OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Did you keep a count of Long Beards taken?

Started by ShootingABN!, February 20, 2024, 09:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3bailey3

I kept a log with date and place, quit the log book 15 years ago at 60 something but I do still have every beard and spurs but I have never got them out and counted, I ran across the old log book not long ago and got a kick out of some of the places I had wrote down, Swamp, Bridge,Equipment shed and Broke down barn.

soILstrutter

I have all the spurs, beards, and shotgun shells, so I guess I could count them, but don't. Like many others have stated though, I started a journal when we found out we were expecting my now 7 month old son. I have logged every buck and turkey I have shot since we knew he was on the way. I have tried to add some sort of "lesson" or thing I learned with each story. I hope he enjoys reading them some day, and hopefully he can get a couple laughs about his old man while doing so. I'm sure I will get a few looking back as well!

cracker4112

No idea.  I killed my first 40 years ago, and I got my last one last April.  Been a bunch in between but I've never kept track. I know my 17 year old has killed 6, and my 10 year old has 2 under his belt.  I sure hope I lose track of their kills too.

Tom007

The most important number in my turkey career has and always be #1, my first one. Every other one has been a God Given bonus! I look forward to the mere opportunity to continue chasing them.....
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Quote from: Tom007 on February 21, 2024, 12:54:53 PM
The most important number in my turkey career has and always be #1, my first one. Every other one has been a God Given bonus! I look forward to the mere opportunity to continue chasing them.....

Tom I agree, my first one and the only one I have mounted are the most special ones ...

OJR

I haven't killed as many as some of you, I'm sure. But I never thought to keep count. I have one of each of the six sub species mounted so I can show folks the difference, plus a couple other special ones. I do keep beards and spurs too. Been at it a long time and have enjoyed them all. Even the ones that got away.

Turkeyman

I only keep track of two things. How many turkeys I've killed (all varieties) and how many deer I've killed with the bow. But those numbers are for me alone, and a couple I consider as close friends. A heck of a lot of folks have taken far more of both.

Zobo

Quote from: Tom007 on February 21, 2024, 12:54:53 PM

The first was unforgettable, I couldn't believe I was successful, what a day!
I don't keep exact track now but I have a rough idea, I can count the beards I kept,  but I didn't keep them all especially the early years.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

quavers59

I keep Journals- so,I know how many,I have Killed since 1990 when,I got my start in Turkey Hunting at age 30. There were Zero Turkeys in my area of New York in 1974 when,I was 14 and started to hunt Pheasants.
   I am up to 128 Turkeys Killed. Spread out between New York,Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and 1 Turkey in Tennessee.

runngun

I have kept a notebook for the past 28 years, ever since my son was born. I have several notebooks.
I also kept the shells/hulls of my kids and nieces and nephews first deer/ducks/squirrels well you get the idea. I wrote name date and game on each one. They don't have a clue about it. I have them put up in Turkey call cases. I figure when they have their own kids then I will give them to them. I could go back through the notebooks if I was interested in numbers but I ain't.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Clif Owen

I know exactly how many turkeys I have shot (it ain't many) but lost count long ago how many have made me look like an idiot. I will say that I shot 1 and only 1 hen...which was a fall bowkill. It just didn't feel "right" and I refuse to shoot another. I should add that it was a legal kill but felt wrong. I also have no idea how many deer I have taken. I keep track during the season but that's because I could count leftover tags.

West Augusta

They are all hanging on my living room wall. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Paulmyr

After the 1st few gobblers I shot, I'd have to recollect them to figure out what number the current harvest was. It wasn't important to me so I stopped trying sometime in the late 90's. I do have a strutting mount, a triple beard limbhanger from Mo, my 1st multi beard.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Sixes

I haven't turkey hunted any where near as long as I have deer hunted. I kept a deer journal/kill log for a bunch of years but quit keeping up with it about 15 years ago. I had killed around 190 deer at that time with 80 something bow kills. I would conservatively guess that now it is over 300 whitetails with over half bow kills. I bowhunt 90% of the time and we have a long and liberal season. I wish I had kept up with the journals but at some point, I realized that no one else cared about it. My wife nor daughter have an interest in hunting and rarely even ask me much about it. They will make fun of me when I get obsessed with killing a certain buck or a stubborn gobbler. Luckily, we've been married long enough that my wife understands my passion and has NEVER interfered or complained about me going.

I really wish that I had kept up with the turkeys and that I had started a lot sooner than I did. I missed out on some great turkey hunting in the late 80s and early 90s in Georgia. My Dad tells stories of hearing birds in every direction and just picking a direction and going. Not sure what year that I started, but there were a lot of turkeys in Georgia but the population seemed stable and not growing. Now, over the last 8 or so  years, the population has fell off a cliff.

I haven't killed near the numbers as a lot of guys on here, but I have a lot of beards and spurs around the house and for some reason, in my freezer. I put the legs in the freezer before I trim them and clean them up and then I never seem to get around to finishing the work. I wish that I had put on paper some of the hunts that I've had whether I killed one or not.