able to hunt her other grandfather's land was just a positive of me coming with her. It didn't work out like I was hoping. I usually don't travel for easterns seeing I've killed plenty in my home state. The only way I was buying a non-resident license was if it had plenty of birds to occupy my time while we were here.

joey46

Relax - I understand it's private land and all the MS non-res discriminations won't apply.  Have fun and shoot a big one.  Wave to the other non-res waiting at the border of public land for their opportunity to enter the areas for their chance at one on your way out.