OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

catfish bait?

Started by honker22, July 11, 2011, 01:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

honker22

I'm not a novice when it comes to catfishing but what is your preferred bait?  Typically, I like to tightline with a bell sinker and 1 or 2 hooks.

I have some land in East Tx and a small river is our border.  It has a good many channel and blue cats.  I've caught them on night crawlers but they seem to like chicken livers much more.  But those dang things are so hard to bait up, without falling off or melting in your hands.  Each time I use them, I think there's GOT to be a better way.  Cut bait didn't produce much for me either.  Any ideas are appreciated.
-Thanks!
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

stone road turkey calls

put the chicken livers in a peice of panty hose or cheese cloth tie it closed hook it your good to go.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

honker22

...Why didn't I think of that.  Thanks!
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

TurkeyScratch

When using livers, I prefer using rooster livers over chicken livers. They seem tougher to me and stay better on the hook. I use different types of bait, sometimes  I'll stop and buy a tub of shrimp (3.50-4.00 bucks) at the grocery store. I cut each shrimp up into 3 pieces and fish for a good while.  I wore the blues out on shrimp one morning.

barry

Groundhog liver works great.
I'm betting turkey liver would too

redarrow

Sausage. Either kielbasa or any cheap smoked sausage. Works great on trot lines and jugs.

vaturkey

Live Perch !  :icon_thumright:

:newmascot:
Vaturkey

CASH

Cutbait Shad if I feel like catching them.  If not big minners.
A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands, love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper; his hands remember the rifle.

sugarray

Quote from: stone road turkey calls on July 11, 2011, 02:09:50 PM
put the chicken livers in a peice of panty hose or cheese cloth tie it closed hook it your good to go.

absolutely!!!  makes it much easier.

Also, I have heard gold fish, live work very well.

Crappiepro

Quote from: stone road turkey calls on July 11, 2011, 02:09:50 PM
Yeah, Thats how we do it. Cast that stuff a country mile LOL no worries. We also do well on cut bluegills and the heads too.

FANMAN

I also hated the hassle of chicken liver,but loved the results...I started laying them on a garbage bag with a fan blowing on them out in my shed...They dry and turn leathery in about 24 hours...much easier to fish with after that.

harvester

A friend of mine told me about deer meat. I use the stew meat and it works dang good if it still has the blood in it. You have to re-bait it ever so often, especially after the blood is gone out of it. By the way, you CAN NOT sling it off.

savduck

I like using Shrimp that has been sitting out in the sun for two days.
Georgia Boy

Gobble!

Chicken liver that has been in the sun for 2 days

HARDCORE

Catdaddy has the answer.................. ;)

HC