OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Did you keep a count of Long Beards taken?

Started by ShootingABN!, February 20, 2024, 09:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kygobblergetter

Quote from: eggshell on March 17, 2024, 02:37:19 PM
A lot of interesting comments in this thread. It seems most don't keep a hard count, but have some idea of a range (like between 1-5). Most of us have kept journals or photo albums and cherish the memories. I know I will open up the photo album and reminisce. Numbers are kind of arbitrary as they are more related to opportunity then skill. I know there are many on here just being humble and have an idea of the range of numbers they have killed. A lot of us take pride in the years we have put in. It might be interesting to Post some data points. I don't wnat this to be whoe's got the biggest tool thing so kill numbers are optional, If you post numbers you can either post Opt out or <50 or >50. I think that's a fair benchmark. I know many on here are well over 100 or even 200, but in the realm of friendly discussion maybe it's just best to keep it at a lower benchmark. 

Years turkey hunting and first year  1971 =53yrs
NUmber of states hunted   total               9
Average number states annually              2
range of kills                                       >50

I think it will show there's a lot of "Old Gobblers on hear and thus a lot of wisdom. It will also bring things into perspective, that opportunity is paramount.
I like this.

First year hunted 2004

Number of states hunted 17

States hunted annually varies. Lately roughly 5. I couldn't drive for the first several years of my hunting career.

Total taken >50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wigsplitter

I like this information as well
First year hunted 1993 - 30plus years
Total states hunted 7
Yearly states hunted 3
Number of gobblers killed > 50

ScottTaulbee

I like this too.
First year hunted - 2000
Total states hunted -1
Number of gobblers killed -  >50

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1iagobblergetter

I think i started hunting them in 1999..I hunt spring and fall and never did get into keeping count....Its quite a few tho over the years and The Good Lord Willing i hope to kill quite a few more or at least get out and enjoy Gods creation trying...
Nothing like the song birds singing and Gobblers sounding off in all directions...Thats my kind of Heaven....I learned along time ago its not always about the kill.....

Happy

23 years hunting where there actually were turkeys.
Average .25 kills a year
Total kills <10

Good-looking and Platinum level member of the Elitist club

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

longbow2240

I lost count after 10. Ran out of fingers. That was thirty years ago I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old Swamper

Been my experience over the years, that most who are quick to tell you high numbers, more often than not , have more money than turkey hunting skill. Outfitters or "softball" turkeys in far away states account for most of their bragging.

GobbleNut

I hate to have to admit it but I have probably been turkey hunting twice as long as many here on OG have been alive.   ;D
I think I was either twelve or thirteen when New Mexico had its initial spring gobbler season, which would place the year somewhere around 1963 or '64.  Relying on my dad to take me the first few years (and I'm extremely lucky to have had a dad that did), I am pretty certain we missed a year or two in the 1960's, but I think I have not missed a year spring gobbler hunting since 1969...but might have missed a year due to cancellation of our spring season due to extreme fire danger.

Success was pretty "spotty" that first decade in that I/we did not have a clue (and that is being generous) as to how to go about hunting spring gobblers.  I killed my first gobbler in 1969 in a "drive by incident"...kind of embarrassed to admit that but was pretty proud to get one by any means at the time. 

Early seventies were our actual "learning period", which could best be described as a "cluster" as we made just about every mistake one could make in turkey hunting...and then some.  I killed my first legitimate, called-in gobbler in 1975, and with the exception of a couple of years when my shooting skills were even worse than they are now, I have managed to stumble and bumble my way into a gobbler or two every spring since. 

As to the question of "how many?", I couldn't accurately say.  In an attempt to honestly answer the question, I have done some "gunzintas" based on yearly averages and would guess that I have put a tag on roughly 150 gobblers in all those years...and if I truly was a "body counter" and shot every gobbler I legally could have, that total would be significantly higher.  ...Not a lot compared to some guys half my age in this day of multi-state hunting and the bag limits available (up until recently, that is).   ;D

...That's my main story in a nutshell...and I'm stickin' to it!   ;D :D

reflexl

Sometimes I wish I had then I try to figure out why. I did count pictures of the ones I have pictures of several years ago and came up with a number. As long as I get to chase them each year I am good. As Happy said it is low on my list as well when it comes to what I want to be remembered for.

High plains drifter

23 gobblers, 6 jakes, 10 hens or there about.Around 30 years of hunting.3 states.My biggest was 25 pounds.

Zobo

Quote from: High plains drifter on March 21, 2024, 12:23:22 AM
23 gobblers, 6 jakes, 10 hens or there about.Around 30 years of hunting.3 states.My biggest was 25 pounds.

23 *With Grizzly bears lurking.
Each one counts for 3 , that's 69  gobblers
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

GobbleNut

Quote from: Zobo on March 21, 2024, 07:34:58 AM

:TooFunny:  Yeah,...no doubt that possibility would changes one's attitude while turkey hunting with a shotgun.  I don't know if TSS would be an effective deterrent...    ;D

High plains drifter

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 21, 2024, 09:02:51 AM
Quote from: Zobo  lol exactly. I never
did get that bird. link=topic=116595.msg1179361#msg1179361 date=1711020898

:TooFunny:  Yeah,...no doubt that possibility would changes one's attitude while turkey hunting with a shotgun.  I don't know if TSS would be an effective deterrent...    ;D

Duckdogdad

I journaled each and every hunt at the advice of an old timer who was hunting them after WWII. He told me to recap my hunt in detail, not so I could keep a kill tally, but so I could enjoy my hunts over and over. He was right...I'm 74 and when I read my journal, I smile as the memory takes me back. Sometimes it's as if I'm sitting with my back to a big cottonwood, watching the dance, listening to the feathered jukebox release his thunderous gobble looking for his girl...never gets old. Glad I took his advice.

High plains drifter

All total I've probably gotten 50 birds in 30 years of hunting. 23 gobblers. 3 states.