OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Would you shoot if you didn't call him in?

Started by mcw3734, March 03, 2024, 10:37:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Number17

Quote from: Kyle_Ott on March 04, 2024, 07:59:59 PM

I do not consider sticking a fan in front of one's face and reaping a turkey skillful in any way and I find that irreprehensible. 

A few years ago (before they provided wording to specifically outlaw using a fan to hide behind in Pa) I made a jig to attach a fan to the stabilizers on my bow. I caught a hen and a gobbler crest the rise in a tall grass green field one morning and made a move to get myself into position to coax them. I got to where I wanted to be, attached the fan and placed the bow in front of me while using my binos to see if I could locate the birds. The hen was off to the left and about 100 yards out. Just then I heard a "whooomphhhhh" to my right and here comes a gobbler strutting and crab walking right at me. Shot him at about 10 steps.
Skillful? no not really compared to some of my other hunts. But it was as exciting as any bird I've ever called up and killed.
I did not REAP that bird by crawling at him. I showed him a decoy no different than if you staked one out in the field away from your position.

Whether you find that reprehensible or irreprehensible is up to you.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Yoder409

Quote from: Number17 on March 06, 2024, 08:37:46 AM

Yoder, I bought one of your holsters years ago and gifted it to a friend of mine. Built like a tank. He loves it.

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

So glad you/he are happy with it.  That seems to be the universal consensus.   Yep !!

THANK YOU for your support !!!!   
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

surehuntsalot

,that is the difference between turkey hunters and turkey shooters.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Moore

I would because it's hunting no matter how you close the distance.
[

joey46

Quote from: surehuntsalot on March 06, 2024, 06:32:45 PM
,that is the difference between turkey hunters and turkey shooters.
[/quotue]

My goal before reaching my 80s and 55 plus years of chasing these big birds is to be considered a forum ELITE.   LOL.

I'm sure I'm a lost cause.

Zobo

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 06, 2024, 09:37:02 AM

Yoder, I bought one of your holsters years ago and gifted it to a friend of mine. Built like a tank. He loves it.

So glad you/he are happy with it.  That seems to be the universal consensus.   Yep !!

Yeah, he was so happy with it, he gave it away :TooFunny:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Yoder409

Quote from: Zobo on March 06, 2024, 08:25:28 PM

YOU.........should be so fortunate to have such generous, selfless, giving friends.   :you_rock:

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Dougas

Quote from: Kyle_Ott on March 04, 2024, 07:59:59 PM

(If I took another minute or two to think of and illustrate other scenarios I find offensive, I could but I think you get the gist of where I'm going with my interpretation of fair chase.)

The one situation I can think of is sitting in a blind at the edge of a field in front of decoys. I've seen it done a lot and have done it once. I don't consider it very sporting or particularly skillful and lacking much in woodsmanship, but I would still associate with those that do.

Number17

Quote from: Zobo on March 06, 2024, 08:25:28 PM

The operative word here is GIFT, not given away as an afterthought. It was a gift to repay the generosity of a callmaker who made me something of even greater value and wouldn't take money for it.
I researched what I was looking for and found Yoder's holsters to be the top of the craft. I don't hunt with a box call, so I never had any reason to own such a piece of work anyway.
Hopefully that was written clearly enough for you. I know you have a hard time following along.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Zobo

Quote from: Number17 on March 06, 2024, 09:58:06 PM
I researched what I was looking for and found Yoder's holsters to be the top of the craft. I don't hunt with a box call, so I never had any reason to own such a piece of work anyway.
Hopefully that was written clearly enough for you. I know you have a hard time following along.

I have been told that before  :TooFunny:
You could possibly fit in well on our new hunting team, if you're interested pm me.

Tail Feathers

Quote from: runngun on March 05, 2024, 01:14:05 PM
I can't wait for someone to bring up shooting turkeys with rifles like some folks do in Texas!!!! HEY!!! IT'S LEGAL!!!

NOT FOR ME!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
A spring turkey hunter with a rifle is a rare sight in those parts of Texas that allow it.  But many a turkey is sniped by a deer rifle during the fall season.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

strum

No sir officer I dint not stalk that bird.   I called from my front porch and left the house. He was searching for ma all morning.
I cant believe he found me this far away.  :funnyturkey:

RutnNStrutn

I think a lot of guys, on this topic and many others, don't take into consideration that not everyone comes from the same circumstances, or has the same opportunities that others do. When I was a young man and new to turkey hunting, I worked my tail off and had very few days to hunt. When I did get to hunt, it was on heavily pressured public lands, and I had very few turkeys to my credit. I didn't have lots of money or time, or a nice turkey lease with chufa plots and little pressure. When I did get out to turkey hunt, I would harvest any gobbler I could within legal methods. If I couldn't call 'em up, I had no problem crawling them up. It takes a lot of skill, and a little bit of luck to ambush a turkey, or even harder a group of turkeys. I've done it and it was super exciting!!
Therefore I am not judgmental of other hunters. I am of the thought process that if it is legal, and it makes you happy, I wish you the best of luck. Now that I'm older and retired, I have more time and opportunities, mainly hunt private land, and have many turkeys under my belt. I don't even recall the last time I shot a gobbler that I didn't call in, but it's been a while. To each their own, as long as it's legal.
Legal is black and white, ethical is a matter of opinion. You may think a style of hunting is unethical, myself and others may or may not agree.
Good luck to all of you this spring, whether you call them up, or crawl them up. :icon_thumright: :fud: :turkey:

Zobo

Look you are definitely entitled to your opinion in this matter, but I disagree.
Turkey hunting is all about calling the bird to the hunter. That's it, period.
It's exactly the same issue as shooting (sluicing) sitting duck or geese. Or pot shooting a grouse or pheasant that's not on the wing.
There is an important fair chase issue and a safety issue at hand. The latter has tragic irreversible consequences.
This not elitism, it's common sense.