turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Netflix rate increase

Started by gobbler74, July 13, 2011, 09:30:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler74

Wife informed me that netflix had a huge increase in rates..splitting up the streaming and dvd rental charges and increased rates @30% I dont think so. Bye Bye, farewell...Hope yall suspend your accounts or drop it to make a statement..Its not the money at @ $8 a month increase for us but its the principle. Streaming quality is crappy anyway...folks are raising cain on facebook and on the news suspending their accounts...Even if this price increase makes quality better...not on my dime! I read where the head exec makes around 60 million a year...Our dropped account wont hurt him.  
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

a-j calls

they all bait you with low start up rates, then the rates go up a little, by little, by little..cable is the same way..i'll drop that soon.

struttin_1

I dropped ours last month and now I'm really glad I did!

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'm keeping mine.  But that's only becasue the wife loves it. 

Basser69

The increase hits Sept. 1 and it is more like 60-70% increase. Going form $9.99 to $15.98 per month. And yes, I will be dropping them. The stock guys are saying that this jump might just be enough to kill the company.

stinkpickle

The film studios are seriously jacking up their royalties for streaming content, so Netflix either had to raise their prices or go outta business.

gobbler74

Quote from: stinkpickle on July 13, 2011, 11:06:06 AM
The film studios are seriously jacking up their royalties for streaming content, so Netflix either had to raise their prices or go outta business.

The streaming quality sucks. Maybe is has to in order to work on various internet and broadband providers...Either way..they better knuckle down because this is going to hurt for awhile. As it should.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: gobbler74 on July 13, 2011, 11:36:59 AM

The streaming quality sucks. Maybe is has to in order to work on various internet and broadband providers...Either way..they better knuckle down because this is going to hurt for awhile. As it should.

I agree.

I just called the wife and told her aboput the increase.  I changed my mind.  I told her we are going to drop it.  She said ok.  That is a big jump. 

Wingbone

My wife called me raging about it yesterday. We watch streaming more than DVDs due to the full seasons of tv shows on there, but that is really all instant view is good for. They have NO movies on instant view worth a crap. Have you guys ever just browsed the instant movies? If it wasnt made between 1990-1995 or gone straight to video, then it's not on the list. Now they want you to pay double for the same worthless streaming video, not to mention doubling the "one dvd at a time" rate(which is also worthless if you want your new releases within a year of adding them to the que). Sorry, I'm mad.
In Hoc Signo Vinces

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Wingbone on July 13, 2011, 12:25:21 PM
My wife called me raging about it yesterday. We watch streaming more than DVDs due to the full seasons of tv shows on there, but that is really all instant view is good for. They have NO movies on instant view worth a crap. Have you guys ever just browsed the instant movies? If it wasnt made between 1990-1995 or gone straight to video, then it's not on the list. Now they want you to pay double for the same worthless streaming video, not to mention doubling the "one dvd at a time" rate(which is also worthless if you want your new releases within a year of adding them to the que). Sorry, I'm mad.

Yea their instant movies suck anyway.  

I just dropped them online.  I also just dropped my cable packge back to basic cable and also dropped my internet package back to the slowest package.  I don't need all that crap anyway.  I just saved another $45 a month.  

Solid Snake

I'm dropping them as well. It was a deal when you could get streaming and DVD rental for $8 a month. Then they raised it a couple dollars and I stayed but this rate hike I'm getting out. Hell, the DVD will sit on the table for 3 weeks before I get to it anyway!

Everyone I know, here at work and on FB that I have talked to is dropping them. I think it's really gonna hurt em.

hookedspur

Dump-em, but the way I hear it in a few years everything will be streaming media ,even DVDs will be obsolete.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

Turkey Trot

Quote from: gobbler74 on July 13, 2011, 11:36:59 AM

What kind of line in do you have?  I believe it to be a matter of GIGO.

I can stream it at work where we have a T-1 (fiber optic) and it is superior to anything else, but I still get pretty good from DSL.

I have not seen the price increase notice yet but will have to look at it.  Netflix, amazon Premium, Hulu, network websites, and a couple of others provide a lot of media at prices better than cable.
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

Basser69

Here is a copy and paste of the email:

We are separating unlimited DVDs by mail and unlimited streaming into two separate plans to better reflect the costs of each. Now our members have a choice: a streaming only plan, a DVD only plan, or both.

Your current $9.99 a month membership for unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs will be split into 2 distinct plans:

Plan 1: Unlimited Streaming (no DVDs) for $7.99 a month
   Plan 2: Unlimited DVDs, 1 out at-a-time (no streaming) for $7.99 a month

Your price for getting both of these plans will be $15.98 a month ($7.99 + $7.99). You don't need to do anything to continue your memberships for both unlimited streaming and unlimited DVDs.

These prices will start for charges on or after September 1, 2011.

You can easily change or cancel your unlimited streaming plan, unlimited DVD plan, or both, by going to the Plan Change page in Your Account.

We realize you have many choices for home entertainment, and we thank you for your business. As always, if you have questions, please feel free to call us at

savduck

You, this is a perfect example of the argument I was making about the high cost of gas and how we are getting raked over the coals. Somebody said I was trying to tell someone how much profit they could make. I wasnt, my point was that they were robbing us blind because we all had to have it.

In this situation, this is a luxury item people can do without, prices arent going up because of inflation, prices are going up because somebody wants to make double the money, and they think we are dumb enough to believe the excuses they sling out about prices increases. People stand up and say HECK NO, and market prices get lowered again, and things stay in check. This works because its a product that people can do without and you can take direct action against the greed by not spending money on their services.

With Gas, we all depend on it. We cant all just up and say Heck No, the gas companies know it, and thats why gas is 4.00 a galloon. No other reason.

I dont have net flex, but thank all of you guys for dropping it and sticking it to them. Your actions are what is a step  to set America right and making things better for my family. Keeping the money mongers in check baby.
Georgia Boy