turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pinhoti calls

Started by slave601, February 02, 2024, 06:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

You have to remember some states are reeling in those out of state travels by charging a lot more for licenses and tags that are available...

arkrem870

Arkansas is charging $500 for one turkey tag for non residents now with the recent influx.

GobbleNut

From all the comments (away from the actual topic), pretty much everybody has made some valid points...some more valid than others...  ;D
...but from my perspective, here's the deal...

The current state of turkey hunting just follows the same path as many other aspects of our lives. There is this thing called the "Law of Unintended Consequences" that has this tendency to raise its ugly head all too often.  The process of getting to that point generally follows the same path. Somebody has an idea to take advantage of a given set of conditions, and often associated with their passion (and possibly benefit themselves financially), acts on that idea, and over time it comes back to bite a lot of other folks, as well as themselves a lot of times, in the posterior.  In the hunting world alone, there are a lot more examples of this than just turkey hunting.

Picking a single element to blame it on is simply looking for a scapegoat. ...And choosing a scapegoat that got into the game decades after certain other individuals dislodged the first rock that initiated the landslide is questionable logic, at best. In another thread on a similar topic, I pointed out my own set of rocks that I sent down the hill.  My guess is that there are few long-time turkey hunters here that have not contributed to the circumstances that currently exist in some way, shape, or form.  The fact is that nobody anticipates that a single rock dislodged is going to gather enough momentum over time to result in a potential disaster downhill.

As stated, there are examples of this all across pretty much every aspect of our lives, with perhaps the most glaring being the entire spectrum of what has happened as a result of the advent of the internet and media, in general, in all their facets.  Bottom line is "we are where we are" and "it is what it is".  Simply put, we can all complain about the state of the game at this point, but the reality is that all of us must adapt to the current conditions and alter our expectations (and actions) accordingly.  The ones that don't will just end up getting to walk behind the horses in the parade...or step out of the marching band altogether. 

Now, as far as the quality of the calls in question and per the topic of the original post, I have no idea...but my guess is that, along with most other calls made today,...they will call turkeys just fine when put in the hands of someone that knows how to use them and knows what a turkey sounds like...and knows what to say, when to say it, and where to say it from.    :icon_thumright: :)

slave601

Quote from: Jfowler82 on February 04, 2024, 08:29:57 AM
I think most all the you tube turkeys hunters should have been more vague on the location of where they are hunting . I see no need to specify whether it's public or private. Some things are better left unsaid.
This right here!!!!!! Spot on. Just film a hunt, and leave it at that. No public, private or state has to be mentioned.
"thinnin the flock"

silent tom

:turkey2:
Quote from: slave601 on February 04, 2024, 10:45:25 AM
Quote from: Jfowler82 on February 04, 2024, 08:29:57 AM
I think most all the you tube turkeys hunters should have been more vague on the location of where they are hunting . I see no need to specify whether it's public or private. Some things are better left unsaid.
This right here!!!!!! Spot on. Just film a hunt, and leave it at that. No public, private or state has to be mentioned.
They wouldn't get as many clicks/views. Heaven forbid.   

captpete

Quote from: GobbleNut on February 04, 2024, 10:02:12 AM
From all the comments (away from the actual topic), pretty much everybody has made some valid points...some more valid than others...  ;D
...but from my perspective, here's the deal...

The current state of turkey hunting just follows the same path as many other aspects of our lives. There is this thing called the "Law of Unintended Consequences" that has this tendency to raise its ugly head all too often.  The process of getting to that point generally follows the same path. Somebody has an idea to take advantage of a given set of conditions, and often associated with their passion (and possibly benefit themselves financially), acts of that idea, and over time it comes back to bite a lot of other folks, as well as themselves a lot of times, in the posterior.  In the hunting world alone, there are a lot more examples of this than just turkey hunting.

Picking a single element to blame it on is simply looking for a scapegoat. ...And choosing a scapegoat that got into the game decades after certain other individuals dislodged the first rock that initiated the landslide is questionable logic, at best. In another thread on a similar topic, I pointed out my own set of rocks that I sent down the hill.  My guess is that there are few long-time turkey hunters here that have not contributed to the circumstances that currently exist in some way, shape, or form.  The fact is that nobody anticipates that a single rock dislodged is going to gather enough momentum over time to result in a potential disaster downhill.

As stated, there are examples of this all across pretty much every aspect of our lives, with perhaps the most glaring being the entire spectrum of what has happened as a result of the advent of the internet and media, in general, in all their facets.  Bottom line is "we are where we are" and "it is what it is".  Simply put, we can all complain about the state of the game at this point, but the reality is that all of us must adapt to the current conditions and alter our expectations (and actions) accordingly.  The ones that don't will just end up getting to walk behind the horses in the parade...or step out of the marching band altogether. 

Now, as far as the quality of the calls in question and per the topic of the original post, I have no idea...but my guess is that, along with most other calls made today,...they will call turkeys just fine when put in the hands of someone that knows how to use them and knows what a turkey sounds like...and knows what to say, when to say it, and where to say it from.    :icon_thumright: :)

Great post GobbleNut... :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

As far as the call goes, here a thread from about a year ago about the call.
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,111773.0.html

arkrem870

We are all adapting and changing ours plans/strategy to accommodate for the loss of season/bag limits /quota etc. but that doesn't mean we have to sit idly by and take it.... don't piss on me and tell me it's raining.

mookyj

Wow, such a long thread full of envy, and self-orbits. According to some replying here, anyone who promotes turkey hunting in any fashion is pimping turkeys.  A rather lame exercise of "my turkeys, my spots." Very much in keeping with the tree-hugger preservationist folks, wanting it all to themselves, no changes, no newcomers, ever on public grounds no less... 

If the self-serving amongst us had it their way, final say. over a hundred years ago, there never would have been enough interest or critical mass of hunters, of community to ever witness the success of trap and transfer, wildlife management/research initiatives, and a grand era of increasing carrying capacities that resulted in a peak we once saw in the 1990s and early 2000s. The antis and birders refuse to pay for wildlife management as we all know, unless it excludes hunting. Seriously, in this thread, there is a full stop short of thinking it all the way through.   Growth and interest in the resource and turkey hunting is what brought turkeys back from near extinction and it took folks promoting the resource and conservation practices to make it happen. Blame it on the magazines, book authors of the day. Maybe a sitting president.

In CNY where I live, there is a ton of state land, where I seldom see another hunter, and very few trucks parked. I encountered far more hunters two decades ago. If we have it your way, the interest and the money will wither away on the vine, and we can revisit the 1930s-1950s all over again.  Where exactly do you think the funding is coming from to pay for the research in untangling and mitigating the declines from a perfect storm of all causes?  From hunters that want nobody else  hunting "their birds" on "their public lands?"

The video personality that some of you upset folks single out, is one of the few that publishes the good, and the not-so-much in a defeated gobbler. Far from the 100% kill fests and never-ending infomercial offerings. Gets his butt handed to him in many of the episodes I've seen, just like we all do, and not wall-to-wall hawking products.  Truth be told if the nay-sayers here had the opportunity to hunt that many states each season, and make some kind of living with it, they would..  Since when is he the first to have calls made on contract?  Would any call makers here be upset with him calling you up for an order? It can be said he promotes turkey hunting in a positive light even if he is killing "YOUR turkeys..."  Pinhoti Apocalypse, Dave behind every tree...? Envy much?    I remember silly drama like this in grade school. I digress.

"My turkeys" way of thinking deters future generations and does little to nothing to encourage them.  I might label that as selfish, self-interest.  I'll continue to be "selfish" in my writings, and books in the hope I might encourage others to enjoy the turkey woods as I do, God forbid, even the very public turkey woods I so enjoy...
Mike Joyner
joyneroutdoormedia.com

arkrem870

So you profit from more turkey hunters?

mookyj

Quote from: arkrem870 on February 04, 2024, 01:42:25 PM

Just as you do, you really ought to be writing letters to shotgun makers, ammo companies, camo clothing makers, and especially call makers as nobody should make a living according to your premise, especially those making a profit. Shaming fail, sorry, not buying that BS. You think the turkeys you killed over the years were possible without the growth of the turkey hunting industry and participating hunters, in return, funding wildlife initiatives, research, trap-and-transfer. Ever give thought if the DNRs of each state were all funded by general funds and the anti's, you might not have to worry about buying a hunting license, ever.... or any see any emphasis on managing whitetail deer, not to mention turkeys.
Mike Joyner
joyneroutdoormedia.com

runngun

Quote from: arkrem870 on February 04, 2024, 01:42:25 PM
That's the answer right there. I am in NO WAY envious of "Super Dave". 
But I will say that I will be paying more attention to what I read and watch, AND WHO PRODUCED IT!!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

kytrkyhntr

Wtf happened to this forum? Lol
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

silent tom

Quote from: mookyj on February 04, 2024, 12:48:33 PM
Wow, such a long thread full of envy, and self-orbits. According to some replying here, anyone who promotes turkey hunting in any fashion is pimping turkeys.  A rather lame exercise of "my turkeys, my spots." Very much in keeping with the tree-hugger preservationist folks, wanting it all to themselves, no changes, no newcomers, ever on public grounds no less... 

If the self-serving amongst us had it their way, final say. over a hundred years ago, there never would have been enough interest or critical mass of hunters, of community to ever witness the success of trap and transfer, wildlife management/research initiatives, and a grand era of increasing carrying capacities that resulted in a peak we once saw in the 1990s and early 2000s. The antis and birders refuse to pay for wildlife management as we all know, unless it excludes hunting. Seriously, in this thread, there is a full stop short of thinking it all the way through.   Growth and interest in the resource and turkey hunting is what brought turkeys back from near extinction and it took folks promoting the resource and conservation practices to make it happen. Blame it on the magazines, book authors of the day. Maybe a sitting president.

In CNY where I live, there is a ton of state land, where I seldom see another hunter, and very few trucks parked. I encountered far more hunters two decades ago. If we have it your way, the interest and the money will wither away on the vine, and we can revisit the 1930s-1950s all over again.  Where exactly do you think the funding is coming from to pay for the research in untangling and mitigating the declines from a perfect storm of all causes?  From hunters that want nobody else  hunting "their birds" on "their public lands?"

The video personality that some of you upset folks single out, is one of the few that publishes the good, and the not-so-much in a defeated gobbler. Far from the 100% kill fests and never-ending infomercial offerings. Gets his butt handed to him in many of the episodes I've seen, just like we all do, and not wall-to-wall hawking products.  Truth be told if the nay-sayers here had the opportunity to hunt that many states each season, and make some kind of living with it, they would..  Since when is he the first to have calls made on contract?  Would any call makers here be upset with him calling you up for an order? It can be said he promotes turkey hunting in a positive light even if he is killing "YOUR turkeys..."  Pinhoti Apocalypse, Dave behind every tree...? Envy much?    I remember silly drama like this in grade school. I digress.

"My turkeys" way of thinking deters future generations and does little to nothing to encourage them.  I might label that as selfish, self-interest.  I'll continue to be "selfish" in my writings, and books in the hope I might encourage others to enjoy the turkey woods as I do, God forbid, even the very public turkey woods I so enjoy...
I'm not familiar with your writing so I apologize ahead of time if I make incorrect assumptions.
The type of people who are consuming content in book form vs YouTube/instagram/facebook are on the opposite ends of the spectrum.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: kytrkyhntr on February 04, 2024, 02:29:38 PM
Wtf happened to this forum? Lol

Folks finally coming to their senses after a few of us kept warning them what was coming as everyone mindlessly kept clicking "likes" and "subscribes".

Now LOTS of turkey hunters have been personally affected and do not like it one bit.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: slave601 on February 04, 2024, 10:45:25 AM

Brought that up in a person to person meeting with one of them. He got offended and just said "Well i'm a traveling turkey hunter and that is what I do!"

All about those views! So many folks searching "public" and "insert state name here" to plan their next "swing".