Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Would You Scout Public Land On The Youth Turkey Hunting Day ?

Started by quavers59, February 06, 2024, 10:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcoach

Quote from: Paulmyr on February 06, 2024, 12:29:59 PM
So what you guys are saying is the most important time to be out scouting(1 to 2 weekend's before the season) is off limits because there might be a youth hunting somewhere?
ABSOLUTELY!!!!  BE CONSIDERATE!!  Eat a little Crow and make time to SCOUT when the youngsters and FUTURE HUNTERS are in school.  I think we call this Sportsmanship and we could All get better at it.

g8rvet

Frequently have done this when kids were too old and now grands not old enough yet.  I was scouting , which consisted of getting there fairly late and just listening from a main road with no calling or locators.   Was parked on the side of the road listening to one gobble and had a father and son drive past.  I flagged them down and told them to shut off engine.  They did and when that bird gobbled the young man's eyes went wide open!   I looked at his dad and said "Go get em".  He thanked me a dozen times as they were getting ready.  I sat for a minute and then drove on to another spot to listen.  Did not know them and do not know if they got him or not.

Nothing at all wrong with listening and moving on, especially later in the morning. Don't block anyone in or get there too early.   In my family the whole season is youth weekend anyways, so just not that big of a deal. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Paulmyr

Quote from: bbcoach on February 06, 2024, 01:13:45 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on February 06, 2024, 12:29:59 PM
So what you guys are saying is the most important time to be out scouting(1 to 2 weekend's before the season) is off limits because there might be a youth hunting somewhere?
ABSOLUTELY!!!!  BE CONSIDERATE!!  Eat a little Crow and make time to SCOUT when the youngsters and FUTURE HUNTERS are in school.  I think we call this Sportsmanship and we could All get better at it.

I'll just go to my boss and say. Hey bossman! I need some time off because I can't go scouting during my days off because it's youth weekend. C,mon man I get it. the kids have thier special weekend and thats great. Some of you are taking thing a little overboard. It's not enough they have special privileges for that weekend, but now I'm supposed to take off work and stay away from the woods because there might be a slight chance I may interrupt a kids hunt? For real? For this I'm being labeled as unsportsmanlike? Being called inconsiderate? Told to eat crow?

Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jhoward11

PharmHunter

Quote from: quavers59 on February 06, 2024, 10:42:17 AM
   Would you as an Adult Turkey Hunter be out Scouting on Public Land in your State on the Youth Turkey Hunting Day or Weekend?
     I say No. Let little Bobby have his chance at a big Gobbler when Grandpa calls one in.
    Thoughts--

Absolutely not!

Vintage

No absolutely not. You can scout the day before or the day after the youth season.

GobbleNut

Quite honestly, my first thought about this question was wondering how many people hunt in places and under conditions where this concern would even arise. The idea that the youth hunting season would be crowded enough and under conditions where someone could not scout without the possibility of interfering with a youth hunter is a completely foreign concept to me. My condolences to you folks that find yourselves in that position. 

Having stated that up-front, I suppose a lot of the decision to scout during a time period, youth hunt or not, depends on the specific circumstances associated with the area you are planning on scouting.  For me, it is strictly a function of whether you can scout without the possibility of interfering with someone else's hunting, period.  I generally hunt large areas of public land on which one can readily "scout" without interfering with anyone that might be there hunting.  Simply stated, experienced and conscientious turkey hunters are, or should be, well aware of whether what they are doing is potentially interfering with someone else.

Generally speaking, if you are going to scout, give a wide berth to anybody, kid or adult, that might be hunting the area.  Are there places where doing that is impossible due to the area size, concentration of hunters, or other factors that might make it unfeasible?  If so, don't do it...but in my opinion, that situation should be pretty obvious...and I would think, pretty rare.   

Around here, scouting during the youth season without the possibility of interfering is easily accomplished...and can provide valuable information about what areas are being hunted...and what areas are not...and which could provide valuable information as to those places that might be more conducive to your own success later.   

And as others have pointed out, scouting techniques and methods should always be as unobtrusive as possible, while still accomplishing the desired goals. If you are doing something that is causing problems for other hunters while scouting, you are probably doing something that is going to negatively impact your own chances later.

Greg Massey

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 06, 2024, 03:22:22 PM
Quite honestly, my first thought about this question was wondering how many people hunt in places and under conditions where this concern would even arise. The idea that the youth hunting season would be crowded enough and under conditions where someone could not scout without the possibility of interfering with a youth hunter is a completely foreign concept to me. My condolences to you folks that find yourselves in that position. 

Having stated that up-front, I suppose a lot of the decision to scout during a time period, youth hunt or not, depends on the specific circumstances associated with the area you are planning on scouting.  For me, it is strictly a function of whether you can scout without the possibility of interfering with someone else's hunting, period.  I generally hunt large areas of public land on which one can readily "scout" without interfering with anyone that might be there hunting.  Simply stated, experienced and conscientious turkey hunters are, or should be, well aware of whether what they are doing is potentially interfering with someone else.

Generally speaking, if you are going to scout, give a wide berth to anybody, kid or adult, that might be hunting the area.  Are there places where doing that is impossible due to the area size, concentration of hunters, or other factors that might make it unfeasible?  If so, don't do it...but in my opinion, that situation should be pretty obvious...and I would think, pretty rare.   

Around here, scouting during the youth season without the possibility of interfering is easily accomplished...and can provide valuable information about what areas are being hunted...and what areas are not...and which could provide valuable information as to those places that might be more conducive to your own success later.   

And as others have pointed out, scouting techniques and methods should always be as unobtrusive as possible, while still accomplishing the desired goals. If you are doing something that is causing problems for other hunters while scouting, you are probably doing something that is going to negatively impact your own chances later.
X2 .... AMEN ... GREAT POST ....

guesswho

I do every year.   But my number one priority is to do everything in my power to first make sure my youth hunter stays safe and has a good time, and second, do everything I can to put a gobbler in front of them.   But my eyes and ears are always open for intel that may pay dividends later on.   

But if I didn't have a youth with me, then no.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

slicksbeagles1

The answer is no and stay away! Let them have their time You will have enough time to scout or should have already before this weekend.

Gman

Quote from: g8rvet on February 06, 2024, 02:22:14 PM
Frequently have done this when kids were too old and now grands not old enough yet.  I was scouting , which consisted of getting there fairly late and just listening from a main road with no calling or locators.   Was parked on the side of the road listening to one gobble and had a father and son drive past.  I flagged them down and told them to shut off engine.  They did and when that bird gobbled the young man's eyes went wide open!   I looked at his dad and said "Go get em".  He thanked me a dozen times as they were getting ready.  I sat for a minute and then drove on to another spot to listen.  Did not know them and do not know if they got him or not.

Nothing at all wrong with listening and moving on, especially later in the morning. Don't block anyone in or get there too early.   In my family the whole season is youth weekend anyways, so just not that big of a deal.

Even tho' I won't be out scouting the weekend of PA's youth hunt, this was a very nice thing that you did for the father & son!

Tom007

No way, no how. I make darn sure my scouting is done by youth day for that reason. The youths deserve a clean shot at their quarry. God bless them, be safe and successful!
"Solo hunter"

roberthyman14

I'm gonna scout.  But my scouting is done strictly with my ears, feet and binos.   I do not use any calls.   Park and do a lot of walking just looking for tracks and dusting areas.  Our woods are so chopped up by roads you can maneuver around without interference. If a truck is parked anywhere I will pass on that spot n go somewhere else. 

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

ElkTurkMan