News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Stevens 301 shell holder.

Started by Number17, February 07, 2024, 08:25:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Number17

https://youtube.com/shorts/W2gcrb_fDh8?si=v9QsXmpqyhC-lzVQ

Hot glued a piece of 1/2" PEX to the picatinny rail as a backup shell holder for my .410 single shot.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

roberthyman14

Quote from: Number17 on February 07, 2024, 08:25:41 PM
https://youtube.com/shorts/W2gcrb_fDh8?si=v9QsXmpqyhC-lzVQ

Hot glued a piece of 1/2" PEX to the picatinny rail as a backup shell holder for my .410 single shot.
Someone on here 3d printed 1 and was selling them

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

joey46

I just use an elastic butt stock shell holder.  The one made for a 30.06 rifle seems to work great for .410. 

Number17

Two reasons I don't like them:
I shoot ambidextrously depending on which way I need to set up, so I don't want shells in my cheek when shooting.
Also, I like the stock to be smooth and free of things that can catch on my clothing when trying to shoulder a gun in an awkward position or when switching from right to left hand to make a shot.
I guess a third reason is I do alot of crawling around on the ground and through heavy cover. I never trusted any kind of elastic shell holder, especially with high priced ammo.

The way this one sits you have to break the action to get the shell out because if it backs out on its own somehow, the brass catches on the metal lip of the gun and cannot fall out.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Greg Massey

I have the elastic shell holder on my stock and it has a flap that goes over the 5 shells and it will not hang up on your clothes nor will you lose shells from it ... I really like this type of shell holder .. Have it on both of my Stevens 410 / 20 ga...   Which I wish I had never bought, don't really care for either of these guns ...

Hook hanger

I had my ol lady make a neoprene 2 shell holder that slipped over the front stock right where my front hand is on the gun

guesswho

I just Kill'em with the first shot.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Kytomgetter

g8rvet

Quote from: guesswho on February 08, 2024, 02:24:37 PM

LOL  I was thinking, "I don't understand what you need extra shells for".  Leave 'em in your pocket. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

btodd00

I picked up one of these just in case I have to shoot my way out... haven't lost a shell yet, 410 fit pretty snug

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

GobbleNut

;D I was about to ask the question..."Who has to take a second shot?...And if you do, where are you hunting that the gobbler will hang around long enough to let you reload and do it?" ...I want to start hunting there...   ;D :D

Hook hanger

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 09, 2024, 10:15:29 AM

;D I was about to ask the question..."Who has to take a second shot?...And if you do, where are you hunting that the gobbler will hang around long enough to let you reload and do it?" ...I want to start hunting there...   ;D :D

I see this happen when using the 410 quite a bit! Something about it doesn't spook them as much as say a 12ga. Seen this in multiple states that allowed multiple birds shot on same day.

Number17

I figured the "who needs a 2nd shot" comments would come out.
Both times I've hunted with my son at 7 and 8 years old he has killed a longbeard. Both times after the shot a 2nd bird could have been killed if it wasn't youth season or I still had a tag. Last year I had 20 minutes of video from two toms strutting around and flogging their long spurred buddy who just got hammered.
When I hunt with him we can only carry one gun by law. Wouldn't it be nice if one of these years we get a chance to do a father/son double? Wouldn't it be nice to have a 2nd shell ready to go without digging in you pockets for it? Pass the gun, pop the shell in, and shoot a 2nd bird.
I swear some guys can't think outside their own small world. I suppose you fellas all hunt with single shots and take one shell with you right? Or do you hunt with pumps and auto loaders? One shell in them too right? Sure.
#Gun
#Shells
#couple calls

Zobo

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14