turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hearing problems…

Started by jrgrimmy, February 26, 2024, 09:45:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jrgrimmy

Hey all, looking for some advise on dealing with tinnitus. Last spring I managed to get a good ear infection and tinnitus at the same time. It literally left me spinning in the woods trying to figure out which direction the birds were gobbling.
This year the ear infection is gone, but the tinnitus is apparently here to stay. Has anyone else dealt with this? How do you deal with the tinnitus? Last spring left me bird less and quite frustrated. Looking for advice on how everyone else has dealt with hearing loss.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

I honestly don't know what it's like for my ears not to ring.  tinnitus has been a constant my whole life.  I guess I have adapted to it and it's not a n issue other than sometimes I can't hear my wife.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Notsoyoungturk

I also have tinnitus.  Like Gooserbat, I cannot remember when it was not there.  I notice it mostly at night when things are quiet.  Most of the time, it is related to hearing loss and damage to the auditory system.  For many of us, that damage is noise related due to a lifetime of shooting without hearing protection.  Age can also be a factor.  There are, however, many other things that can cause it.  In your case, this may be an after effect of the infection.  What else can cause it, medications, diabetes, hypothyroidism, vascular issues, neurologic issues, bone diseases, autoimmune diseases, etc....  If it does not improve, speak to your local MD.  They will usually ask some questions about the type, duration and associated symptoms.   Ask if a referral to an ENT might be in order.  Depending on the cause, there may be some treatments that are beneficial.  I know I didn't answer your question but you need to make sure you ID the cause prior to picking the treatment.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Tribute Custom Calls

Ringing in my ears off and on has been going on for years and sometimes it's the worst when I'm in a quiet environment ( calm Turkey/Deer Woods ). My youthful ways have definitely caught up to me unfortunately. When I was in the Army, hearing protection wasn't even really a thing, optional at best. Pretty sure Ozzy had something to do with the loss I suffer from now too.
I have tried different electronic hearing ads but it's not the same as natural hearing. Coarse I'm to cheap to spend big money for the higher end ones. Hindsight is definitely 20/20 in the hearing loss area because you certainly can't repair it once it's gone.
Unfortunately I have no good advice for you, but if you come with something let me know.
Share the knowledge and introduce somebody to the Outdoors

Tail Feathers

I have a high school coach blowing a whistle constantly in my left ear.  Slightly less in my right ear.  If a cure exists my doctor doesn't know about it.

Tetra hearing helps me hear turkeys and course them too.  It's a huge help.  But the tinnitus doesn't leave.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Paulmyr

I get tinnitus sporadically from operating heavy equipment. One trick that seems to work for me sometimes is to place your hands with the palms against the side of your head and use your pointer or index finger to firmly tap the neck muscle where it meets the base of your skull on both side of your spine for a about a min.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Tom007

I just had a hearing test that yielded interesting results. My hearing is pretty good, I do not need aids. I did find that my right ear is a little worse than my left. The doctor knew I was a hunter, and a shooter. He asked me if I was a righty, or lefty. I told him that I was a lefty. He asked if I used left handed shotguns. I told him I did not. When I shoot target, trap etc, I wear hearing protection. I do not when I hunt. He told me that the noise from the shots over time effected the right ear due to the percussion/noise when the bolt flies open. Even though you take very few shots hunting each year, it adds up over time. I now where protection using power equipment, anything loud. Hunting, especially for turkey, we need our ears, so I sacrifice these shots without protection..
"Solo hunter"

FL-Boss

Good post. I recently got tinnitus in my left ear about 9 months ago and it hasn't gone away. Really only notice it when quite at night time like others mentioned.  I can hear fine out of that ear, just higher frequencies have changed....along with constant ringing.  Went and talked to a few different ENT's....basically nothing they can do. Lots of things can cause it... obviously years of shooting without muffs when dumb and young, medications, etc, etc. Tinnitus actually has more to do with your brain than ear from my understanding...   

Paulmyr

Quote from: FL-Boss on February 26, 2024, 02:09:11 PM
Tinnitus actually has more to do with your brain than ear from my understanding...   

I believe you are correct. When you suffer hearing loss the brain is still used to hearing the ambient noises from when you had better hearing. In some people the brain adjusts by either ignoring the lack of noise or creating it's own to fill the void or something on that order. At least that's how I've heard it explained.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Tail Feathers

Oh Lawdy!  I'm Dain Bramaged! :toothy12:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Neill_Prater

Had it as long as I can remember, seems louder as I get older. My actual hearing loss is considered mild, but the tinnitus definitely causes issues with soft sounds or distant gobbles.

I have hearing aids, which I don't wear constantly like I should. I find they help hunting, primarily in pinpointing the direction of gobbles. I've tried muffs which simply amplify all the sound, but they make it even more difficult to ascertain the direction.

Be aware, most, probably all, traditional hearing aids do not have high decibel safety cutoff, which means you should avoid shooting with them.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

backforty

I deal with it also. Not much you can do about the ringing except try not to focus on it. As far as identifying direction of a gobble , if I hear one and can't tell direction I will turn 90 degrees and listen again. I can almost always get a direction that way. If that doesn't work try cupping your ears with your hands, it amplifies the sounds and makes it easier to determine direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Print by Madison, on Flickr

Greg Massey

I have always had a little problem with it myself and i have learned to live with it...  I think Blood Pressure problems can cause some ringing of the ears..

Overall my hearing is really good, the problem i have with my hearing is understanding those drive up food order places.

RutnNStrutn

Between loud music and shooting guns as a youngster, followed up with 34 years in the fire department, tinnitus is my constant companion, along with verified hearing loss.
To help compensate for this in the woods I use the Axil GS Extreme 2.0 hearing enhancer and protector. It combines adjustable hearing enhancement, hearing protection at 85 decibels and above, and bluetooths to your phone. It's small, lightweight, and comes with 3 different styles of ear inserts made from different materials for differing usage. It has rechargable lithium ion batteries and comes in a handy, compact carrying case. And it's on sale now for $129. I love mine and use it every hunt.
Here's the link in case you're interested.
https://goaxil.com/collections/ear-buds/products/gx-extreme

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

WV Flopper

Just like the others, I have had it for as long as I can remember.

Ironically, the only time I notice it is in the quiet of my house or if it briefly stops. It very rarely stops.

My hearing loss is from gun fire and high frequency motors. Gobblers do not seem to get past my hearing, yet. I am sure it could be better but for now I can still pick out a distant gobble before a not so much of a turkey hunter can.

I do need more gobbles now to locate than I did when I was twenty. Depending on how deep, it may take 3 or 4 gobbles for me to locate.