Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Would you shoot if you didn't call him in?

Started by mcw3734, March 03, 2024, 10:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bottomland OG

Quote from: Tom007 on April 10, 2024, 10:28:01 AM
I have to honestly say that a few years back, I heard a gobble about 150 yards away from me. I quick ran up about 30 yards, cleared the leaves under a tree (as I was doing that, he triple gobbled) and sat down. I put my gun up on my knee, a minute later here he comes fast. He stopped 35 yards away, looked around, Boom! Big Old Gobbler, heard the leaf clearing and came in quick.  Never touched a call. Yes, I was proud as I walked out toting him over my shoulder. Sometimes the best call tactic is "stay quiet".
And you should have been proud of him walking out....shooting a bird that you didn't call too doesn't make anyone less of a hunter. Patience has killed way more turkeys than calls have. At least in the south that is.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: joey46 on April 10, 2024, 01:48:18 PM
Still the funniest and most "elitist" thread ever on Old Gobbler.  That's really saying something.  Some season's endings some just starting.  Good luck to all that hunt legally and don't give a rat's rear end if other's approve of the way you hunt.
That's what I'm saying. I've spent weeks in the field not seeing anything im sure not passing up a gifted bird. I love chasing these birds, I respect them.... But I love being able to fill a tag early and spend the day with my family as well. When I go out it's typically from 0500-1600. I've never gone home before 0930. I've called all of mine in but I'm not passing up on one if we just happen to cross paths. They are far and few between in the south east to do that.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

Tom007

Quote from: Bottomland OG on April 10, 2024, 05:30:37 PM
I have to honestly say that a few years back, I heard a gobble about 150 yards away from me. I quick ran up about 30 yards, cleared the leaves under a tree (as I was doing that, he triple gobbled) and sat down. I put my gun up on my knee, a minute later here he comes fast. He stopped 35 yards away, looked around, Boom! Big Old Gobbler, heard the leaf clearing and came in quick.  Never touched a call. Yes, I was proud as I walked out toting him over my shoulder. Sometimes the best call tactic is "stay quiet".
And you should have been proud of him walking out....shooting a bird that you didn't call too doesn't make anyone less of a hunter. Patience has killed way more turkeys than calls have. At least in the south that is.

Thank you.......
"Solo hunter"

GobbleNut

Quote from: Spurs on March 28, 2024, 03:23:44 PM
As far as the guys who call in a turkey and just let it walk away, you must be from somewhere different or have some amazing property. 

That pretty much sums it up.  Over the years, I have hunted places where I have passed up shooting gobblers I called in just because I was confident there would be more opportunities down the road, and the circumstances of those hunts (one-bird limit, limited hunting pressure, several more hunting days, and the gobbler not quite being what I was looking for) let me choose to pass.  Doing that had nothing to do with some mythical noble attitude I could claim I possess.

It's all about where each of us hunts.  Quite honestly, that option to choose not to shoot a gobbler used to be the case here even on public land...but things have changed.  A mature gobbler that comes to my calling nowadays on our public stuff is going to get shot if he gives me the chance.  However, before this season is over, I will also be hunting a place or two where, if I choose to be picky, I could let a gobbler pass with a good deal of confidence there are going to be others.

appalachianassassin

I consider leaf scratching as bone fide calling

appalachianassassin

Man, there are some strange debates on here, but I'll bite.

You are dang right I will shoot one if he falls in my lap, because I work hard for them every time my boots hit the ground and have walked away empty handed on 15 mile days.  Those are the ones that I call "Make Up Toms".  Now, it isn't nearly as exciting, but I feel like if I am in the woods, I am hunting.  My goal for the day is to walk out with a Tom over my shoulder.

As far as the guys who call in a turkey and just let it walk away, you must be from somewhere different or have some amazing property.  So far this year, I have yet to hear a turkey on areas I can hunt openly without a permit or something of that nature and our season opens in a couple of weeks.  Now, I have some last minute places that are almost a guarantee to hold birds, but use that plural "BIRDS" loosely.  I would say that I may have 2-3 spots on the opener where there was a bird...but I will have company on those spots.

If I am out there, I am hunting.
I let mature toms walk every year and some of them on public dirt. By mid season Im typically tag less in every state within a couple hours drive and late season everyone else has lost interest in going. But, I still want to go so I sure do. I just dont take a gun.

Tom007

Quote from: appalachianassassin on April 11, 2024, 10:01:53 AM

I agree when your sitting and calling. I didn't think at the time that clearing debris under an Oak with my feet would bring the old guy in running. I do use my wing and scratch a lot when I sit and call. This was just unintentional and it caught his ear.........
"Solo hunter"

Bottomland OG

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 11, 2024, 09:39:14 AM
As far as the guys who call in a turkey and just let it walk away, you must be from somewhere different or have some amazing property. 

That pretty much sums it up.  Over the years, I have hunted places where I have passed up shooting gobblers I called in just because I was confident there would be more opportunities down the road, and the circumstances of those hunts (one-bird limit, limited hunting pressure, several more hunting days, and the gobbler not quite being what I was looking for) let me choose to pass.  Doing that had nothing to do with some mythical noble attitude I could claim I possess.

It's all about where each of us hunts.  Quite honestly, that option to choose not to shoot a gobbler used to be the case here even on public land...but things have changed.  A mature gobbler that comes to my calling nowadays on our public stuff is going to get shot if he gives me the chance.  However, before this season is over, I will also be hunting a place or two where, if I choose to be picky, I could let a gobbler pass with a good deal of confidence there are going to be others.
Well said........With me it just depends on each situation. This sounds far fetched but it is the honest truth.  I was in Texas on a 4 day hunt back in the 90's, there was so many birds out there back then it was crazy. Me and another fellow was hunting together the second morning and called up 22 longbeards by 10:30 that morning. 1 group had 5 in it and the rest were 2's and 3's. We didn't want our hunt to be over so we would ride around striking one up go call them up and go do it again. It was a blast. Not sure if a place like that even exists anymore. I go both ways on this topic. Good day.

Tom007

Quote from: Bottomland OG on April 11, 2024, 01:17:18 PM

Well said........With me it just depends on each situation. This sounds far fetched but it is the honest truth.  I was in Texas on a 4 day hunt back in the 90's, there was so many birds out there back then it was crazy. Me and another fellow was hunting together the second morning and called up 22 longbeards by 10:30 that morning. 1 group had 5 in it and the rest were 2's and 3's. We didn't want our hunt to be over so we would ride around striking one up go call them up and go do it again. It was a blast. Not sure if a place like that even exists anymore. I go both ways on this topic. Good day.

I hunted with my brother on the King Ranch in Texas years ago.  It was too easy. So many Gobblers, you didn't know where to start. We were done by 7:15 am first day. Kind of hard to believe this when you see what's going on now. This was in the late 90's..........
"Solo hunter"

Bottomland OG

Quote from: Tom007 on April 11, 2024, 02:47:07 PM
Quote from: Bottomland OG on April 11, 2024, 01:17:18 PM

I hunted with my brother on the King Ranch in Texas years ago.  It was too easy. So many Gobblers, you didn't know where to start. We were done by 7:15 am first day. Kind of hard to believe this when you see what's going on now. This was in the late 90's..........
Yes sir it was,  it was very easy. We could kill 3 each on that particular ranch we were at, but we could have been done the first morning also. I always said anyone that turkey hunted needed to witness that at least once in their life. Which there was several states that had big numbers back in the late 90's and even into the early 2000's. I don't know myself but they blamed the decline out there on that ranch in Texas on fire ants.

Zobo

Quote from: joey46 on April 10, 2024, 01:48:18 PM
Still the funniest and most "elitist" thread ever on Old Gobbler.  That's really saying something.  Some season's endings some just starting.  Good luck to all that hunt legally and don't give a rat's rear end if other's approve of the way you hunt.

Sorry, we don't all agree with you. It's an idea sharing forum. Not everyone thinks the way you do.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Zobo

Quote from: High plains drifter on March 28, 2024, 02:31:33 PM
I have ambushed a few gobblers,but it isn't ethical.

Two thumbs down for the ambush, two thumbs up for
the honesty :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

joey46

I will give the forum "elite" credit.  It must be tough hunting with that halo over your heads? Do the big birds spot it often?  How do they react to the glow?  Are they totally mesmerized at the sight?  If so is a halo considered "fair chase"?  Inquiring minds want to know. :TrainWreck1: :TooFunny: :angel2:

RiverBuck

Clearly, some of you turkey hippies need to trade in your shotguns for a nice camera.

runngun

Quote from: Tom007 on April 11, 2024, 10:20:26 AM
Quote from: appalachianassassin on April 11, 2024, 10:01:53 AM

I agree when your sitting and calling. I didn't think at the time that clearing debris under an Oak with my feet would bring the old guy in running. I do use my wing and scratch a lot when I sit and call. This was just unintentional and it caught his ear.........
Tuesday Morning I walked into a creek bottom about 150 yards from a road. It was really dry and noisy walking in, I got set up and didn't have my mask or gloves on yet. Had not called yet, about 6 or 7 minutes later a hen flew from her roost tree and almost landed on my BOOTS! Of course she saw me 10 seconds later and flew off. I didn't even know that she was around. She had to have heard me walking in.
Y'all have a good one and May God bless y'all.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.