News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pinhoti calls

Started by slave601, February 02, 2024, 06:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian

This post is hysterical, all the guy asked is what people think of his calls

Being as the topic has shifted however, and that it hits home for me, ill add my two cents, without crap talking the Pinhoti guy that Slave was inquiring about. Especially when I've never even shook the guys hand and spent more than an hour over coffee with him.

Everyone here thinks turkey hunter increase and promotion is a bad thing? Come visit our public land in Canada. Come visit a place where there is little to no turkey hunting following, and government owned land is acquired just to rot. The most beautifully managed land ive ever seen is in the United States. For heavens sake, our government is trying to take our guns, as we speak! You think power in numbers is negative? If theres only 1 turkey left in my country, ill still go after him and enjoy the spring woods as though there were thousands. Besides, who gives a rats ars about what so-and-so does. If somebody sells pins for $ (which i think youre a crazy turkey conspiracy theorist to ACTUALLY believe) whats that to me? So long as i get to keep turkey hunting, and keep my Papas model 12. Pffffft, people sour that they gotta share God's creation with others. Wake up, and enjoy what you still have.

Sent from my SM-S918W using Tapatalk

bowbird87

Quote from: Ranger on February 03, 2024, 10:09:48 AM
What some don't understand is that its much deeper than a bunch of videos and promoting the sport. The truth is that Cove or Dave or whatever the fans call him has actually sold out and traded GA and ALA spots to out of state hunters, "traded" those spots to out of state hunters for his own opportunities in other states. So now places that were somewhat .moderate as far as activity have seen exponential growth in numbers, and its not a coincidence. So if you're a fan and wondering why he's made so many salty, he sold out their spots to hunt in other states. Pins for pins, its a thing, and as the super slammer group gets bigger the pins keep getting shared. And to those that know, they get to watch the fans pay for his travels now.

I bet 3/4 of the people on this forum would do the exact same thing if they were in his position. It's part of the game. You can pull up to most check stations in Georgia and ask the tech where they heard gobbling and they will point it out on a map. Killing them is still the hard part.

arkrem870

You are actually incorrect in your assumption Canadian.  I grew up in a strong turkey hunting community. It's engrained in many of us. Turkey hunters have always been secretive by nature.....telling others your spots etc is a huge no no for turkey hunters. We love the game. We love the bird. We love the calls. We are constantly learning and honing our craft. The game is between us and the gobbler. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. You enjoy it for what it is and are happy to have played. And that in itself is enough for a turkey hunter

Then you have a group hell bent on killing turkeys. Dressing in fancy matching outfits. Staging the perfect kill pictures. Running to post for likes and verification from strange men. Those chasing 49 on man made state lines rushing to kill one and go. Those filming on public lands FOR PROFIT.  Sensationalizing the killing of turkeys adding more picture seeking killers to the ranks. Crowding turkey hunters and decreasing opportunities through regulation. All the while the FOR PROFIT killers are trying to cash in on the new picture seekers and slam chasers.  The big dogs jump in...MOSSY OAK ETC because there is money to be made off this phenomenon and here we are.

But in the end.....Who in the hell actually cares about turkeys?  Guess you can make up your own mind.

Old Swamper

Quote from: arkrem870 on February 03, 2024, 04:10:41 PM
You are actually incorrect in your assumption Canadian.  I grew up in a strong turkey hunting community. It's engrained in many of us. Turkey hunters have always been secretive by nature.....telling others your spots etc is a huge no no for turkey hunters. We love the game. We love the bird. We love the calls. We are constantly learning and honing our craft. The game is between us and the gobbler. Sometimes you win. Sometimes you lose. You enjoy it for what it is and are happy to have played. And that in itself is enough for a turkey hunter

Then you have a group hell bent on killing turkeys. Dressing in fancy matching outfits. Staging the perfect kill pictures. Running to post for likes and verification from strange men. Those chasing 49 on man made state lines rushing to kill one and go. Those filming on public lands FOR PROFIT.  Sensationalizing the killing of turkeys adding more picture seeking killers to the ranks. Crowding turkey hunters and decreasing opportunities through regulation. All the while the FOR PROFIT killers are trying to cash in on the new picture seekers and slam chasers.  The big dogs jump in...MOSSY OAK ETC because there is money to be made off this phenomenon and here we are.

But in the end.....Who in the hell actually cares about turkeys?  Guess you can make up your own mind.

Pretty well nailed it right there. Good post

Canadian

Yeah, i actually 100% agree with you... im more so disagreeing in on the concept that growth in the sport is a negative thing. I view it as positive. Now, do i agree with EVERYTHING that social media portrays? Not at all. The point i was trying to get across when i said "even if only 1 turkey in my country exists, ill still hunt as though there were a thousand", is that for me, its not all about the kill, its the hunt and love for the turkey. And what others do, will not deter me from what i love to do.

Again, i was more so trying to hone in on the fact that growth is not ALL that bad, and i actually believe that the good outweighs the bad. Why do i say that? Because ive experienced the opposite. My 'current' government wants to take my Papas guns from me, and strip my rights to hunt, and the voice of our outdoorsmen are not much more than a whisper. When i go to the US, im always envious of how many like minded outdoorsmen there are.

I will say this though: maybe im naive and dont understand how you guys feel as Americans who grew up in a rich turkey hunting culture? I also maybe didnt illustrate my point very clearly and graciously in my first post, and maybe i should delete it for fear of miscommunicating my point?

Canadian

I actually went back and picked through my original comment. If you read through it again, i dont think either of our posts are contradictory of one another. So what do you mean by me being incorrect in my assumption? What am i incorrect about? I never glorified the things you spoke negatively about (pictures, killing, blood, glory, etc). I actually agree with everything you said about that. Trust me, im not ill intentioned here.

CALLM2U

Quote from: Fdept56 on February 03, 2024, 12:58:47 PM
Quote from: CALLM2U on February 03, 2024, 12:50:51 PM
Quote from: arkrem870 on February 03, 2024, 12:28:26 PM
I saw first hand what that bunch did to Alabama.  Then they spread it around all of the country and wrecked public turkey hunting.  Loose lips sink ships. No we have non resident draws. Later start dates on public. More expensive tags. Lower limits. Etc Local hunters and long time hunters lost it so a few could make a few pennies pimping what was never theirs to begin with.

So you don't like that more people are enjoying the sport that you love so much.   Got it.  :icon_thumright:

What is one benefit to ANYONE besides those making money from more people hunting?

Surely this is just worded poorly because the answer is obvious....  Without people continuing to engage in the sport, it will die out. 

The average US hunter's age is over 50 right now.  Hunters 15-26 have decreased by over 50% in the last 2 decades.   

I'm done engaging in these conversations; the anti-turkey hunting growth community is just extremely selfish and want to go back to the 'good-ol-days' when they had land to themselves.   There is no changing their minds. They don't care about future generations. 

Canadian

Quote from: CALLM2U on February 03, 2024, 06:23:53 PM
I saw first hand what that bunch did to Alabama.  Then they spread it around all of the country and wrecked public turkey hunting.  Loose lips sink ships. No we have non resident draws. Later start dates on public. More expensive tags. Lower limits. Etc Local hunters and long time hunters lost it so a few could make a few pennies pimping what was never theirs to begin with.

So you don't like that more people are enjoying the sport that you love so much.   Got it.  :icon_thumright:

What is one benefit to ANYONE besides those making money from more people hunting?

Surely this is just worded poorly because the answer is obvious....  Without people continuing to engage in the sport, it will die out. 

The average US hunter's age is over 50 right now.  Hunters 15-26 have decreased by over 50% in the last 2 decades.   

I'm done engaging in these conversations; the anti-turkey hunting growth community is just extremely selfish and want to go back to the 'good-ol-days' when they had land to themselves.   There is no changing their minds. They don't care about future generations.
YES! THIS IS WHAT I WAS TRYING TO COMMUNICATE!

I will add this: the consequences of keeping things a secret for yourself, and not pushing growth in the sport, is irreversible. Why can i confidently say that? Look up Australia and Canada's gun buy-backs, Canadas current firearm restrictions, and Australias aswell. I have a friend that was forced, by Federal law, to hand in his firearm collection. He recieved about 1/10th of what it was worth. You Americans got it good, man. I wish there was a movement here, which i could support, that would pursuade the masses to experience the outdoors... I think growth in the sport is essential for its survival.

cuttinAR

Quote from: CALLM2U on February 03, 2024, 06:23:53 PM

This is just dumb.  In my 2+ decades turkey hunting I have taken 7 hunters on their first hunt which they killed a turkey.  In each and every one of those cases there was no broadcasting of when, where, etc to the masses. 

arkrem870

The social media fan boys saying we are the selfish ones is comical. When they are literally pimping a public resource FOR PROFIT.  Absolute ridiculousness and the definition of selfish. In fact I can't think of anything more selfish than profiting and pimping wild turkeys.

3bailey3

opening day last season, 5 of us in camp young guy hunted close to me, I heard one gobble close to him and I had 3 or four gobble close to me. No one killed but when we got back to camp boys dad who is the club president ask what you hear and I said nothing and the kid looked at me with his mouth wide open and I smiled at him and he got it! One thing I learned early on never ask what you hear. I have known some ole men that enjoyed saying nothing but had a bird in the back of the truck. Canadian guy all I can tell you is you need to move!

Canadian

Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 03, 2024, 07:28:22 PM
opening day last season, 5 of us in camp young guy hunted close to me, I heard one gobble close to him and I had 3 or four gobble close to me. No one killed but when we got back to camp boys dad who is the club president ask what you hear and I said nothing and the kid looked at me with his mouth wide open and I smiled at him and he got it! One thing I learned early on never ask what you hear. I have known some ole men that enjoyed saying nothing but had a bird in the back of the truck. Canadian guy all I can tell you is you need to move!
Hahaha, trust me, its crossed my mind many a times, and ill always be open to the idea, so long as im allowed in.

Crghss

Quote from: Canadian on February 03, 2024, 02:22:01 PM
This post is hysterical, all the guy asked is what people think of his calls

Being as the topic has shifted however, and that it hits home for me, ill add my two cents, without crap talking the Pinhoti guy that Slave was inquiring about. Especially when I've never even shook the guys hand and spent more than an hour over coffee with him.

Everyone here thinks turkey hunter increase and promotion is a bad thing? Come visit our public land in Canada. Come visit a place where there is little to no turkey hunting following, and government owned land is acquired just to rot. The most beautifully managed land ive ever seen is in the United States. For heavens sake, our government is trying to take our guns, as we speak! You think power in numbers is negative? Ridiculous. I dont see a true turkey hunter in this discussion. Just a bunch of guys that place their identity in 'success', 'results', and walking the easy road. If theres only 1 turkey left in my country, ill still go after him and enjoy the spring woods as though there were thousands. Besides, who gives a rats ars about what so-and-so does. If somebody sells pins for $ (which i think youre a crazy turkey conspiracy theorist to ACTUALLY believe) whats that to me? So long as i get to keep turkey hunting, and keep my Papas model 12. Pffffft, people sour that they gotta share God's creation with others. Wake up, and enjoy what you still have.

Absolute truth. Technology has opened the doors to explorer more things for everyone. Whether it's hunting, fishing, camping, Diving or whatever. I've been crowded out in every thing I do. Because social media in any form exposes people to possibilities, then provides the answers they need to attempt it.

It's not just hunting it's everything.
I use to be able to go to beach when ever I wanted. Now have to be there by 9:30 or parking is gone.
Friends of mine use to meet up every February to camp and kayak fish, now all Florida state campsites fill up the night they become available. And thats 11 months out. May get one but that is it.
Look at hunting out west that's been totally screwed up.

Its not a few online shows that's driving this, it is technology. How many people use Onx or Google earth? Those have contributed way more to increase in hunters, of any sort, being in the outdoors than anything.

Everyone needs a villain or someone hate, so go ahead and hate away. But railing away at the scourge of Pinhoti or any other show won't change a thing.

As Canadian stated, enjoy what you have while you have it. Because more technology is on the horizon. Artificial Intelligence, ChatGPT, Baird are going to make it way easier for newbies or current hunters to enter and expand there hunting experience then any internet podcast.

All you folks that think people are killing "your" turkeys on public land. And want drive away turkey hunters from your public land remember fewer hunters means fewer votes and support for hunting. Everyday more and more people think hunting is inhumane and should be eliminated.

In 10 to 15 there won't be any hunting access to public land. It's happening today as we speak. But everyone should be able to get a shot with their camera, so there is that.

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Crghss

Quote from: Canadian on February 03, 2024, 08:07:44 PM
Quote from: 3bailey3 on February 03, 2024, 07:28:22 PM
Hahaha, trust me, its crossed my mind many a times, and ill always be open to the idea, so long as im allowed in.

You'll need to fly to Mexico and walk across but it shouldn't be a problem.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

runngun

You'll need to fly to Mexico and walk across but it shouldn't be a problem

Comment of the Year!!!!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.