OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Would You Scout Public Land On The Youth Turkey Hunting Day ?

Started by quavers59, February 06, 2024, 10:42:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

quavers59

Would you as an Adult Turkey Hunter be out Scouting on Public Land in your State on the Youth Turkey Hunting Day or Weekend?
     I say No. Let little Bobby have his chance at a big Gobbler when Grandpa calls one in.
    Thoughts--

Muzzy61

That's a no for me. I wouldn't want to interfere in a youths chance at a turkey. We have a week after youth weekend to scout before the general season opens up.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Greg Massey

From the main roads yes, but not in the trails and woods where the youth would be hunting...  Driving along the main public roads and listening in my opinion is no different than the mailman delivering the mail.... Just be respectful of others ....  Driving around could also give you some ideas of the most pressured areas.

Swamp_870

Heck no! If someone takes a youth to hunt public land for youth season they deserve the best chance they can get. Not sure what the laws are on this, but interfering with a kid trying to legally kill a turkey on public should be grounds for a ticket.

soILstrutter

I think you could scout with your ears from a place that is not likely to mess up any hunt. Parking lots, roads, trail heads. You might even get to hear a boom or two to let you know which areas to not focus on where you believed there had been birds previously.

Paulmyr

I'm not sure how other people scout but if your worried about messing up a youth hunt your doing it wrong.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Upfold99

Quote from: Paulmyr on February 06, 2024, 11:23:56 AM
I'm not sure how other people scout but if your worried about messing up a youth hunt your doing it wrong.
X2

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Swamp_870

This isn't directed to any of the above posts...just offering my opinion for the ones reading threads.

Let's say you park at a gate before gobbling time with intentions to listen from the road or walk in to listen. No calling or anything intended. Then here comes a father/son, mentor/youth, grandpa/youth that's been anticipating youth weekend for months. They see someone parked at the spot they were planning on going to and in good sportsmanship they go to their plan b spot because someone else was already there. Did the little boy or girl's odds of killing a turkey go up or down?

I've hunted public for turkeys exclusively for the last 13 years and my most rewarding hunt was watching a 6 year old shoot his first gobbler on public land during youth season. There's honestly nothing more rewarding in turkey hunting than witnessing that kind of excitement.

When I first started hunting public I was selfish and would've scouted whenever I could. I would park at a gate to keep people out of there if needed. Point is I get it...but let these kids have their fun. A dead turkey is a memory that will last a lifetime for that little boy or girl and the adult that made it happen.

That being said, anyone have any yoots that need some guidance during youth season?  ;D

joey46

Paulmyr

Quote from: Swamp_870 on February 06, 2024, 11:53:16 AM
This isn't directed to any of the above posts...just offering my opinion for the ones reading threads.

Let's say you park at a gate before gobbling time with intentions to listen from the road or walk in to listen. No calling or anything intended. Then here comes a father/son, mentor/youth, grandpa/youth that's been anticipating youth weekend for months. They see someone parked at the spot they were planning on going to and in good sportsmanship they go to their plan b spot because someone else was already there. Did the little boy or girl's odds of killing a turkey go up or down?

I've hunted public for turkeys exclusively for the last 13 years and my most rewarding hunt was watching a 6 year old shoot his first gobbler on public land during youth season. There's honestly nothing more rewarding in turkey hunting than witnessing that kind of excitement.

When I first started hunting public I was selfish and would've scouted whenever I could. I would park at a gate to keep people out of there if needed. Point is I get it...but let these kids have their fun. A dead turkey is a memory that will last a lifetime for that little boy or girl and the adult that made it happen.

That being said, anyone have any yoots that need some guidance during youth season?  ;D

Using your example, if the area in question is so small that gramps,pops, and the boy feel they need to move along to different spot I don't need to be there before gobble time. I just need 15 -20 mins before sunrise to listen from the road or parking area before I move along.

If the youth gang plans on hunting that area they should be in there ready to go well in advance of when I show up.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

bbcoach

NOPE!!!!!  I definitely don't want to ruin someone's hunt.  I wouldn't want it done to my son or daughter or someone I had out hunting so......

Paulmyr

So what you guys are saying is the most important time to be out scouting(1 to 2 weekend's before the season) is off limits because there might be a youth hunting somewhere?

troutfisher13111

All of the youth seasons I know of are a weekend. So what they are saying is for a couple days try to be respectful of the kids out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kytrkyhntr

I think everyone should let the kids have it. No need to be out there possibly messing with a kids hunt.

Best answer? Find a kid who wants to go and doesn't have the chance and take them yourself.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

zelmo1

I guess I am the jerk here. Answer here is to take a kid hunting and get your info by helping a kid out. If you are not mentoring a kid, stay on the main road. Just my  :z-twocents: Z