turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

25 Years and Counting!

Started by MK M GOBL, March 01, 2024, 02:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

This Spring will mark 25 Years of a White Headed Strutter Decoy that I developed/designed!

While I have never made the decoy, I developed the tactic/use of the "White Head" in 1999 with quite the story of how this came to be, and the years study I put in on Turkey Biology, Social Structure, and the Breeding Sequence that led me to this. The Decoy itself has changed over the years from my first Foam Body Feather Flex "Tommy" Decoy I had for a few years before the design change, to his first upgrades AKA BIG PUFFY, and then my Manual Motion System in 2005, next was the Flambeau "King Strut" that had a molded head, a flocked body and wing slots.  In 2009 I bought my first DSD Decoy an Upright Hen, these decoys were amazing in detail and durability, 2010 went to the 3/4 Strut Jake, and finally in 2011 at an end of the season sale on turkey decoys at the store and my DSD Strutter purchase, after making a number of upgrades to him before the spring of 2012 when I first hunted him, then to 2019 and again a new DSD Jake Strutter "lil' Puffy" that I "Gobblerized" with a Long Beard and a Full Fan and my White Headed Design, I went to this decoy for the mobility of the smaller body size and carry weight.

I can't say enough about the success of the White Head other than my

"He's Dead Using the White Head"

MK M GOBL

Kytomgetter

That's great. It's really cool reading and looking at the old pics of when things first got started. Congratulations on 25 years it has definitely been a game changer. God bless

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Harty

Neat story. Thanks for sharing. You're decoy tips have certainly helped me through the years!

Dtrkyman

First one I remember was the pretty boy, where did that fall in line?

I remember my friend got one and the first tom that saw it ran for the hills, last time he used it...lol

I had a strutter mount that was crap so i used it for a decoy for years, a young boy named him Bob, I used Bob for a few years
with a standard colored head, was a freeze dried head and the best looking part of the mount, I later brushed over it with white
after that pretty boy video talked about the white head.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 02, 2024, 07:58:40 AM
First one I remember was the pretty boy, where did that fall in line?

I remember my friend got one and the first tom that saw it ran for the hills, last time he used it...lol

I had a strutter mount that was crap so i used it for a decoy for years, a young boy named him Bob, I used Bob for a few years
with a standard colored head, was a freeze dried head and the best looking part of the mount, I later brushed over it with white
after that pretty boy video talked about the white head.

Here are my notes on "Release" Dates

Feather Flex "Bubba" 1994

Feather Flex "Tommy T" 1997

*BIG PUFFY My "White Headed" Strutter 1999

Pretty Boy released 2003

Primos B-Mobile released 2007

DSD Strutter released 2011 (Red Face)

*I made the first White Headed DSD in 2012

DSD released a "White Face" 2018

*lil' PUFFY 2019 White Headed (Jake Strutter) & "Gobblerized"

Avian-X HDR Strutter with White Head 2022

Yup, first commercially available "White Head" I had seen was the Pretty Boy, he was released in 2003, then Primos B-Mobile in 2007. Somewhere after 2001 I was "Building" and selling these to customers at the store. I started making more mods and upgrades in decoys. There was King Strut when Flambeau bought Feather Flex and he went flocked. In 2011 I bought my first DSD an Upright Hen, after her I bought the DSD Strutter and added all my mods to him DEADLY, I started modding them and selling these right away, killed my first bird over him in 2012, I was holding seminars and was getting customers asking for that decoy. Eventually I was emailing back and forth with DSD Robyn and Charlie because customers wanted them direct from DSD. DSD released one, a "White Face" in 2018. I have no idea how many I made over the years but was/is a lot, Avian-X released a Strutter with a White Head in I think 2022 and called it "New" and Revolutionary" LOL I'm like ummm yeah 23years ago...

I have made other Upgrades to the DSD's I still build, my developments are still not used anywhere else and make the decoy for easy, rapid setup, and there's my Manual Motion System (2005)

MK M GOBL

Dtrkyman

Cool stuff, I never really used decoys too much until I had a client that was a taxidermist, he brought decoys for a hunt I guided and the
difference was remarkable compared to the decoys of that time.  Used them until DSD came out, I was bowhunting only for a while and
used decoys nearly every hunt.

I currently only have a DSD jake, think I have shot one bird with it over the past 4 or 5 years.

Greg Massey

Congrats and also congrats on the amount of time you send to help our youth..

Dtrkyman

What are your thoughts on a white faced jake?

Greg Massey

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 02, 2024, 09:54:06 AM
Congrats and also congrats on the amount of time you send to help our youth..

zelmo1

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 02, 2024, 10:43:27 AM
What are your thoughts on a white faced jake?

First question would be is that the only male turkey decoy you will be using? or do you hunt a strutter too?
If the jake is your only male decoy then yes, a white headed jake will work too.

As for my sets I will never have more than one jake decoy out, reason being is that the "Gangs" of jakes will/can be more dominant than a tom, I do not want to portray this scenario.

Then for me it comes down to I hunt a Strutter, he is there as the Dominant Decoy in my sets, I set a jake as a subordinate to him and I want him Red Headed in my sets.  There are a number of reasons I do this in my sets, and a lot goes into social structure.

MK M GOBL

owlhoot

Dtrkyman

I have never used multiple male decoys and never will, single Jake 99% of the time when I use a deke these days.

I finally retired my old stuffer hen and probably won't buy a hen decoy.

I have no idea how many toms have been shot off the back of that DSD jake?(dozens)  Use it often when guiding.

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 02, 2024, 09:54:06 AM
Congrats and also congrats on the amount of time you spend to help our youth.

Thanks Greg

MK M GOBL