turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Nebraska non-res spring turkey tags sold out

Started by Treerooster, January 25, 2024, 01:16:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treerooster

As of January 25th. That seems a lot faster than last year if my memory serves.

MossyOak92

I have been watching the number of tags steadily fall. It will be my first time not going in years. Not counting when they shut out of staters out in 2020. The places I have to hunt don't have a population of birds anymore. The last two years were a struggle to just kill one.

Magdump

Holy cow it seems like things have changed a lot in Nebraska and Kansas in the last few years.

In 2021 with a help of a fantastic outfitter right on the border between the two states, I was able to cross both states off the super slam list with a bow.  And I live on the other side of the country so I'm definitely a nonresident. It seems like such a two state in one trip hunt would no longer be easily possible these days with the tag challenges involved.

It's such beautiful country out there, you guys that get to hunt out there regularly are very blessed. I hope things turn around for you all! Hang in there!

huntineveryday

Sold out in March last year. Only a few weeks this year. It will be interesting to see how long it takes before they turn that into a draw permit.

https://outdoornebraska.gov/about/press-events/news/nonresident-nebraska-turkey-permits-sold-out/

deerhunt1988

Not surprised. We all know what's accelerated this mess. I'm just curious to see what state reduces non resident opportunity next. Been a downward spiral these past few years!

Dtrkyman

Glad I got to hunt Nebraska before it was raped and pillaged!  Unbelievable the change from 10 plus years ago until now.

I watched it's slow steady demise, was still a 2 bird state when I started, the first farms I hunted were just flat polluted with turkeys, to the point I even wondered at the time if it could stay that way?

The last couple years I hunted and guided there it was tough, getting on birds was a challenge and the pressure was intense!

Hopefully it will rebound, I love hunting those wide open places and having birds come a mile to the call.

slave601

I've heard through the grapevine Missouri is next to making changes in the non resident licenses.  :-\
"thinnin the flock"

deerhunt1988

Quote from: slave601 on January 28, 2024, 06:36:39 AM
I've heard through the grapevine Missouri is next to making changes in the non resident licenses.  :-\

I was afraid of this. They are leaving a lot of $$ on the table already, as their license got "cheap" in a hurry. To their south, Arkansas is now getting $510 for 1 turkey. To their north, Iowa is $265-$325 for 1 turkey. Cheapest you can hunt TN is $214 for 7-days. That $225 for 3 weeks and 2 turkey in MO is starting to look like a bargain!

But with NE going limited, KS going draw, Iowa already draw, Arkansas being the most $$ turkey in the nation, and TN's recent changes.....All that just points more folks towards Missouri. I fully expected them to make a change soon given the situation.

budtripp

Quote from: slave601 on January 28, 2024, 06:36:39 AM

I highly doubt that. Missouri resident here that knows the MDC never curbs nonresidents even though its definitely needed badly on deer tags and starting to be needed for turkeys.

silvestris

An unlimited amount of consumers attempting to consume a limited resource.  The math ain't good.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Yoder409

Quote from: silvestris on January 31, 2024, 12:37:48 AM
An unlimited amount of consumers attempting to consume a limited resource.  The math ain't good.

Fact, Jack.    :(
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Cottonmouth

Not surprising since every hunter from Mississippi goes there and shoots every jake they see just to go home telling everybody they killed 6 turkeys. Sad to see.

WW

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on January 25, 2024, 10:33:27 PM
Not surprised. We all know what's accelerated this mess.

Yes we do... the Youtube superstar! It's ironic how he loves to hunt them (GETTING SPONSORED AND PAID) and he's a big reason so many are being killed from traveling hunters now.

BDeal

Well that sucks. How many days did it take them to sell out? My son just started going to college in NE (we live in WI) and I was hoping to do a hunt there with him at some point.

arkrem870

Sickening to see what's happened. YouTubers are the parasites of hunting.