turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Am I the only one ??

Started by Yoder409, February 04, 2024, 08:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Reckon I'll just keep smoking longbeards and NOT put them on YouTube.    :smiley-char092:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

runngun

Yes indeed!!! I have been smoking a cigar after a successful turkey hunt for dang near 45 years maybe a little longer. Every once in a while I can be just sitting in the woods and I will fire one up, just because. But you can guarantee that it ain't because I seent no YouTube super star doing it.
Have a good one and May God bless y'all, Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

bbcoach

Yoder, here's my 2 cents.  This time of year, deer season is closed and it's cold outside so I can't get outside as much as I would like.  The itch is there to be in the woods, so I tend to watch a few videos to satisfy that itch, while I'm practicing my calling.  I watch the Drury's, Shane Simpson and Dave Owens to name a few.  Why you ask?  I do it for the itch but mostly I do it to learn NEW tactics, techniques and calling methods.  If you will have an open mind and pay close attention to what these videos are sharing you can glean a ton of information from calling tips, to decoy setups and woodsmanship.  Personally, I could care less where they are hunting, I'm trying to learn what they are doing or mistakes they make.  I will take this information and use it when I hunt.  If I find myself in a situation where they made a certain mistake, I do my best to remember that mistake and not make the mistake they made.  I tried Dave's purple ghost in low stretch last spring and figured out a low stretch call was perfect for taking my calling to the next level.  Great info from these guys, if you keep an open mind and apply what they are doing or mistakes they made.  I feel for the guys that have Tons of hunters fighting for and jockeying for a few hundred acres of public land to hunt on.  Very tough hunting IMO.     

joey46

Over the last few months Turkeys For Tomorrow sponsored a fund raising drawing offering several guided hunts.  The Hunting Public (the cigar smokers) was an option for a Rio hunt in Texas. I "donated" $20 to TFT for a shot at this hunt.  Be tickled to get it    Not all are so set in their ways not to see the future.  This forum does set the record for whining however. Get over it.  YouTube is here to stay.

arkrem870

The future is here......Mississippi non resident draws, Alabama delayed season on public and restrictive bag limits to hurt non residents.  Same for Georgia. Same for South Carolina. Tennesse moving same direction. Oklahoma shutting it down. Kansas is a draw. Nebraska is a quota. On and on  We are all adapting and frankly still doing our thing just as we have been for 20+ years prior to the loose lip phenomenon. But that doesn't mean it's ok what has happened. If it doesn't affect you then it's hard to understand or if you haven't been at this game for decades prior. But getting the message out on this issue is important. Because everytime you like. Subscribe. Donate. Support products you are literally cutting your own throat. I've killed and seen enough for many lifetimes. It's my boys that worry about now
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

WV Flopper

LOL. You tube trolls are here now, jumped from one thread to another.

Get over yourself!

g8rvet

We also did the same thing buying name brand camo and name brand calls so those guys can rake in big bucks and afford a massive amount. Of private land to hunt.  Been happening forever.  Just a different game now.  If you had a Fred Bear bow you paid for his trip to Africa.  If you bought Mossy Oak apparel you contributed to the empire. Real tree video?    Duck Commander merch?   Not much new just a different audience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Greg Massey

Quote from: g8rvet on February 04, 2024, 07:41:24 PM
We also did the same thing buying name brand camo and name brand calls so those guys can rake in big bucks and afford a massive amount. Of private land to hunt.  Been happening forever.  Just a different game now.  If you had a Fred Bear bow you paid for his trip to Africa.  If you bought Mossy Oak apparel you contributed to the empire. Real tree video?    Duck Commander merch?   Not much new just a different audience.

I buy a lot of miss matching camo from Goodwill, so I guess i'm donating to the less fortunate ...

g8rvet

Camo can match?    I found some pants and shirts with a nice material that were on mega sale at a buddy of mines shop.  When I showed up at turkey camp wearing them one day my nephew looked me up and down and asked WTH?    Been hunting with him for 30 years.   He said I have never seen you wear an "outfit".   lol.  It was not a complement. 

Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

kytrkyhntr

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 04, 2024, 07:53:45 PM
Quote from: g8rvet on February 04, 2024, 07:41:24 PM

I buy a lot of miss matching camo from Goodwill, so I guess i'm donating to the less fortunate ...

I'm pretty sure you offset that with camping out for the fox vest... hahahahah
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Brillo

As a beginning turkey hunter I appreciate any informative content I can find.  I watch Shane Simpson and Dave Owens for any info I can glean.  I like Dale Outdoors too.  My desire to hunt turkeys came before I discovered utube content or this forum which has been helpful but not more than utube.
I have no opinion about why turkey populations are falling but I would guess against utube being the main driver.  I am guessing that most of the utube watchers are novices like me and no real danger to turkeys or veteran turkey hunters other than getting in the way and being helpful turkey educators.  :newmascot: 

kytrkyhntr

Exactly, YouTube is not the main reason. The reason every post on this forum is about YouTube is jealousy. Everyone of these guys would love to be a traveling turkey hunter fulltime and make their living off of it. If you kill a turkey differently than someone on here you're ridiculed. If you wear certain clothes you're ridiculed. The members of this forum are hilariously soft anymore. Every threads the same on here. You will get better info on YouTube cause someone may actually show it to you, and not just type about it. There's great info everywhere. But it's less and less by the day on this forum. Sad!

Seasons coming up, almost time for a new thread for all the keyboard warriors to drop the 2024 rules I should hunt by if I wanna be considered a real old school bad a$$ turkey pro like everyone on her.

PLEASE HELP!!

Pinhoti ain't perfect, heck a member on here enlightened me and showed me some problems with him and I was able to further research myself to see, I appreciated that.

With that being said let's not forget before Pinhoti was YouTube's hero he was this forums hero and a lot of you all were begging him for posts and updates like white girls waiting on iPhones to drop.

So don't act like yall are too cool for Pinhoti now cause he sells t shirts.

Bout time for a brea, eh
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

joey46

Very true "ky".  This forum has more know it all's than many others.  Seems to have always been that way but is getting worse.  Hunt legal, following the season's bag limits should be good enough.  It is for me.  With the big Nashville mess coming up I'll bet nobody will approach Harold Knight, any of the Primos boys, or Wadell and accuse any of them of ruining the sport with their years of videos. 
I started chasing the big birds in the late 1970s when seasons and draw numbers were very limited and the bag limit was one.  Enjoyed it then and still enjoy it now.  If my turkey hunting "career" ends up with quota hunts and one birds limits so be it.  Shorter seasons and reduced bag limits are coming.  Crying about YouTube is wasted effort.  Good luck to you in KY. 
Add - this forum has many subsections.  It needs to add a "WHINER" subsection.   :popcorn:

idratherb

GobbleNut

A few casual observations I would proffer on matters such as these;
1) It seems every year about this time, we end up with a few threads that fall into a rabbit hole. ...Comes with the territory, I suppose.
2) When it happens, the forum and its members all get painted with the same brush.  We go for months mostly without problems, but as soon as a controversy arises, suddenly the entire site and its members are horrible people, somebody gets their snood in a knot, and condemns the whole bunch.  My suggestion to all..."lighten up Francises". 
3) As for the YouTubers (and others) who have made turkey hunting a job, whether they make a living at it or not,...have at it.  Although hunting in all its forms is a passion for me, I do not want it to become a job.  I had one and am done with that. ...And if I did try to make it a full-time endeavor, a) I am certain I would not enjoy it as much, and b) the other people in my life would most certainly not be happy with it.
4)  Yes, crowded woods and stress on the resource has become a problem.  It is not the result of one person doing his thing.  It is the result of many different factors that have been developing over the last five decades (if somebody needs a list, I sure many of us could provide you with one).  We aren't going back to the "good old days" fellers...and I may be wrong, but I don't think anybody out there is going to take us back just because some of us want to go. 
5) My sincere suggestion is to accept where we are (whether we like it or not), adapt, and learn to deal with it by adjusting your expectations and approach to it all. 
6) And finally, untie that knot in your snood...and learn to come here with a smile on your face and a good attitude...   :D :icon_thumright: