OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bad Calling - Advantage or Disadvantage

Started by Greg Massey, February 28, 2024, 12:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kytrkyhntr

I don't think calling is overrated. Patience is the number one tool for killing turkeys. All tools rank differently on different days and different birds. Sometimes I blow the reeds out of a mouth call if he wants me too. Sometimes I have to get in front of him and wait him out. And sometimes I'm not so patient and I do some crawling to cut the distance. Patience is number one but sometimes it just ain't feesable (like when you gotta get to work, you're hungry, or you're on your neighbors place)
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

ferocious calls

Living with turkeys can really help understand why they say what and when. Having our calling sound realistic can only be a plus. Practice, Practice, practice. 

eggshell

Here's your picture resized if you want to delete the big one.

ferocious calls Pic.

ferocious calls

MS TurkeyHunter

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on February 28, 2024, 01:45:59 PM
Mediocre calling and good woodsmanship trumps awesome calling and poor woodsmanship when it comes to killing turkey.

It is more important to understand WHAT you are saying and WHEN to say it than it is to just sound like a world champion.

As far as the woodsmanship part, a lot of that is the set up like has previously been mentioned. And moving through the woods undetected, understand turkey patterns and behavior, etc.
This 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runngun

Quote from: WV Flopper on February 29, 2024, 11:35:03 PM
Sam, did you mean left handed?

I am left handed, I have adapted, I can go either way. LOL.
I am left handed too! I always said that left handed folks need to be on disability!!!! We live in a right handed world!!! The rest of the world is backwards!!!
We ain't wrong, we just different! In the words of Waylon!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

WV Flopper

The girl and I are both left handed. Our son...right handed? We debated tying his right hand behind his back for the first few years.

Typical, I lost that fight. Now the boy is cursed by being "normal". Whatever.

Happy

My grandad is a lefty. For years, all of his guns were pumps, semi's, and lever actions. He finally forked over the money for a beautiful Remington 700bdl in .270. He sighted it in and killed four deer with it, then hung it up. Hasn't hunted it since. He told me that he knew he would never miss with that gun, and it just didn't didn't seem fair.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

RiverBuck

My son is left handed but right eye dominant.. He refuses to hold the shotgun on his right shoulder. Sitting next to him hunting and watching him pull the trigger is pushing me towards finding therapist

WV Flopper

I understand his thoughts on fare game hunting. I too feel sorry for game occasionally with my shooting abilities.

Now, dang it, good calling is better than bad calling period! Patience is better than no patience! Back to the topic at hand!!!

Happy

I will counter that if a fellow is a good caller, understands turkey behavior, and is a pretty good woodsman, he ain't gonna need a whole lot of patience. Now, the exception to that is on those small properties that you mentioned earlier. It is a good point, and I agree they need to be hunted carefully or you risk ruining them. I hunt with a fellow on one of those properties as well, and I don't think I have stayed in one spot for more than an hour, and our success rate is unreal. When one gobbles on this chunk, I almost feel bad for him. Different strokes for different folks, I suppose.

WV Flopper

Happy, I had a half way good response in the makings half typed up and hit the back button one to many times.

I will summerize: I have had F ed up a turkey hunt in every way you could dream of with the exception of shooting myself in the foot!

When plenty of turkeys abound you can move on to the next. When you have one turkey available you need to make it happen. Patience and good calling will prevail.

Patience, IMO, doesn't mean setting in one spot all day. There are hundreds of examples of patience. Hundreds easily.

Knowing the land? Leave the house, drive a thousand miles and kill a turkey. Just how much of the land do you think that person knows?

Happy

Happy, I had a half way good response in the makings half typed up and hit the back button one to many times.
Been there sir..
It may be a matter of our interpretation of the word patience. I ain't out to change anyone's mind, though. I hope you have a great spring, filled with gobbling turkeys and lots of memories

GobbleNut

So many good, accurate comments made on this topic.  Well done, OG Team!
My summation after reading it all while nodding my head in agreement, is that much of the need for calling skill, patience, and the like all come down to where we are hunting and the specific conditions that exist there.  The well-worn cliche of "one size fits all" most certainly does not apply in turkey hunting.   :icon_thumright:

Now, I've gotta go.  I've got a 20 acre patch that I gotta "run 'n gun" on this morning.  ...Figure it will take me about five minutes to run the one gobbler off.  Once I do that, I am going to hit the 20,000-acre plot that has ten gobblers on it and plop my rear in down in the first spot I like and wait for the nearest gobbler (which, unfortunately, happens to be five miles away) to show up....sometime next month.   ;D

Greg Massey

Never under estimate a good homemade blind in a strategic location in trying to call gobblers, let's not forget gobblers don't always gobble. So as the morning progresses and your running all over the place every 30 minutes and spooking birds off that 100 - 2000 ac because you don't have the time for patience, you might say to yourself am i doing this right. Sometimes moving slow and covering less ground could be a big advantage. So is there a right way or wrong way? I just like to have all the options on the table for myself.. 

What amazes me. sometimes you start talking blinds and these newer generation THINK POP-UP blinds... No No... Old school blinds the ones you make out of the surrounding brush, leaves, pine needles and whatever else you want to use. That's a blind.  Sure a Pop UP blind is a lot easier. I've used both and will always have a blind located in what i feel is a great location on the farm / land.  My main purpose for setting up that blind is out of necessity in those foul weather days. These blinds give me options to hunt on these type days.

Now trying to use a POP-UP on public is pretty much useless but it's not to say you can use some natural vegetation and construct you a homemade ground blind and as the morning progress make you way to that area and setup and do some blind calling. It's all about being stealth and using everything to your advantage as the morning becomes mid-day and the majority of the other hunters are at the bed and breakfast bar. Turkey season is only so long, so have patience and pack a lunch.

Left hand / right hand ... I'm AMBIDEXTROUS myself ... LOL             Lots of great information has been shared in these posts. Remember we are also trying to help the newbies to turkey hunting also... IMO