News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Hunting Camo History

Started by Tom007, February 25, 2024, 04:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Quote from: Bill on February 25, 2024, 09:54:56 PM
Does anyone remember "Ranger" brand camouflage clothing?  That's the first I recall being sold as hunting camo in sporting goods stores. This would have been in the late 1960's. Prior to that, you could buy "Greenbriar" clothing from the Bill Boatman catalog. That was simply olive drab, not regulation camo per se, but it was good stuff. Our own Eggshell was involved in that enterprise, I believe.

I thought I had been around for a while.    But neirher Ranger or Greenbriar are ringing any bells.......althought the Bill Boatman catalog floated around our house.

You chance have any pics or other details on the clothes, Bill ??
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

My first camo outfit was a light cotton woodland-type jacket and pants from ~1978.   I bought a Carhartt jacket and pants in Trebark when it came out.    Then original Realtree Brown Leaf.

Still have them all.   Don't know who they'd fit.........   ::)       But I have them.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

WildTigerTrout

My first camo outfit was a two piece pants and shirt set in the only one available at the time, the WW2 camo pattern.  That was about 1975.  Then to Woodland, Realtree, etc.  My all time favorite pattern is  Bill Jordan's Advantage "Timber".  My Benelli SBE I is that pattern.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Bill

I thought I had been around for a while.    But neirher Ranger or Greenbriar are ringing any bells.......althought the Bill Boatman catalog floated around our house.

[/quote]

We had complete outfits back then but the only thing left of that old "Ranger" camo is this fragment of a headnet that I use to this day on whatever hat is handy. Wish I could find more of it.  All the new headnet material is stiff and shiny by comparison.

If Eggshell sees this I am sure he will chime in re: Greenbrier.  He actually knew and worked for Bill Boatman back in the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Quote from: Bill on February 26, 2024, 12:01:12 PM

We had complete outfits back then but the only thing left of that old "Ranger" camo is this fragment of a headnet that I use to this day on whatever hat is handy. Wish I could find more of it.  All the new headnet material is stiff and shiny by comparison.

If Eggshell sees this I am sure he will chime in re: Greenbrier.  He actually knew and worked for Bill Boatman back in the day.

[/quote]

Cool Camo there......
"Solo hunter"

Dtrkyman

I still have an old vest in the Fratzke pattern.

Winona I believe is the camo, always thought KUIU copied it a bit with their Vias pattern.

Neill_Prater

That guy with the headnet looks as dumb as a post!

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Yoder409

[/quote]

That's a VERY similar pattern to the "woodland-like" jacket and pants I have.......
PA elitist since 1979

Bill

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 26, 2024, 05:15:24 PM

That's a VERY similar pattern to the "woodland-like" jacket and pants I have.......

Maybe it's he same thing?  "Ranger" is just a brand name I remember, not necessarily a specific camoflage pattern.

Bill

Quote from: Neill_Prater on February 26, 2024, 04:51:53 PM
That guy with the headnet looks as dumb as a post!

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

It's sad that in today's society people continue to judge posts based simply on their appearance.

PALongspur

I have a lot of fond memories (and thankfully, photos) of my late father wearing Trebark hunting turkeys. He was never into fads or technical stuff but he was serious about concealment.

Happy

I still have a little of the old school stuff. I have given a pile of it away. Every once in a while, i break some out and kill a turkey while wearing it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Tom007

Quote from: Happy on February 26, 2024, 08:29:44 PM
I still have a little of the old school stuff. I have given a pile of it away. Every once in a while, i break some out and kill a turkey while wearing it.

Now I see why they call you "Happy"! Great pic!
"Solo hunter"

ElkTurkMan

I have a one of those bottomland 870's. It's my main turkey rig. I will never part with it. I also still have a treebark jacket and treebark rain coat from the 80's. I still wear and hunt in  the jacket. The rain coat not so much as it's pretty noisy.

Tom007

Quote from: ElkTurkMan on February 27, 2024, 06:44:36 PM
I have a one of those bottomland 870's. It's my main turkey rig. I will never part with it. I also still have a treebark jacket and treebark rain coat from the 80's. I still wear and hunt in  the jacket. The rain coat not so much as it's pretty noisy.

The bottomland 870's are really nice, I enjoy mine too.  I wish they would introduce them again, they would be a big hit....
"Solo hunter"