OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

A Turkey Call Thats A Bit Different...Tongue Call

Started by Treerooster, March 02, 2024, 01:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treerooster

I was going through my calls the other day and started playing around with this one. A tongue call made by Mike Lapp.

I liken the sound of the call to a Kenny Morgan Frictionwood call. There are a lot of different turkeys in that call. It can be a bit fussy to run given its wood on wood. Needs chalk and I've found maple and black limba strikes seem to work well as they also do with the Frictionwood. The weather can also affect the call somewhat (high humidity) but not too bad really.

I like the little quip on the back of the call too...."Call Em To Your Lapp"

Turkeybutt

It's cool when you start looking through some of your stuff you had laying around and haven't seen or used in years. Nice call!

GobbleNut

Interesting call there for sure.  Not sure how someone came up with the name "tongue call" for it.  My mental image of a "tongue call" was quite a bit different before seeing the picture.   ;D

eggshell

The very first tongue call I ever knew of was made by George Huffman of Peeples, Ohio in the 1980s. I think they originated with him. They looked a bit different than that. I knew him personally and he made me several inscribed just like yours was . He even made a giant one as a trophy for me one year. Later on in the early 2000s Scott Hembrooke (Willow ridge ca alls) started making them. I tested several for him, as he knew I had the originals. They were turkey killers but very finicky about keeping conditioned and what chalk you used. We joked and called them screaming tongues. I gave some away to kids and I traded the trophy one to a well know wildlife photographer for a #1 signed photo. I have a couple left but I haven't carried them in years. I think both that I have are Scott's, I may have one of George's. I will look and if I do I will post a picture.

GobbleNut

Quote from: eggshell on March 02, 2024, 05:12:32 PM
The very first tongue call I ever knew of was made by George Huffman of Peeples, Ohio in the 1980s. I think they originated with him. They looked a bit different than that. I knew him personally and he made me several inscribed just like yours was . He even made a giant one as a trophy for me one year. Later on in the early 2000s Scott Hembrooke (Willow ridge ca alls) started making them. I tested several for him, as he knew I had the originals. They were turkey killers but very finicky about keeping conditioned and what chalk you used. We joked and called them screaming tongues. I gave some away to kids and I traded the trophy one to a well know wildlife photographer for a #1 signed photo. I have a couple left but I haven't carried them in years. I think both that I have are Scott's, I may have one of George's. I will look and if I do I will post a picture.

Whatever happened to Scott?  ...Haven't seen anything from him in a long while... 

Treerooster

eggshell its a small world. I know Scott Hembrook and hunted with him in Wis a couple of times. I have one of his tongue calls along with some of his first Frictionwood calls he made.

Its funny that you helped him develop his tongue call because I helped him develop his Frictionwood call. I had a couple of Kenny Morgan's Frictionwoods and Scott used those to help him develop his. I have 4 of Scott's first Frictionwood calls he made. The first 2 he made were ok, but the next 2 were great, spot on! They are as good as Kenny's. I use those last 2 Frictionwoods he made to this day. They are my go-to calls for a lot of situations. Like that tongue call I posted, there is a lot of turkey in those little Frictionwood calls.

Below are pics of Scott's tongue call and one of his Frictionwoods I use to kill a turkey with.

Treerooster

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 02, 2024, 05:59:36 PM

Whatever happened to Scott?  ...Haven't seen anything from him in a long while...

Jim I still talk to charlie elk and he may know something about Scott. I'll ask Tim next time I yap with him.

eggshell

You are one of the old dogs from TTH forum Treerooster, gobblenut is another. Scott still keeps in touch on facebook. He's big into baking now LOL. I have two of his tongue calls. I could not find one of George's I think I gave it to a Kid just starting. Here's the two I have of Scott's, I got too much angle on the picture sorry.

3bailey3

Cool callers guys! I have this one from Lonnie Marby it plays great when you hit the right spots!

runngun

This is what I like!!! Turkey calls as well as some history/background on them. Tip of my hat to those who made them! Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Boykin Hollow

I also have one made by Lonnie Mabry, it is a soft talker

eggshell

Since there didn't seem to be much interest I took the vibrating tongue calls off the board. Please disregard the post. 

Tom007

Quote from: eggshell on March 03, 2024, 07:20:21 AM
Would anyone be interested in one of the two Scott Hembrooke tongue calls I have. I might part with one, but I will only do it as a donation to Old Gobbler and I would have to work that out with Shannon. Scott gave them to me so I would not feel right selling them for myself. They are prototypes and no guarantee on the sound. Again, I am only putting out feelers, Old gobbler himself will have the last word. I haven't even asked him.

Real nice gesture!
"Solo hunter"

runngun

I would be in for that!!

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Treerooster

Quote from: runngun on March 03, 2024, 12:59:43 AM
This is what I like!!! Turkey calls as well as some history/background on them. Tip of my hat to those who made them! Thanks for sharing.

I'm with ya there. I've always liked turkey calls & calling. Love talking TO turkeys...hen or gobbler. And enjoy calls with a history, no matter if that history has something to do with the sport as a whole, or just some personal history with the owner.