News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pinhoti calls

Started by slave601, February 02, 2024, 06:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

Quote from: runngun on February 04, 2024, 02:26:12 PM

But I will say that I will be paying more attention to what I read and watch, AND WHO PRODUCED IT!!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

And pay close attention where you spend your dollar. I try my best to avoid throwing any money at this new age turkey industry. If they've helped to cost us hunting opportunities directly or indirectly (by supporting their favorite influencers), ain't getting a dollar from me.

WV Flopper

msm210

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 04, 2024, 10:02:12 AM
From all the comments (away from the actual topic), pretty much everybody has made some valid points...some more valid than others...  ;D
...but from my perspective, here's the deal...

The current state of turkey hunting just follows the same path as many other aspects of our lives. There is this thing called the "Law of Unintended Consequences" that has this tendency to raise its ugly head all too often.  The process of getting to that point generally follows the same path. Somebody has an idea to take advantage of a given set of conditions, and often associated with their passion (and possibly benefit themselves financially), acts on that idea, and over time it comes back to bite a lot of other folks, as well as themselves a lot of times, in the posterior.  In the hunting world alone, there are a lot more examples of this than just turkey hunting.

Picking a single element to blame it on is simply looking for a scapegoat. ...And choosing a scapegoat that got into the game decades after certain other individuals dislodged the first rock that initiated the landslide is questionable logic, at best. In another thread on a similar topic, I pointed out my own set of rocks that I sent down the hill.  My guess is that there are few long-time turkey hunters here that have not contributed to the circumstances that currently exist in some way, shape, or form.  The fact is that nobody anticipates that a single rock dislodged is going to gather enough momentum over time to result in a potential disaster downhill.

As stated, there are examples of this all across pretty much every aspect of our lives, with perhaps the most glaring being the entire spectrum of what has happened as a result of the advent of the internet and media, in general, in all their facets.  Bottom line is "we are where we are" and "it is what it is".  Simply put, we can all complain about the state of the game at this point, but the reality is that all of us must adapt to the current conditions and alter our expectations (and actions) accordingly.  The ones that don't will just end up getting to walk behind the horses in the parade...or step out of the marching band altogether. 

Now, as far as the quality of the calls in question and per the topic of the original post, I have no idea...but my guess is that, along with most other calls made today,...they will call turkeys just fine when put in the hands of someone that knows how to use them and knows what a turkey sounds like...and knows what to say, when to say it, and where to say it from.    :icon_thumright: :)
I appreciate the thoughts in this post very much!  We must learn to adapt or get
left behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zobo

Quote from: tcook7 on February 04, 2024, 05:30:40 AM

Times evolve on this big rock and we better too or get left behind...ask Bill Belichick

Yeah, good example! Whatever will he do now, the poor guy?
The man has 12 Superbowl appearances and 8 rings, and will probably bring Jerry his first Lombardiof the millennium. He just took a year off to do some tuna fishing off Nantucket. :toothy12:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

tcook7

Yeah, good example! Whatever will he do now, the poor guy?
The man has 12 Superbowl appearances and 8 rings, and will probably bring Jerry his first Lombardiof the millennium. He just took a year off to do some tuna fishing off Nantucket. :toothy12:
[/quote]

Wouldn't bet against it, legendary ball coach. But he won't get it done by operating the same way he did back during their run...that's the example. Not an NFL fan so don't take it as an attack on your team.

Bedge7767

Jim

Howie g

All this hate has inspired me to put on my lucky pinhoti underwear , and put a whoopin on some coons this week ...

runngun

Quote from: Howie g on February 04, 2024, 10:09:16 PM
All this hate has inspired me to put on my lucky pinhoti underwear , and put a whoopin on some coons this week ...
Go git'em Howie g
Post pictures!!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

idratherb

Frost on the ground this mornin, gonna have to wear my THP Hoodie so I dont get cold :jackson:

silent tom

Quote from: idratherb on February 05, 2024, 09:10:13 AM
Frost on the ground this mornin, gonna have to wear my THP Hoodie so I dont get cold :jackson:
Make sure you apply plenty of chap stick also.
I'm pretty sure Ted and Zach could recommend the best brand.

Ranger

Yep, 7 pages. Shows you how serious the subject really is.  The truth is the truth, its not jealousy or envy, its the truth.  Ten years ago very few knew what a Super Slam was and even fewer knew someone going for it, now turkey hunters everywhere are setting up their "swing".  Hundreds of them. Hundreds. That's the change and it was the trading of public land spots that showed everyone the " costs" of the internet heroes, even people who had never heard of them.  Then you add the fact some states PAID THP to film and promote state lands that were already declining in game numbers, you should see why some folks are salty. Its a complicated issue, and not one of jealousy I assure you.  And its not a "my turkey" thing either. Its an already strained resource being marketed to death, literally. I'm starting to see who and where the real ignorance lies, not too many 3rd and 4th generation turkey men in love with the THP. 

Mr Canada, enjoy sitting on our porch. You should read and learn, well ask you about ice hockey. The average 25 season+ turkey hunter from the Southeast or Appalachia or Pennsylvania has forgotten more about turkey hunting than youve ever learned.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

kytrkyhntr

Ranger you're spot on as usual. I guess my comment on the other post is mis interpreted. I agree with everything you're saying. I was educated on some of these influencers recently by a member and took it into consideration and changed who I support. My comment on the other thread was generalizing that it's become so annoying that this fountain of information online for turkey hunters has really turned into nothing more but a page of crying about pinhoti project and other YouTubers. Really just the irony of Dave owens in particular considering when he was very active on here he was treated exactly how social media treats him. It's just bigger now. I don't frequent the app anymore like I once did because every thread is inactive or pinhoti is mentioned and the thread is then hijacked. Or at least that's what I see.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Greg Massey

The arrival of the cell phones and the mapping apps have been one of the biggest problems in the death of turkeys and public land ... IMO....  With this change public ground has and will never be the same again... Regardless of how much we want to complain about what has happened to our public land if you watch any of these YouTube people they just about all have a discount code for mapping apps ....

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 05, 2024, 10:41:13 AM
Regardless of how much we want to complain about what has happened to our public land if you watch any of these YouTube people they just about all have a discount code for mapping apps ....

And before you use their discount code, just be aware they can be getting a kickback as high as 10% of that discount code. So you are literally funding their hunting by using their code. Ironically, Dave told me he wasn't interested in selling out to OnX a couple years ago. Funny how that changed. $$$$

I'd recommend using one of the other dozens of discount codes out there. Seems like every state agency out there now has one. I'd much rather the state agency make a few extra bucks than fund someone else's public land exploits.

ruffbritt4

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 05, 2024, 10:41:13 AM
The arrival of the cell phones and the mapping apps have been one of the biggest problems in the death of turkeys and public land ... IMO....  With this change public ground has and will never be the same again... Regardless of how much we want to complain about what has happened to our public land if you watch any of these YouTube people they just about all have a discount code for mapping apps ....
This ^. We have more information at our fingertips than ever before. What once required door knocking, boot leather, or a tank of gas in the truck is now just a click away on an app. It has eliminated most secrets

For all the complainers about youtube... I suppose you never watched the outdoor channel or purchased any piece of clothing or equipment that those folks produced for over a decade when it was the new big thing? Youtube is just a different platform. I haven't been around here too long but the complaining is a bit ridiculous. I'll continue to hunt just as always have. Sure, I'll bump into other hunters, but they will probably be just as unhappy to see me as I will them.

The problem is never as bad as it seems when you focus your energy on it.