turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Pinhoti calls

Started by slave601, February 02, 2024, 06:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Upfold99

1. I scout alot to have multiple options.
2. I'm in the woods very early.
3. I back out if I get beat to a spot. 
4. I drive many miles to find additional hunting spots.
5. I'm willing to pay for some private and not hunt public only.  However, I hunt public 90%.

Well I guess most things I stated are things I have heard Mr. Owen's say.  Guess I'm a terrible fella too.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

guesswho

From what I've been reading, you may be ok, unless you smoke a cigar after a successful hunt.   And stay off YouTube.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Bedge7767

Jim

arkrem870

Adapting..... Used to have a bunch of close march options. Had a place we went every year. Had some big years and made friends with the 3-4 groups of hunters that used the same camp ground.  One year we show up to find a lot of hunters in the camp ground. 2-3x as many along with 3-4 of the popular turkey channel guys.  This area always had a good amount of pressure as it was. We hunted. Got up early. Held spots. Did what we could. Left there after a few days and moved to some less pressured stuff.  Was our first encounter with YouTubers and not our last. Continued to hunt the other areas and the hunting numbers continued to grow. Then the state delayed season on the public land.....basically no longer allowing march hunting on the public and then 1 turkey in the first week.

So we adapted by moving to another state with march hunting. Did this for a bit with some success but more pressure than ever due to more hunters and more displaced hunters. Then that state enacted a non resident draw to hunt in March. We drew and it wasn't ideal but we made it work. Then we didn't draw

So we adapted by moving to another state that allowed march hunting that was even farther away. The crowds were suffocating but we adapted and had some success.  But we saw more hunters than turkeys. A far cry from year earlier.

We continue to travel and see other states lower our hunting opportunities through delayed openers and lower bag limits/one gobbler in the first week regs. We stretched farther away from home.

We put in for tags and quotas now which were once open hunting. We've seen the Midwest pummeled. Farmers that never saw another hunter in Wisconsin having people coming by daily.

I've traveled all over hunting and have spent 30 days on the road for 20 + years.  I know you can get into areas with less pressure and I do but the windows for those areas is short. And you end up farther from home and airplanes become a requirement.

I think about different ways to adapt daily. It never leaves my mind. The noose is tightening on the public land hunters especially southerners . 
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

Zobo

Quote from: Bedge7767 on February 06, 2024, 01:42:53 PM
9 pages

I'm taking prop bets on this,
What do you think 12 on the over/under?
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Bedge7767

Quote from: Zobo on February 06, 2024, 02:09:38 PM
Quote from: Bedge7767 on February 06, 2024, 01:42:53 PM
9 pages

I'm taking prop bets on this,
What do you think 12 on the over/under?
I see no end in sight.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Jim

WW

Quote from: joey46 on February 06, 2024, 08:09:45 AM
The word "adapt" on this forum seems to send many into a tizzy.  I enjoy his YouTube's also.  Turkeys For Tomorrow will have their drawing for their guided hunts this Thursday.  One of the choices is a hunt with his group.  It is the one I selected.  Be fun.  Good luck this season.   :turkey2:

Maybe you'll win and he can autograph a trumpet and a pair of pinhoti underwear for you..

Muzzy61

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tom007

I said 11 earlier. Might be it?
"Solo hunter"

Burney Mac

Quote from: arkrem870 on February 06, 2024, 01:46:33 PM
Adapting..... Used to have a bunch of close march options. Had a place we went every year. Had some big years and made friends with the 3-4 groups of hunters that used the same camp ground.  One year we show up to find a lot of hunters in the camp ground. 2-3x as many along with 3-4 of the popular turkey channel guys.  This area always had a good amount of pressure as it was. We hunted. Got up early. Held spots. Did what we could. Left there after a few days and moved to some less pressured stuff.  Was our first encounter with YouTubers and not our last. Continued to hunt the other areas and the hunting numbers continued to grow. Then the state delayed season on the public land.....basically no longer allowing march hunting on the public and then 1 turkey in the first week.

So we adapted by moving to another state with march hunting. Did this for a bit with some success but more pressure than ever due to more hunters and more displaced hunters. Then that state enacted a non resident draw to hunt in March. We drew and it wasn't ideal but we made it work. Then we didn't draw

So we adapted by moving to another state that allowed march hunting that was even farther away. The crowds were suffocating but we adapted and had some success.  But we saw more hunters than turkeys. A far cry from year earlier.

We continue to travel and see other states lower our hunting opportunities through delayed openers and lower bag limits/one gobbler in the first week regs. We stretched farther away from home.

We put in for tags and quotas now which were once open hunting. We've seen the Midwest pummeled. Farmers that never saw another hunter in Wisconsin having people coming by daily.

I've traveled all over hunting and have spent 30 days on the road for 20 + years.  I know you can get into areas with less pressure and I do but the windows for those areas is short. And you end up farther from home and airplanes become a requirement.

I think about different ways to adapt daily. It never leaves my mind. The noose is tightening on the public land hunters especially southerners .

Well said.

Unfortunately, everything is spot on and has been felt and experienced by some of us exactly as you have stated.

Of course you could always adapt by entering a raffle for a chance to win a hunt with a few folks that have helped to provide the rope that seems to get tighter every year.
"It's not about how hard you can hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward."

NCL

Two factors that seem to be overlooked are the population of the US is growing so that probably translates into more hunters. Probably more importantly is the internet has become the first place you look for any information on any topic. For years I read the hunting survey results regarding why people are dripping out of hunting and usually the number one reason was access to hunting property. So fast forward to now and if I wanted to start hunting the first place I would look would be the internet

joey46

Very reasonable post NCL.  Some here on this thread seem so frustrated they may "stroke out".  Too bad  - ADAPT (or buy golf clubs).

idratherb

Im on last bag of THP popcorn :popcorn:....maybe Ted will send me more since I signed up for OnX

Bedge7767

Jim

WV Flopper

It doesn't matter how many pages this post lasts. The you tube haters will be on every post now till June when the word you tube comes up. Notifications.

When it does, they are on here hard core.

What I find the most ironic/moronic is people complaining about social media, while on, social media!