Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Would you shoot if you didn't call him in?

Started by mcw3734, March 03, 2024, 10:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prospector

Quote from: dublelung on March 26, 2024, 07:53:33 AM
Yes I would and yes I have and it's still more sporting than those of you who set over your "flock" of dekes!
lol! Easy now. You gonna be disliked like me.... lot of truth rt there!
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

Uncle Tom

I worked a bird near the end of the season last year, and he was way across a field with some hens. I could tell he was a big, heavy bird. Was with some hens that morning and finally they left him about 11 o'clock. I had been sitting back in the edge of the woods since light, calling to him all morning....soft clucks and purrs. Well, when the hens left him he went under a fence and starting coming to that hen he had been hearing all morning. As he got closer, he would stop and gobble every few minutes....this went on for a long time as he made his way across this field toward me...like 30-45 minutes. At least 150 yards he came. Slow but sure....stopping every so often sticking he head up looking for me....one of the hunts you will never forget. Had ranged a big pine tree on the wood line at 52 yards, and knew if he got that close I could kill him with a load of TSS #9 in my 20 ga. Well, he was almost there but all of a sudden started walking in a circle, and I knew he won't coming any closer. Big head, full fan, deep gobble, and one of the biggest birds I had seen in a long. Did I shoot him? Well, after close to 6 hours of playing this game and heart pumping...I let a load fly. Dropped him right there. Don't like to shoot one that far, but did I call him in...I think I did and to me was one of the most exciting hunts I have ever had. That is what matters when all is said and done.....how it makes you feel in the end....close to 21 lbs and 1 1/2 hooks.

jimmyg97

If I roost birds the night before and they head my way in the morning, yes I'm shooting. I still hunted the bird, didn't have to call him in.

If I've thrown out some soft calling here and there and a tom walks in an hour later, yes I'm shooting. I very well could have called him in.

If I hit up a new spot mid day and flush one walking in, no. There's not much sport in that.

High plains drifter

I have ambushed a few gobblers,but it isn't ethical.

Spurs

Man, there are some strange debates on here, but I'll bite.

You are dang right I will shoot one if he falls in my lap, because I work hard for them every time my boots hit the ground and have walked away empty handed on 15 mile days.  Those are the ones that I call "Make Up Toms".  Now, it isn't nearly as exciting, but I feel like if I am in the woods, I am hunting.  My goal for the day is to walk out with a Tom over my shoulder.

As far as the guys who call in a turkey and just let it walk away, you must be from somewhere different or have some amazing property.  So far this year, I have yet to hear a turkey on areas I can hunt openly without a permit or something of that nature and our season opens in a couple of weeks.  Now, I have some last minute places that are almost a guarantee to hold birds, but use that plural "BIRDS" loosely.  I would say that I may have 2-3 spots on the opener where there was a bird...but I will have company on those spots.

If I am out there, I am hunting.
This year is going to suck!!!

Joneshunter

If my buddy called him in and he didn't have a shot no. Anywhere that im hunting with anybody im not shooting unless there's two birds. I feel like some of my buddies might and I'd be fighting mad so I know I would never do that to them.

Spurs

Quote from: Joneshunter on March 28, 2024, 04:33:16 PM
If my buddy called him in and he didn't have a shot no. Anywhere that im hunting with anybody im not shooting unless there's two birds. I feel like some of my buddies might and I'd be fighting mad so I know I would never do that to them.
If I am allowed to carry a gun, we will have that conversation prior to going out.  I have a pretty small hunting friend group, so I pretty much know if I am allowed (if on their camp or something) or if I am allowed, they will let me know if they cannot make the shot. 

It would kinda be situational to me, but for the most part, the guys I hunt with are happy either way.  I just about enjoy watching someone else shooting a bird more than myself pulling the trigger.  But I get kinda upset watching one walk away, as opportunities in my area are pretty scarce.
This year is going to suck!!!

Marc

Quote from: Spurs on March 28, 2024, 03:23:44 PM
As far as the guys who call in a turkey and just let it walk away, you must be from somewhere different or have some amazing property. 

Some truth to that statement...

To some degree our preferences are dictated by our access and availability of birds...

But, the thread did not ask if you should shoot a bird you did not call in, it asked if you would.  I really enjoy calling them in, or tricking them...  I will shoot a bird over a hen I called in...  In other words, I called in a hen, and a tom followed...  Still exciting stuff for me...

I have let birds walk as well...  One season, I had a tom in particular I wanted...  Filled my other tags with one left, and ended the season with an unfilled tag...  Had fun and frustration hunting him, and he outsmarted me.  Probably more birds that season than I have seen since...

Last season I saw and heard fewer birds than normal, and took every long-beard that came into range when he came into range.  In some ways, I took more pleasure on filling those tags under more difficult circumstances.

Yes...  Often how particular we are and our preferences are to some degree dictated by the options and opportunity afforded us.  If you are turkey hunting in Alaska, I imagine you will be a lot less particular than you would on a good ranch in Texas...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Uncle Tom

You have arrived as a turkey hunter when you have 2 big Toms heading your way....have both of them in your sights....you take the smaller bird and hunt the bigger one another day.

Prospector

So when you hunt with a partner and he calls but you don't, will you still shoot the gobbler? For those that hunt with decoys: you place them and go sit. You have to get arranged, snip a briar, condition a slate etc and a gobbler appears running to the "flock" without you making a call- does he get shot?
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

WildTigerTrout

The only time I killed a gobbler I did not call in was years ago when a friend and I were tag teaming them and it was my turn to sit and shoot.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Tom007

I have to honestly say that a few years back, I heard a gobble about 150 yards away from me. I quick ran up about 30 yards, cleared the leaves under a tree (as I was doing that, he triple gobbled) and sat down. I put my gun up on my knee, a minute later here he comes fast. He stopped 35 yards away, looked around, Boom! Big Old Gobbler, heard the leaf clearing and came in quick.  Never touched a call. Yes, I was proud as I walked out toting him over my shoulder. Sometimes the best call tactic is "stay quiet".
"Solo hunter"

Yoder409

Quote from: Spurs on March 28, 2024, 03:23:44 PM

As far as the guys who call in a turkey and just let it walk away, you must be from somewhere different or have some amazing property. 

Getting WAY off the OP, but.............

I've done it MANY times.  As recently as the first morning of season last spring.  Had been watching two birds that roosted together.  Both 10-ish inch beards, but one WAY thicker than the other.  Heard two heavy birds fly down.  First bird comes to my calling.  Thin bearded one.  I know the other one has to be close behind so I let thin beard walk.  Thick beard never showed.  Still filled both tags by the end of the week.

I pass ALL mature toms called in during the fall season........except for a case of mistaken identity a few years back.  Still upsets me.

There are a bunch of other stories.  But, you are likely right.  I may be "from "somewhere different" in the journey of my progression as a turkey hunter.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

dzsmith

No questions asked . Boom. Hate to be that way , but encounters are fewer and far between as time goes on. If I'm in the woods , and a swinging beard walks into shotgun range . He's had it.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

joey46

Still the funniest and most "elitist" thread ever on Old Gobbler.  That's really saying something.  Some season's endings some just starting.  Good luck to all that hunt legally and don't give a rat's rear end if other's approve of the way you hunt.