OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Would you shoot if you didn't call him in?

Started by mcw3734, March 03, 2024, 10:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runngun

Okay I have a question? I have heard "ducks" brought up in this conversation a few times. If you are set-up and calling ducks into your spead, and 4 or 5 ducks "sneak in" and land in your decoys, are you going to shoot them or not? You didn't see them until they were already on the water. What about one or 2 that swim into the decoys?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Zobo on March 09, 2024, 10:11:25 PM
Look you are definitely entitled to your opinion in this matter, but I disagree.
Turkey hunting is all about calling the bird to the hunter. That's it, period.
It's exactly the same issue as shooting (sluicing) sitting duck or geese. Or pot shooting a grouse or pheasant that's not on the wing.
There is an important fair chase issue and a safety issue at hand. The latter has tragic irreversible consequences.
This not elitism, it's common sense.

Likewise, you are entitled to your opinion. However, when the DNR for the state in question says it is legal, and therefore in the DNR's eyes obviously also ethical, but YOU say differently, then it most certainly IS elitism.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

arkrem870

I wouldn't let whether it's illegal or legal set your moral compass.   Drugs, prostitution, martial affairs, gambling, abortion etc etc etc all legal by law in some places.

The Lung

Sneaking up on a weary longbeard and pot shooting upland birds is not, in my opinion, comparable.

Calling a tom in is far more fun, the back and forth that takes place can be quite the adrenaline rush. To imply that using careful woodsmanship and sneak tactics is somehow unethical is not a fair assessment.
"Dear Lord, may our will be pure and our aim be true. Amen"

g8rvet

Quote from: runngun on March 09, 2024, 10:37:44 PM
Okay I have a question? I have heard "ducks" brought up in this conversation a few times. If you are set-up and calling ducks into your spead, and 4 or 5 ducks "sneak in" and land in your decoys, are you going to shoot them or not? You didn't see them until they were already on the water. What about one or 2 that swim into the decoys?

They land, they safe.  They swim they safe.  I will jump shoot them though, just not a ground swat or water whack.  But I do not judge anyone that wants to  Like Rut said, early in my life I have, but not lately.   He also watched me kill a duck with a muzzleloader shotgun, so I definitely like the challenge. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: g8rvet on March 10, 2024, 06:03:08 PM

But I do not judge anyone that wants to  Like Rut said, early in my life I have, but not lately.   He also watched me kill a duck with a muzzleloader shotgun, so I definitely like the challenge.

I remember it to this day. That was a great hunt!!

Prospector

If the Good Lord(or fate, karma etc) puts you in the path of an advancing long beard then, yes, I most certainly will. If conditions are favorable, I have been known to actively do so myself- I consider it a viable tactic. As I have said,"Do not mess up a good thing with calling.". If it makes you feel better, call to make him raise his head- there, you called him????
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

joey46

Quote from: Prospector on March 11, 2024, 06:15:11 AM
If the Good Lord(or fate, karma etc) puts you in the path of an advancing long beard then, yes, I most certainly will. If conditions are favorable, I have been known to actively do so myself- I consider it a viable tactic. As I have said,"Do not mess up a good thing with calling.". If it makes you feel better, call to make him raise his head- there, you called him????

11 pages and now the perfect reply.  Thanks Prospector! Just because I can't seem to help myself IMO some of the PA stuff that has been posted is truly goofy.  I do have wife's cousins in the Poconos and as I've mentioned we may visit there in mid May.  Their area is surrounded by state game lands.  I hope to maybe give it a try.  I was glad they dropped the orange hat shuffle but may need guidance on what the meaning of "conspiring" is in what has been printed in this thread.  If I ask my wife's cousins where they have seen birds are we both destined for prison if they didn't possess a call at the time?  Will a pre-dawn response from an owl hooter count?  A post dawn crow call?

squidd

Quote from: runngun on March 09, 2024, 10:37:44 PM

Instead of bang bang dinner, I'd add a third, bang bang bang dinner (3 shells).

Wood ducks are notorious for landing short/long and swimming to decoys.

I hope no one says we shouldn't use decoys for ducks and only rely on calling????

Brianb3006

Well stated, good advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Prospector

Quote from: joey46 on March 11, 2024, 06:39:28 AM

11 pages and now the perfect reply.  Thanks Prospector! Just because I can't seem to help myself IMO some of the PA stuff that has been posted is truly goofy.  I do have wife's cousins in the Poconos and as I've mentioned we may visit there in mid May.  Their area is surrounded by state game lands.  I hope to maybe give it a try.  I was glad they dropped the orange hat shuffle but may need guidance on what the meaning of "conspiring" is in what has been printed in this thread.  If I ask my wife's cousins where they have seen birds are we both destined for prison if they didn't possess a call at the time?  Will a pre-dawn response from an owl hooter count?  A post dawn crow call?
The # 1 tactic for a successful turkey hunt is to be where turkeys are. The #2 tactic is to hunt said turkeys where they want to be. So if you know a particular gobbler is going to fly down and head to a particular place, do you mean to tell me that you won't try to beat him there/get in front of him? That you will sit and call from where he ain't trying to convince him to come there? When you know where he's going? Guys, we are splitting hairs here.  When you finally do get tired of calling from where you are, then you reposition to where he wants to be or the path to there, and he be-bops along right into your gun- was it your calling or was it your strategy that made you successful? Uh- huh, that's what I thought.....
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

RutnNStrutn

Sanders153

My 2nd turkey was a Jake in 2005. I was on a family friend's ranch around Tishomingo Oklahoma, and had roosted what I thought was at least a two year old Tom the night before in a patch of trees at the edge of a small clearing, and snuck in early the next morning to set up.

I stuck an old foam Feather Flex hen and half strut Budda Jake decoy pair at the edge of that clearing and waited for them to fly down, as I was pretty sure they would land right in the clearing. It turned out that what was roosted was two Jakes and a lone hen, and sure enough the came right down where I had thought, but to the right of me a little ways at the edge of the wood line. The hen pecked up around the decoys, but the two Jakes just stood in one spot and half strutted to the right of me for about 15 min.

Eventually, the hen went left out of the clearing, and the two jakes went to the right, walking on an old sand road that led to the clearing. Now behind me was an additional road that looped into this clearing, and connected to the one the jakes were traveling. When everyone was gone, I gathered the decoys and very quickly took off on a light jog on the road, with the plan to get in front of those Jakes, and head them off where the two roads connected.

Luckily these roads were really sandy, and I was able to move very silently and quickly to the intersection where the jakes were going. Once I got there, I set up on a big red oak tree that was right where those two roads met. I gave three soft yelps and those Jakes answered right back and were close. Very close. Like, we'll be there in a minute or less close. Moments later they came right down the road they were on, and walked straight into my shotgun barrel. That was the hunt were I learned what hevi-shot was capable of, even though that was the only year I had tried it. It just about decimated one of those jakes heads at 25 yards.

That hunt and that Jake I was quite proud of, as I had learned to use woodsmanship and strategic planning to put myself were those birds wanted to go and I was a young teenager at the time. Did I call those Jakes in, I think they were coming regardless.. But it really felt good when I pulled the trigger on that bird.

High plains drifter

jakebird

Common scenario. A hunter is hunting pressured (quiet) birds, and so they're calling very softly and very rarely. As little as once an hour. A gobbler sneaks in, feeding along as he goes. Nearly an hour since you last called. Maybe you had even dozed off. Did you call him in or not? Are you going to ask him to be sure before you pull the trigger? ????
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?