OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Bad Calling - Advantage or Disadvantage

Started by Greg Massey, February 28, 2024, 12:11:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Quote from: bbcoach on February 28, 2024, 01:43:54 PM
Personally, I don't think any of us has the slightest idea of what GOOD calling is.  I'll explain.  We are human beings and are hunting a wild animal.  For the most part, we all have that Perfect Hen in OUR HEAD.  We try to immolate that hen.  We buy calls because of that hen.  We have calling contests, entered by humans and judged by humans and award what those judges think is the World Champion based on this bias.  To me, there is only one judge we should rely on and that is that Gobbler we are trying to bag.  It is evident, all of us has bias on this forum, because everyone of us agree to disagree of what we think the Best call is.  We ALL get beat, even World Champions, every day of the season.  I believe calling and woodsmanship play a very Big part in calling in that gobbler and it depends on what that gobbler has in his HEAD on any given day.  Carry a bunch of different calls every hunt and see which one will get in HIS HEAD.  You may be surprised.

Good Point ...

Happy

Bad calling is never an advantage. However, most people haven't listened to a lot of turkeys. Growing up, I was around them constantly. You learn things if you pay attention. I have no aspirations of being a competition caller. However, I am better than average, and more importantly, I feel completely at home calling to them. In the woods, I can typically pick out a hunter on the first series of calls I hear from them. Probably 90% accurate. I have been 100% on box calls for some reason. I know they are very effective, but so far, I can pick them out in the woods every time. I have run into a few that were good on diaphragms that had me guessing. Being able to replicate the sounds of a turkey is one thing. Being able to call like one is another beast entirely.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Gooserbat

Cadence is king.  Sure you got to have a turkey tone but it's very secondary.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tal

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 28, 2024, 03:04:39 PM
Cadence is king.  Sure you got to have a turkey tone but it's very secondary.
I tune my tube calls to male tones and it's the cadence/rhythm. When conventional wisdom has them call shy and people say you can't call, I've been the oldest, hottest, bossiest hen in the woods to good effect. An old turkey man once told me if you are sounding EXACTLY like a turkey, the worst thing that can happen is he just ignores you. Good thread and as most know on here you reach a point you're not making calls anymore, you're trying to talk with them. Almost ain't good enough on pressured birds. As Happy pointed out, they do a lot more than yelp.

eggshell

Quote from: Happy on February 28, 2024, 02:28:59 PM
Bad calling is never an advantage. However, most people haven't listened to a lot of turkeys. Growing up, I was around them constantly. You learn things if you pay attention. I have no aspirations of being a competition caller. However, I am better than average, and more importantly, I feel completely at home calling to them. In the woods, I can typically pick out a hunter on the first series of calls I hear from them. Probably 90% accurate. I have been 100% on box calls for some reason. I know they are very effective, but so far, I can pick them out in the woods every time. I have run into a few that were good on diaphragms that had me guessing. Being able to replicate the sounds of a turkey is one thing. Being able to call like one is another beast entirely.

Dang, it hurts me to say this, but I completely agree with Happy. I have argued many times with my buddies over this. I remember one day in a national forest I heard a bird hammering and we slipped across a ridge to listen. I told my buddy I bet someone was set up on him. When we got about 300 yards above the gobbler I sat down to listen. My buddy exclaimed, I hear a hen, maybe we can cut him off". I said, "it's a hunter calling" and he insisted it was a hen. I told him we were not moving an inch, but we'd hang out for the shot. I offered to bet dinner but somehow he declined. About 10 minutes later, boom and silence. I jabbed him in the ribs and told him, "never doubt me again".  I probably have exceptional hearing for my age, but it doesn't help me that much. It's all in the tone and cadence and knowing the language, as Happy said. There's sort of a hollow yet complete tone to a real turkey and most hunters don't have it. I hear it best off mouth calls, but there are some good friction callers too. Now for the meat, gooserbat is right, cadence is king. The queen is knowing what to say when. Most hunters approach a turkey hunt like a teenage girl at a sleepover, I got to talk over everyone else and say more, and throw in a few giggles. The girl that leaves the bar with the guy gave him a coy look and smile and a sweet hello, my name is horny. Since we can't give him that look and smile from afar, we best learn to say, want to come over to my place as sweet and sexy as possible. Fortunately most gobblers are like horny teenage boys and ready to hump anything that'll hold still, so mediocre calling will do most of the time. But if your trying to coerce  the pastor's daughter to slip out of church with you, I suggest  you talk sweet and low and be convincing. Oh yeah, location is a big plus. Your chances of getting the pastor's daughter out of that church aren't good, but a bar or party increases your odds. Find out where old tom goes to party and your gonna score more often. The moral of this teenage girl rant is, good calling scores more gobblers, but it ain't everything. I say there's four factors associated with success and you need to meet at least three of them to kill him:
Making the right call at the right time
Calling quality (cadence and tone)

Like poker, there are wild cards; A decoy will trump at least one of the above. Competition is the other wild card, that's why reaping is deadly.

ruination

.410 Favors the Bold

runngun

That "Hollow" sound eggshell talks about is exactly the word that I was looking for. Just my opinion, that is why a trumpet call "can" be effective.
This thread is slam full of knowledge and wisdom.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

paboxcall

Quote from: tal on February 28, 2024, 03:44:23 PM
Almost ain't good enough on pressured birds. As Happy pointed out, they do a lot more than yelp.

:agreed:

Public ground, have heard many times a better caller pull a gobbler past a mediocre caller. Maybe ignore that mediocre caller might be a better term, never answering once on the way in.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

runngun

Also I never Cutt LOUD!!! Because once you turn it loose, you can't take it back!!!
Progressive!!! More than car insurance.
I have a kind of bag thing that Preston Pittman gave me I think that he calls it "Flap and Scatch" or something like that. Sounds exactly like scratching in the leaves. I fold it up and put a rubber band around it when it is in my vest. Could possibly be the bestis "call" I have.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

g8rvet

I try to sound like a 2 pack a day, morally degenerate woman that drinks brown liquor.

Less is more, until more is more, but usually less is more. 

2 years ago I called in a bird that never answered my buddy's call, only mine.  The very next day, he called in a bird that never answered my call, only his.  These birds are crazy.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

EZ

All other things being equal.... woodsman ship, turkey knowledge, terrain knowledge.....being a good caller, meaning striving to understand turkey vocabulary, their feelings and how to convey that message with any and all your particular calls, will always pay dividends over time.

When you get to the point that you don't even think about how to call or what call to make, you just react to the given situation, you've learned well.

That being said, sitting on a turkey rich farm with no hunting pressure trumps a lot of bad calling, lol!!!

WV Flopper

There's a lot in this post I can agree upon, especially the brown liquor.

Out of a 100 times good calling and calling technique will far surpass the success of bad calling and technique, guaranteed!

I really only have one thing to say, and it has already been said.

Don't show your hand all at one time, work into calling a turkey slow. As said: you can't take it back. I enjoy calling to turkeys, very much. But, I have killed a nice pile of turkeys that have heard no more than three soft yelps from me!

Spurs Up

Quote from: bbcoach on February 28, 2024, 01:43:54 PM
Personally, I don't think any of us has the slightest idea of what GOOD calling is.  I'll explain.  We are human beings and are hunting a wild animal.  For the most part, we all have that Perfect Hen in OUR HEAD.  We try to immolate that hen.  We buy calls because of that hen.  We have calling contests, entered by humans and judged by humans and award what those judges think is the World Champion based on this bias.  To me, there is only one judge we should rely on and that is that Gobbler we are trying to bag.  It is evident, all of us has bias on this forum, because everyone of us agree to disagree of what we think the Best call is.  We ALL get beat, even World Champions, every day of the season.  I believe calling and woodsmanship play a very Big part in calling in that gobbler and it depends on what that gobbler has in his HEAD on any given day.  Carry a bunch of different calls every hunt and see which one will get in HIS HEAD.  You may be surprised.

Great Thread Greg.  I think we will see some great comments.

Yep.  It ain't bad if it works.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 28, 2024, 12:11:02 PM
I do know some of you don't watch YouTube, but i do know you hunt public and private ground and have heard some pretty bad calling and some pretty good calling.

Agree with most everything already said before.  I would reinforce some of those comments about calling by seconding the quote above from Greg.  If you want to really see the relative importance...or lack thereof...of calling, just take the time to watch some of the lesser-known videos.  It is amazing what a gobbler that is looking for love (and wants to get killed) will come to in terms of calling. 

Conversely, I have also watched a number of videos made by "contest-level" callers that just didn't know when to shut up.  It does little good to impress yourself...or other hunters you are with...with great calling when the gobbler ain't buyin' it because you didn't know when to shut your yapper.   ;D :D

In summary, be the best you can be with a turkey call...but that is really only a part of the "success equation".  Granted, sometimes it is a bigger part than some of the other factors involved, but very often those other factors are at least as important, if not more-so.   :icon_thumright:

Zobo

Quote from: g8rvet on February 28, 2024, 06:30:48 PM
I try to sound like a 2 pack a day, morally degenerate woman that drinks brown liquor.

My kind of lady!  :TooFunny:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14