OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

DO You Remember The Cost Of your First Auto - Shotgun ? Pump

Started by Greg Massey, February 01, 2024, 09:29:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

roberthyman14

2001. 870 express  12 gauge.  Academy sports $219.    I still have the gun and still shoot dove with it. 

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Remington 1100 2 3/4 modified barrel  $185.  Local TG&Y was selling their guns out.  I sold the mod barrel to a good friend who had a IC and Full barrel and got the 26" screw in choke barrel with 3 chokes and dove hunted with it for years. 

I killed my first turkey with it, with an extra full choke and 1 1/2 oz #5 lead reloads at 30 yards.  Plenty of history with this gun.

Dtrkyman

Mossberg 500 20ga.   Was either 159 or 189 at Kmart.

Around 1990ish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fmf

I remember like it was yesterday.  My first gun was a 410 single shot, and when it was time to upgrade I begged my mom to take me to a pawn shop we passed from time to time.  They had a nice looking Western Auto Revolution 20ga pump (rebadged mossberg 500).  I still have that gun to this day, and it would be the last gun that I would ever get rid of.

Kylongspur88

1997 870 20ga from Walmart for $200 and change. I used chore/lawn mowing money and my dad bought it. That gun has killed everything from rabbits to deer and everything in between.

g8rvet

My dad owned a gun store so my first gun was a Christmas present - 20 Gauge Win 101.

First gun I bought:  took a police 870 as payment for a dog surgery in 1991.  Added $50 and bought a 12g 26" barrel 870, matte finish stock.  Replaced the stock years ago and the gun is still going strong, but has been confiscated by my son.  He shoots it better than me now anyways. 

His first gun that was all his was an 870 he won at a skeet shoot at 15. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

mountainhunter1

My Father made all of us boys cut our teeth with a single barrel that was used to murder a man that he bought from the local District Attorney. The DA had kept the gun after an important murder case locally (my father bought it for 5 dollars). My father took the sawed off barrel off of it and put a 30 inch full choke on it. The gun was missing the spring in the action, so every time you shot it - it sprang open and would cut you on the nose.

After I had killed a few the old single barrel, he surprised me one day with a Belgium Browning A5 12 gauge.  Trust me, I paid for that gun so many times as we worked on the farm from bed time to bed time. LOL
That gun was the demise to many a critter including Turkeys.

Much later on, bought my first designated turkey only shotgun on my own - around 1990ish, a Remington 870 12-gauge with the 21" barrel and paid right at 180 dollars for it. Have killed a pile of turkeys with that gun (with nothing but lead) and just semi retired it two years ago. Still have it and thinking about taking the scope off it and putting an extra red dot I have laying around on it and placing it back into the rotation this spring.

Thanks for the thread Greg - great topic! 
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

TurkinTone

My first semi-auto was a 12ga. Benelli Montefeltro purchased in 1988 for $640.00

Ryanmc

A black synthetic 870 28" barrel on sale at Walmart for $209. They had the wood ones on sale but I asked about the black one that was listed for $269 and they sold it for the sale price. Still hunt with it today

arkrem870

The first shotgun I bought was $305. I worked hard all summer and saved for it. Still have it.

Dougas

My first shot gun Is a Mossberg 835 Ultra Mag 12 gauge pump. A buddy bought it new for me and said just do 3 antler mounts for him in trade. This was in the early 90s.

Waterhead

Bought a Mossberg 500 12 ga thinking I paid about $200. The one I really remember though is a new/used Browning Gold Hunter 12ga in 2000-2001 for $300. Some lady one it in a raffle at a gun shop. Lady won it at a raffle but didn't want it so she sold it back to the gun shop. They said they had to sell it as used bc it being a raffle. Still have it and use it for sporting clays.

dayna105

Went into a local small sporting goods just to look around. After spending 3 years looking for a Winchester 1400,  12ga plain barrel with full choke. There it was hanging on the wall of used guns. $125 and they offered lay-away. That was in 1977. Its still in the gun safe.

CALLM2U

My first shotgun was a Savage model 949C.  (Single barrel 20g w/fixed mod choke)  When my dad got the news he had a boy, he left the hospital and bought the shotgun for me.   ;D    I believe I recall him saying it was under $100.  Killed my first turkey with it at age 8.  2 3/4 in lead 6s.