OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Would You Scout Public Land On The Youth Turkey Hunting Day ?

Started by quavers59, February 06, 2024, 10:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belo83

Bill's so interested in this topic he posted it on 3 different boards  :newmascot:

GobbleNut

Another factor that hasn't been mentioned is the presence of other public land users.  Turkey scouters during the youth season here are a drop in the bucket compared to other folks doing their thing out in our woods.  Shed hunters, in particular, start in early March here and are combing the woods through mid-April or later.  In addition, campers, sight-seers, and other public lands users are a constant presence. 

Turkey hunters are generally at least aware of the youth season going on, and one would hope that they would avoid interfering with youth hunters.  Other public land users here?  Suffice it to say most of them don't give a rat's patootie if they are possibly ruining somebody's turkey hunt...and most haven't got a clue that there is even a hunt going on.  To not go scouting around here because of a concern that you will somehow ruin a youth hunt is, quite frankly, ludicrous. 

Sure, turkey scouters should be aware of, and respect, youth (or adult) hunters and not do things that interfere with their hunts.  Around here, to think that turkey scouters are a problem for youth hunters is a major leap of logic...unless those scouters are intentionally looking to stop other folks from killing "their" turkeys before they get to hunt them, which is an entirely different issue (and is a very real concern, I suspect, in some places)

Again, if concentrations of youth hunters are such that you cannot possibly scout without interfering with someone's hunt, then absolutely stay away and find another time to scout.  Painting the entire country with that "stay out of the woods during youth season" brush is an unfounded concern in many places, however.  Know the circumstances that exist where you specifically hunt,...and act accordingly.  It's as simple as that. 

quavers59

Public Lands are much more Crowded these last 10 years with Pre Season Turkey Scouters and guys setting up Trail Cameras everywhere where,I hunt in New York.I Turkey Hunt in New Jersey also. The Same.
   I can only hope that no one on purpose Scouts a Big Field or Fields on the Youth Turkey Hunting day because he wants to make sure that Awesome Gobbler he has been glassing is not killed by little Bobby.

Bowguy

The premise of that scenario to me is flawed. No one should interfere for sure. Be considerate but who wants some moron walking through the turkey woods unnecessarily looking for tracks, scratch or droppings, adult or youth season anyway, when simple long distance or audible long range scouting should be the norm.
If an adult wants to drive around way out yonder and listen from the roads why should anyone frown on that? The guy mighta been sick, at work, dealing with an ill or deceased family member, deployed, moving, etc etc and his only time to scout is that weekend. He shouldn't look or listen around from afar? Not a well thought out question. I say this being one who takes many many kids.
The question could be posed should you interfere or be selfish. Answer is no but what about a guy just starting. A young man or lady for instance. They might not have kids and though they aren't thinking considerately just don't realize youth weekend is a thing. They also read every book that said look for tracks, scratch, droppings. Boots on the ground is the saying. I've been at this since youth seasons in my area existed and don't think this is a problem unless you like broadcasting where you hunt, hike all the time for years. Any reason you think it's so crowded where you hunt? Like NYc wondering why they're so crowded with illegals after they invite em there. Just a thought. Might want to stop inviting everyone to your woods with updates bout what you saw. You might have less company

Sir-diealot

Only if it were the absolute only time I had to go in there, otherwise no. I would not be and am not/was not one of those people that use a call to scout, I was always taught that will only educate the bird making it harder to get during the season.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

quavers59

Bowguy,I disagree with some of your points.  Nothing new as you and,I have differed on opinions on 2 other sites.
    Long range Scouting by Glassing only- even this early- I don't  think so.

Bowguy

Quote from: quavers59 on February 08, 2024, 07:39:47 AM
  Bowguy,I disagree with some of your points.  Nothing new as you and,I have differed on opinions on 2 other sites.
    Long range Scouting by Glassing only- even this early- I don't  think so.
Of course you do. Might want to reconsider your ideas perhaps?. Might help the outcomes and lead to less crowded areas. Walking through the woods right where they are and that goes for any game buggers em up. To the new guys best If you know the area to be least as obtrusive as possible. No reason to be in there w em

GobbleNut

This continuing discussion raises some questions in my (admittedly feeble...   ;D ) mind...
I already made the point about other turkey-woods users being out there in our turkey seasons.  The comments about turkey scouters interfering with youth turkey hunters make me wonder...Does that part of the country back east not have other public land users?  Are turkey hunters the only ones allowed in your public areas during turkey season?  Or has the east become so urbanized that non-hunting folks just don't go out in the woods? 

...I was under the impression that outdoor recreation, in all its forms, was a pretty big deal in all parts of the country nowadays.

I know from my own experience that turkeys can get to be pretty smart, but I have a hard time accepting that a turkey somehow has the mental acuity to know the difference between a bird watcher, a hiker, a mushroom hunter, a shed hunter, a fisherman, or any number of other folks that might decide to hit the woods during youth season...or any other season, for that matter.  I would assume that those folks exist back east...and that they are using the same woods as turkey hunters.  So, unless a turkey scouter is in the woods calling (which we have already stated is a really bad idea), his impact is no more or less than any other woods user that might be wandering around out there during the youth turkey season. ...And, in fact, the turkey scouter has probably less impact than those other users because he is aware of the youth hunters while the other public-land users most likely are not...and who might just wander towards turkey calling or gobbling they hear in the woods.

So, if my assumption is correct and there is the distinct possibility that there are other folks wandering your woods during hunting seasons, how are you justifying telling turkey scouters not to do the same thing other non-hunting folks are most likely doing?  The impact of scouting "properly" for turkeys is pretty much the same as these other public-land users...assuming they are out there.

I think the original point might have been clarified to state that adult hunters who go into the woods during the youth hunt to intentionally interfere or disrupt youth hunters are A-holes.  That, I will agree with, but unless you live in a situation where there is nobody else wandering your public areas, I think the logic of stating that (careful) scouting during somebody else's hunting season is a "Hard No" is a stretch. 

Happy

Personally, I scout before youth day. And 90% of my scouting is done from a safe distance.On youth day, I am usually busy helping a youth. Blundering through the woods and scaring turkeys right before season doesn't make much sense to me.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

quavers59

Bowguy- here we go again.. It all goes back to Huntingny + njwoodsandwaters where many have disagreed with you. Your responses  here to me are purely  personal in the Negative  way. Hopefully  we will both have good Success in Late April in Sussex County,NJ.

Hook hanger

I wouldn't scout knowing a youth hunter is in there hunting. More likely than not i would have a youth with me trying to kill a bird.

Kylongspur88

Absolutely I would. I just wouldn't scout in areas where kids were hunting.

WV Flopper

Gobblenut: Depending on the weather forecast the woods can be full of people doing exactly what you described in the Eastern US. In WV and VA I have personally seen.

It can be amazing the amount of people in the woods, especially if the mushrooms are ready.

runngun

I was taught that you DO NOT mess up any hunter. Why would any TURKEY HUNTER take a chance on messing up a child? Why would any real man TAKE A CHANCE that could even remotely mess up a child's time in the woods. THIS SHOULD NOT EVEN HAVE TO BE DISCUSSED.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

slicksbeagles1

Gobblenut you left out one thing all the other users that you mentioned are not even up that early in the morning.