OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Snake boots, gaiters or chaps

Started by BuffetSlayer, March 03, 2024, 02:25:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuffetSlayer

My old snake boots just fell apart, so it's that time to get some new ones. Do you guys prefer snake boots, gaiters or chaps? Last year someone was telling me that the boots are a waste of time and that he only wears gaiters.

Howie g

I suggest high end lace up ankle boots , with knee high snake chaps .
And spray them with water proofing spray .    And I'm considered elite ... so you probably should take my advice .   Haha

Greg Massey

I wear what's easiest for myself and takes less time putting on and that's snake boots.  Not saying anything is wrong with the other choices.

I just feel with the snake boots, i have less problems and less stuff to carry.. traveling etc..  IMO

Notsoyoungturk

I bought some of the Guardz gaiters.  High quality product.  They were a lot less comfortable than and did not fit as well as my snake boots.  They also made more noise when I was walking.  I have never used chaps so I can't comment on them.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

roberthyman14

Lacrosse snake boots.   Being in Florida. It's usually wet and snakes.  Or dry and snakes.  Scouting today we started on high dry ground and had plenty of sign to take note of.  But then on a whim we ended up in a snakey creek bottom looking for a setup.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

ElkTurkMan

Doing the majority of my hunting in Georgia I have tried all different kinds of snake boots. Some i liked better than others, but  I never really found them comfortable for all day hunts or long hikes. Last year I switched to turtle skin snake gaiters and for me they are a game changer.  No going back to snake boots after wearing these for the majority of a year. I wear them over My Lacrosse grange rubber boots.  They're very light light weight but yet extremely tough. Plus wearing them over my rubber boots I can still go through water and remain scent free during warm weather deer hunts. I highly recommend

cwhitfield96

I wear lace ups but they are only maybe 10" thinking about gaiters mainly for walking through wet tall grass in the morning.

NCL

I have used all three the chaps, I bought first many years ago and found they were hot. Next I bought and used snake boots, I have large calves and found it impossible to fully zip so the zipper would slid open. Lastly, I use the gaiters based on what I had read on OG and found they were best for my use. So me me the vote goes to gaiters

aclawrence

I wear Zamberlans and Turtle skins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SEAL108

I use Turtleskin gaiters. The only thing I don't like about them is they don't breathe and my leg from the knee down is soaked in sweat. I have the regular size but should have bought the husky. I'm 6'2", 225 lbs and 10.5 boot.  Mine are tight on me.  Plus side: light weight, easy on and off, fairly quiet. 

capecodmike

I've got a pair of Russell Moccasin high lace ups that I bought off Ebay some years ago.  Very comfortable. 

When it's wet I wear my Lacrosse rubber snakes.  Slightly less comfortable.

In both cases I like boots as I tuck my pants into the boots to help avoid that nasty lone star tick.

Couple of years back I was walking along a grassy path and got within 10' of a five foot rattler. 

Boots are mandatory in my kit.

PaLmbHngr

I have tried both the snake boot (Lacrosse and Danner) and found them to be hot and heavy especially if you get them wet. I have moved on to Crack Shot gaiters in Mossy Oak bottomland with hiking boots and found these to me much better. They are light, very easy on and off and don't hold water if you have to cross water over your knees.

BuffetSlayer

Thanks guys for all the great suggestions. I will deffinetly look into them.

RutnNStrutn

I prefer boots. Chaps and gaiters are too noisy, IMO.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

10th Legionaire

I have never worn any of them before. But, I have been hearing of more snake sightings around me. I've always known we have copperheads but a few years ago our DNR released timber rattlesnakes "to balance the ecosystem". I'm also planning a trip to SW Oklahoma.

As a result I bought a pair of Chippewa pull on boots. I have been out hiking/scouting in them and my initial thoughts are that I like them much more than I thought I would.
Less is more