Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Did you keep a count of Long Beards taken?

Started by ShootingABN!, February 20, 2024, 09:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Yoder409 on February 20, 2024, 09:55:39 PM
Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 20, 2024, 09:52:42 PM
If I never kill another one I can honestly say I have killed my fair share.

You -n- me BOTH, brother !!!!

But I still can't wait for the NEXT one.    :happy0064:

This is definitely one way to look at it...

Or...if you can count 'em, it's definitely not enough.   :funnyturkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

ShootingABN!

Thanks for sharing everyone.  I enjoyed reading the responses.
Hope everyone has a safe and productive season.

mlee3553

Quote from: Happy on February 20, 2024, 09:38:15 PM
I don't. It isn't going to change who I am, and quite frankly, the amount of turkeys I kill is pretty low on my list of things I would like to be remembered by. I know I love hunting them and am thankful for every moment I get in the spring, behind the gun, or helping someone else.

Amen Brother!
In wildness is preservation of the world so seek the wolf in thyself

quavers59

I hope to add 3 to 4 more between New York + New Jersey.  Still a Looong wait to go.

Kylongspur88

I can't tell you off the top of my head exactly how many I've killed but I can sure tell you how many I've missed and that's 7. In fact I think those hunts are more memorable than the ones where I end up packing a bird out.

Tom007

Quote from: Kylongspur88 on March 14, 2024, 12:26:30 PM
I can't tell you off the top of my head exactly how many I've killed but I can sure tell you how many I've missed and that's 7. In fact I think those hunts are more memorable than the ones where I end up packing a bird out.

A good honest hunter always admit to misses. Amen my friend, I share your sentiment and remember those very clearly.....helped make me a better hunter.......
"Solo hunter"

mlee3553

I've been at this for close to 30 years now, I've never kept track, it's a handful, it sure has been fun, god willing I'll be doing it for a long time.
In wildness is preservation of the world so seek the wolf in thyself

vt35mag

I started to put tick marks on the receivers about 10 or 12 years ago

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

joey46

Yes - reviewing 40 years of pictures, beards, metal tags, etc  think 113 in multiple states. A few fall hens taken prior to Thanksgiving maybe omitted. A long and enjoyable ride.
Btw - that's really a wild guess but was fun to think about.

ShootingABN!

I regret not keeping a journal. I have so many fond memories.

Really excited about taking my Son that just turned 12. I'll keep y'all posted.

TallCrow

A poor memory makes me sometimes wish I had kept notes or a journal but each time I tried to it felt forced and a bit like work.  Those feeling are counter to why I enjoy hunting...

High plains drifter

23 full out gobblers, in 30 years of hunting.Longest beard was 10 inches.Biggest bird was around 25 pounds.Several over 20 pounds.

High plains drifter

In 30 years of hunting, I've never missed one on the ground. I did miss one flying at 70 yards through the trees.That was my only miss.Im really good with a shotgun.I think the shot is the easiest part of turkey hunting.

eggshell

A lot of interesting comments in this thread. It seems most don't keep a hard count, but have some idea of a range (like between 1-5). Most of us have kept journals or photo albums and cherish the memories. I know I will open up the photo album and reminisce. Numbers are kind of arbitrary as they are more related to opportunity then skill. I know there are many on here just being humble and have an idea of the range of numbers they have killed. A lot of us take pride in the years we have put in. It might be interesting to Post some data points. I don't wnat this to be whoe's got the biggest tool thing so kill numbers are optional, If you post numbers you can either post Opt out or <50 or >50. I think that's a fair benchmark. I know many on here are well over 100 or even 200, but in the realm of friendly discussion maybe it's just best to keep it at a lower benchmark. 

Years turkey hunting and first year  1971 =53yrs
NUmber of states hunted   total               9
Average number states annually              2
range of kills                                       >50

I think it will show there's a lot of "Old Gobblers on hear and thus a lot of wisdom. It will also bring things into perspective, that opportunity is paramount.

Dougas

Quote from: eggshell on March 17, 2024, 02:37:19 PM
A lot of interesting comments in this thread. It seems most don't keep a hard count, but have some idea of a range (like between 1-5). Most of us have kept journals or photo albums and cherish the memories. I know I will open up the photo album and reminisce. Numbers are kind of arbitrary as they are more related to opportunity then skill. I know there are many on here just being humble and have an idea of the range of numbers they have killed. A lot of us take pride in the years we have put in. It might be interesting to Post some data points. I don't wnat this to be whoe's got the biggest tool thing so kill numbers are optional, If you post numbers you can either post Opt out or <50 or >50. I think that's a fair benchmark. I know many on here are well over 100 or even 200, but in the realm of friendly discussion maybe it's just best to keep it at a lower benchmark. 

Years turkey hunting and first year  1971 =53yrs
NUmber of states hunted   total               9
Average number states annually              2
range of kills                                       >50

12 years; 2012 to now

I think it will show there's a lot of "Old Gobblers on hear and thus a lot of wisdom. It will also bring things into perspective, that opportunity is paramount.