OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Turkey Tote

Started by Swamp_870, February 21, 2024, 10:22:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Swamp_870

Who uses them? Are they really worth it?

CALLM2U

100% worth it in my opinion.  I make my own out of leather and they seem to hold up well.  I generally hunt deep in mountains so they are essential in my book. 

turkeymanjim

Best way to tote a gobbler out of the bush when using a bike.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

Yes, I keep one in my satchel, I ask Glenda Green to make me a simple one the other day from the same material she makes the gun slings from and I wanted it light weight and where you can roll it up etc..   The shoulder part is Bottomland material with nylon loops coming off each end of the tote ..

Swamp_870

I've never been one to hop on the trend train, but last year I found myself crotch sliding across a skinny log to cross a big creek with a dead turkey, gun, vest...etc. Not to mention I was 2.5 miles deep into public and had a long walk.

The long walks out don't bother me. I like slinging one over my shoulder no matter how far it is, but crossing that skinny log made me question not having one.

davisd9

I use the primos one with the padded shoulder strap. Makes the walks much easier. Got a paracord one that was given to me by a friend that I use for photos as the primos would take away from the gobbler.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Swamp_870

So with these straps you wrap one end around the head and one end around the feet and wear him like a fancy purse?

Not trolling just curious how these things work.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Swamp_870 on February 21, 2024, 10:38:12 AM
So with these straps you wrap one end around the head and one end around the feet and wear him like a fancy purse?

Not trolling just curious how these things work.

If you kill the gobbler and need a tote to carry him out you will figure out how to carry him pretty quick on those long walks back to the truck... LOL

But you are on the right track of how to use a tote ...

Swamp_870

Or is it more like a duck strap?

Swamp_870

@Greg So definitely money well spent?

3bailey3

Yes I use one I got from someone on here, had him make it orange for safety reasons.

Turkeybutt

Get one you wont be sorry!

Greg Massey

soILstrutter

I made one about 5 years back out of cobra weaved paracord wrapped around a big loop of paracord. loops showing on both ends. probably cost less than a dollar to make and it has been well worth it. I still like throwing one over the shoulder, but I'm not too proud to admit when something makes life a lot easier, so I use it almost every time now.

randywallace

Yep.  I keep a Cox Turkey 2-toter in my bag.  Its a leather, sling style over the shoulder tote with dual clasps on each end so you can easily carry 2 out. 

Much easier than the wrist totes or not having a tote at all.  Those paracord wrist totes aren't comfortable at all on a long walk out.