OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hunting Camo History

Started by Tom007, February 25, 2024, 04:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Camouflage has come along way over the years, in fact it's a multi-million dollar industry. We all remember the early Military Camo in the 70's, Woodland, Tiger Stripe etc. I myself started with Military Tiger Stripe on my PA opener in the early 80's. In 1985, Jim Crumley invented Trebark Camo. It started as a deer hunter favorite, but quickly hit the turkey woods. Jim is known to be the father/pioneer of the early hunting camouflage. Then shortly after in 1986 Bill Jordan introduced Realtree and Toxey Haas introduced Mossy Oak. These 3 patterns in my opinion set the standard for all that followed. I believe that Mossy Oak leads the pack today, especially in the turkey community. Many of the famous Turkey guns from the early days sported Original Bottomland, Greenleaf, Mossy Oak Treestand and Trebark. Trebark is probably the rarest Camo found on Turkey Guns, the rare and sought after Remington 1187 in Trebark demands top dollar in the market today. I myself love this Old School Camo, I enjoy collecting the Old School Camo Turkey guns. I think a great marketing ploy would be to re-introduce these original patterns back into the Turkey specific firearms on the market today. Thanks for listening, your input here is welcome.....
"Solo hunter"

Howie g

The few pics my parents took of me with turkeys / deer / squirrels when I was a teenager, I had on the same brown carhart over alls and a faded army camo shirt .  I saw a set of bottom land camo in Natchez Ms around 88 I think .. we laughed at it .  If I'd know what I know now ,, I'd of invested in the company !

btodd00

I would love to have an original greenleaf 870

As soon as mossberg came out with a 500 in greenleaf last year I ordered one in 410

arkrem870

I grew up in hand me down classic camo. I was born in 1986 so by the time I was of age camo industry was booming. Nowadays I'm likely to wear 5 camo patterns on one hunt.  Always some classics in the mix.

Tom007

Quote from: btodd00 on February 25, 2024, 05:55:48 PM

As soon as mossberg came out with a 500 in greenleaf last year I ordered one in 410
Quote from: Howie g on February 25, 2024, 05:41:47 PM
The few pics my parents took of me with turkeys / deer / squirrels when I was a teenager, I had on the same brown carhart over alls and a faded army camo shirt .  I saw a set of bottom land camo in Natchez Ms around 88 I think .. we laughed at it .  If I'd know what I know now ,, I'd of invested in the company !

Yea, the camo industry took off and never returned. The Original Greenleaf 870 is the Holy Grail 870 for sure...
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

My first factory camo turkey gun is a NWTF Edition with the stock medallion in the old woodland camo pattern. My first real camo for turkey hunting was Tree Bark...

I still have the shotgun ...

Tom007

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 25, 2024, 06:58:07 PM
My first factory camo turkey gun is a NWTF Edition with the stock medallion in the old woodland camo pattern. My first real camo for turkey hunting was Tree Bark...

That's a treasure my friend.....
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: arkrem870 on February 25, 2024, 06:39:41 PM
I grew up in hand me down classic camo. I was born in 1986 so by the time I was of age camo industry was booming. Nowadays I'm likely to wear 5 camo patterns on one hunt.  Always some classics in the mix.

Nothing wrong with mixing Camo, in fact it is effective and a great idea.  I do it often also.....
"Solo hunter"

captpete

Greg, if you are anything like me, even if it wasn't worn out, the camo wouldn't fit anymore. :toothy12: :toothy12:

Greg Massey

Quote from: captpete on February 25, 2024, 08:16:48 PM

Greg, if you are anything like me, even if it wasn't worn out, the camo wouldn't fit anymore. :toothy12: :toothy12:

Amen, i had already handed it down many years ago,,, lol

Kytomgetter

Quote from: Tom007 on February 25, 2024, 06:53:18 PM
Quote from: btodd00 on February 25, 2024, 05:55:48 PM

Quote from: Howie g on February 25, 2024, 05:41:47 PM

Yea, the camo industry took off and never returned. The Original Greenleaf 870 is the Holy Grail 870 for sure...
I had one of these a few years back but I let a friend of mine trade me out of it. Yea it's nice for the nostalgic of it but and the end of the day it's just a camo pattern. I don't get caught up in all the trends

Bill

Does anyone remember "Ranger" brand camouflage clothing?  That's the first I recall being sold as hunting camo in sporting goods stores. This would have been in the late 1960's. Prior to that, you could buy "Greenbriar" clothing from the Bill Boatman catalog. That was simply olive drab, not regulation camo per se, but it was good stuff. Our own Eggshell was involved in that enterprise, I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cut N Run

Back in 1977, I had a tan canvas hunting coat that I'd used squirrel and dove hunting since I was 14 or 15.  I had an old school green camo field jacket that I wore duck hunting, but it stuck out in the marsh like a sore thumb.  I gathered up some acrylic paints and painted my canvas coat with cattail, marshgrass, and dead stick patterns.  It blended so well that I was standing 20 yards from a buddy of mine in the marsh just after sunrise one morning and he hollered for me, like I was a long ways off.  When he heard me say "I'm right here." and realized how close I was, he had me paint one up for him too.  Sadly, I never investigated making more or producing them on e bigger scale.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Dtrkyman

I worked in a gun shop in the 90s, we had an 1100 in greenleaf, couldn't give it away, boy have times changed.

I would have bought it but I think Remingtons are heavy and bulky so I never cared for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bailey3

Man I like something different, I love the Kuiu camo and also just got a hat and pull over from Dead bird walking that I really like..