OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What are you reading, watching, listening to ?

Started by Zobo, January 21, 2024, 07:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zobo

These two are "on deck," Nunnery is a reread and the Dave Harbour book I've had for a while but haven't tackled it yet.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Quig

Quote from: shatcher on January 22, 2024, 07:22:10 AM
Quote from: Quig on January 21, 2024, 09:57:38 PM
Just started reading America, Wild Turkeys and Mongrel Dogs .....its been good so far!

Do you mind me asking where you found a copy of that?  Appreciate it.

Sure - I just ordered it off from Amazon - its a good quality hardcover book probably 12"x12" thats over 300 pages long so it will keep me busy for awhile at the pace I read

soILstrutter

I just finished reading Hunter Farrior's "Ballad of a Turkey Hunter", and am just getting into his "Any Given Spring Morning". Both of them are good, quick reads so far. I like his writing style and can relate to a lot of the stuff he talks about. I finished "Memories of Spring" from Ron Jolly earlier this winter as well which was pretty good. I have "Faces in the Crowd" on deck from Tom Kelly. And I will undoubtedly pick up "The Old Pro Turkey Hunter" and reread it before the season like I do every year!

3bailey3

I have read Hunters first book and working on the second, both good reads, I really like the chapter two coffee cups.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Zobo on January 22, 2024, 05:25:19 PM
These two are "on deck," Nunnery is a reread and the Dave Harbour book I've had for a while but haven't tackled it yet.

Both good books.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

GobbleGitr

Dug into Jim Spencer's Bad Birds 3-enjoy his storytelling. Just read Ten Birds That Changed The World-would have been a much better book had the author not been politically motivated to turn some of it into a liberal editorial. They Mark My Steps by Michael Simpson is a book I not only enjoyed reading, I was honored to be asked to write the Foreword for it. To indulge my curiosity of hunting history I tracked down a copy of an 1823 copy of John D. Hunter's Manners and Customs of Several Indian Tribes Located West of the Mississippi, which includes some interesting tidbits of firsthand observation of a white captive reporting hunting techniques of a few midwest tribes including turkey hunting.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

eggshell

I think a composite of stories from posters on old gobbler would make a good read. They wouldn't even have to be hunt recaps. Maybe someone could do some on a podcast....hint hint

Zobo

Quote from: GobbleGitr on January 24, 2024, 11:26:44 PM
They Mark My Steps by Michael Simpson is a book I not only enjoyed reading, I was honored to be asked to write the Foreword for it.

This is a must read for me now!

Zobo

Quote from: eggshell on January 25, 2024, 07:27:33 AM
I think a composite of stories from posters on old gobbler would make a good read. They wouldn't even have to be hunt recaps. Maybe someone could do some on a podcast....hint hint

Good idea, we certainly have some provocative threads here!

reflexl

Quote from: Zobo on January 21, 2024, 07:43:35 PM
    What have you read, watched or listened to that sticks with you and you would recommend?
    I just got this Doug Camp book that I've been wanting to read for a long time. Haven't started it yet.

That is a Jewel!

Paulmyr

Quote from: Zobo on January 25, 2024, 10:04:53 AM

Hey! wait sec. I know of such a podcast. They've already had Gobblenut on as a guest and their going to be releasing an episode real soon featuring and interview with wingbone call maker EZ Tony Ezolt, who also frequents this site as well.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

YoungGobbler

Quote from: Paulmyr on January 25, 2024, 01:06:21 PM

What's that podcast!?
Hey! wait sec. I know of such a podcast. They've already had Gobblenut on as a guest and their going to be releasing an episode real soon featuring and interview with wingbone call maker EZ Tony Ezolt, who also frequents this site as well.

mcw3734

Recently finished reading Beaver Land - How One Weird Rodent Made America by Leila Philip. Cool wildlife book, I recommend it.

Currently reading Theodore Roosevelt on Leadership, Executive Lessons from the Bully Pulpit by James M. Strock. Early on, but like it so far.

Just today received three that are on deck: A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold, Coyote America by Dan Flores and American Buffalo by Steve Rinella.

Listening to? I usually keep up with the Turkey Science Podcast and the Backcountry Hunters & Anglers Podcast & Blast.

Paulmyr

Quote from: YoungGobbler on January 26, 2024, 07:09:44 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on January 25, 2024, 01:06:21 PM

What's that podcast!?

It's called the Off the Roost Podcast. Mossberg90MN and I host it. We started releasing episodes a few weeks ago.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.