turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

New Vest Recomendation

Started by Dhamilton1, February 18, 2024, 03:08:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dhamilton1

Currently using a R&G 200. Like the vest for simplicity and weight however, I don't feel that it has enough room. Not that I want to lug more stuff through the woods but wanting to find something with more room. I'm not a particular big man, 5' 7" / 160 lbs (new dad weight) slender build, so looking for something that isn't huge on me. Any Recomendation would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

I like the Sitka. It is not too big, holds a good amount without being bulky and is lightweight. Highly adjustable, great seat, great pot and box call pockets. Worth looking at for sure. Good luck....
"Solo hunter"

CALLM2U

The Last Strutt from Final Approach is certainly an interesting design-particularly the seat. 

The new Alps Impact pro is a good design as well as long as you don't need pot call pockets. Otherwise, I think the Grand Slam is the way to go. (just toss out the frame)

hawgsalot

Man to me the Nomad is the ultimate vest.  I love that it has the chair style seat built in but also has the big pad.  I was in need last year.

slave601

Quote from: CALLM2U on February 18, 2024, 03:30:09 PM
The Last Strutt from Final Approach is certainly an interesting design-particularly the seat. 

The new Alps Impact pro is a good design as well as long as you don't need pot call pockets. Otherwise, I think the Grand Slam is the way to go. (just toss out the frame)
That's what I done with my grand slam.
"thinnin the flock"

mullet dredge

I am very similar in stature and have been griping about the OSFM vests for years. I've bought and sold/traded most every commercially available vest offering out these days and they all swallow me. I'm still hunting in a 20 some year old Cabelas Tactical Tater in Sm/Med size....before Bass Pro bought out Cabelas and ruined that vest. I do have a solid color Sitka vest on deck for this season and I have very high hopes for it.

So, what I'm saying in a round about way is, a turkey vest for us small fellers is a unicorn!

Tom007

Quote from: mullet dredge on February 18, 2024, 07:13:37 PM
I am very similar in stature and have been griping about the OSFM vests for years. I've bought and sold/traded most every commercially available vest offering out these days and they all swallow me. I'm still hunting in a 20 some year old Cabelas Tactical Tater in Sm/Med size....before Bass Pro bought out Cabelas and ruined that vest. I do have a solid color Sitka vest on deck for this season and I have very high hopes for it.

So, what I'm saying in a round about way is, a turkey vest for us small fellers is a unicorn!

You'll like the Sitka. The ease and level of adjustability is the best I've seen yet...
"Solo hunter"

Howie g

I got a fox vest that will fit perfectly,, only $4,356????

vt35mag

The seat on the final approach looks slick.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ruination

Quote from: Tom007 on February 18, 2024, 03:20:29 PM
I like the Sitka. It is not too big, holds a good amount without being bulky and is lightweight. Highly adjustable, great seat, great pot and box call pockets. Worth looking at for sure. Good luck....

I feel that, with the exception of the back pack, the Sitka actually holds less.

Actually I know that for a fact as I went from a RNG to a Sitka and had to drop a few toys.
.410 Favors the Bold

5arraquiver

Great info!  Would the sitka vest work well for someone that doesn't carry a box call?
Questions? Answer: Jesus

RLAG

I'm 5'8 165 so basically the same as you and I'm pretty happy with the m2. I added a box call pouch from Glenda Green on the molle web belt since the box call attachment they give you sucks. I run 2 pots, 3 strikers and a box on my left side. Right side is gloves/mask, shells, owl, crow, diaphragms and a few other gadgets on the right pocket. All the other stuff you want to carry but don't need mid hunt to in the bookbag just like on the rng

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

gaswamp

Tom007

Quote from: 5arraquiver on February 18, 2024, 10:58:09 PM
Great info!  Would the sitka vest work well for someone that doesn't carry a box call?

Sure, I put a large push-pin in the box call pocket. You could put a trough call, scratch box, etc in it too. I think it would also hold a thermacell, but I never tried that....
"Solo hunter"

Tom007

Quote from: ruination on February 18, 2024, 08:43:12 PM
Quote from: Tom007 on February 18, 2024, 03:20:29 PM

I feel that, with the exception of the back pack, the Sitka actually holds less.

Actually I know that for a fact as I went from a RNG to a Sitka and had to drop a few toys.

Yea, vests are very personal, catered to one's particular hunting style. I set up my Sitka as follows: license, Turkey tote, lens wipes, napkins, flashlight, pen go in zippered back pack. I put a turkey wing in the bag. There is a solid, well protected 2 call pot  pocket, I carry a push-pin in the box call pocket, shells, diaphragms in small magnetic pocket, headnet  and gloves in mesh zippered inside pockets. The vest is lightweight empty, so this gear doesn't make the whole package heavy. Works for my Run&Gun set-up perfectly....
"Solo hunter"