OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Did you keep a count of Long Beards taken?

Started by ShootingABN!, February 20, 2024, 09:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

I remember  Dwain Bland writing that he had " Killed A Small Army Of Turkeys".  Loved his Book-- Turkey Hunters Digest and The Pictures!!
   One picture showed him after finding a Human Skull in the Mexican Mts. while Turkey Hunting and another showed him stepping out from behind a old Barn and taking a Fall Gobbler on the wing with his Muzzleloader with the caption below-- Easy Pickins.

ScottTaulbee

Counting ones I've called up for others and they shot, 112 since 2006 at age 11. I keep up with it because I worked so hard to get that first one. I hunted for 5 years every day that my dad or brother would take me before I got the first. Completely self taught on hunting them and calling them. But I'm in the process of writing a book for my kids of my hunts, tips, tricks, and things I've observed on those hunts. Just a little something to have for them and if they decide they like it, I can share it in written form for them to always look back at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

runngun

Just reading this post is definitely worth a look!!! This is great! Just my opinion, roll on fellers!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Tom007

Quote from: neal on February 22, 2024, 09:59:03 AM
I've got every single beard from every gobbler I've ever killed. Either on the bird or on my display

Neal

Love that Oscellated Bird, nice collection
"Solo hunter"

3bailey3

crow

davisd9

Do I know off the top of my head no, do I have it written in a log, yes.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

MK M GOBL

After I first started turkey hunting, I kept a logbook of my hunts as I was self-taught and so I could reference back to some notes, and properties that I hunted early on, after those first 5 years as I became more consistent in my luck with turkey hunting, a few things happened and I began to do some guiding and then at this point kept track of every bird we killed as it was "part of the business" to post your success percentages for future customers, I guided for 5 years and had a 100% success ratio. This in some way also put me off of the guiding for turkey thing and dealing with clients was not the most fun, there's a bit of a story in this. But after I quit guiding, I got into helping others with turkey hunting, I had been doing my "Turkey University" Series of Seminars, and then started taking others, no money, no pressure, just fun! A few more years passed, and I was asked to help with a "Learn to Hunt" Program through the State of Wisconsin and a local Sportsman's Club/Organization, this just clicked with me, I had really helped a number of people get their first bird in previous years and this was a great program, I have been doing the LTH's now for 20years, it also got me into doing Charity Hunts, Youth Hunts and even more friends and others new to the hunt and I continue with all of these today!

I have the old hunt log as memorabilia and have since kept a hunt log on the computer, it's there for me and can't see how it really would matter to anyone else. But yes, I have a number that is rarely shared, it's not about being boastful, it's about the stories behind those numbers, things I have done, and as I log those hunts it's about the memories that were shared, this will be my 33rd Spring chasing them!

Part of all of this led me to creating my "FanAtics Turkey Displays" Business, I had been doing these for myself for years, then as for a few of my family members and then a few friends and as these were being shared to others I had friends of friends asking to have one made, as this was going on people were posting pictures on their FB pages and I had them on my personal FB page I kept getting inquires as to where I was buying these displays, finally decided to do this as a side business and opened in July of 2018.

Check out my FB Page https://www.facebook.com/FanAticTurkeyDisplays

MK M GOBL

Dougas

Quote from: Tom007 on February 21, 2024, 04:02:51 AM
Most important to me is my Turkey log book. A scribble of memories, how, where, when, weather. This is information that brings back the memories, I go back to it often.

I have the same thing. I also draw a picture with an ink pen of the kill shot.

eggshell

Yes crow, jakes count and so do sabaticals....see your number just tripled

crow

More like 10X,    and that's not even counting trenches

quavers59

Crow hit the Mark!!
    Same here Crow- No Mentor/Self Taught- Took my 1st Turkey at the last part of my 5th  Year. And kept that Journal going from day 1.
   Probably  why,I have kept count. How hard it was in the beginning.  On my own from the start.

Dtrkyman

Have shared camp and have become friends with a well known call maker.

Was teasing him a lil about his old cannon 12ga, it had 87 hash marks on it, he said he's retiring it when he gets to 100.

I then came back with, if I killed all my birds with a wood stocked gun and notched it for each bird I would have no stock left!

Turkey camp is fun!

dzsmith

I don't , but I could recollect and get pretty close . I do have an accurate photo album. From childhood til now. I used to keep a log book. Deer and turkey hunting . Did it for a few years , it was really more for the deer hunting to compare year to year info but I stopped doing that years ago.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

appalachianassassin

I stopped counting when I hit triple digits. However, I have kept a log of all the longbeards I have called in for others down to the last detail. Also in the triple digits.